Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you ride a Sportster?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Gypsy883l
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you ride a Sportster?

Now that we know what everyone does to bring home the bacon, why do you choose to ride a Sportster? I am riding my second Sportster and absolutely love these bikes. They are light, easy to maneuver, and fun to ride. I put lots of miles on my bike and see no reason to ride a bigger bike. If I wanted to be on a super smooth ride with radio, cruise control, etc. I would just drive my car

[IMG]local://upfiles/59704/A8268975BF6A426B92D8EBCBFB97910C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2008, 05:47 AM
ChefE
Tourer
Default RE: Why do you ride a Sportster?

I ride a Sportster for many reasons. For one, the price was right when I was able to get another bike after several years of not riding. The main reason though is that it is what I have always wanted since I was a kid. I have always been in love with the looks of the Sporty. Like you said, they are quick and just plain fun to ride. I have had bikes from Hondas to Triumphs, and this is by far the most I have enjoyed riding. I don't know if it's because it's a HD or a Sportster in particular, or just the fact that I finally got the bike I wanted as a kid, but I am having a blast. I would like to get a Road King somewhere down the line to go along with the Sportster, but even if I don't, I have the bike I want and it does everything I ever need it to do.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:55 AM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the time just price!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Fogoms
Road Captain

I ride a Sportster because I like it. No point in riding something that I don't like. I also ride one because that's what I own. So far nobody's offered to let me ride their bike, so I have to ride what I have.

Seriously, I can afford a bigger bike but I don't want one. I sat on a RK at the dealer and felt like I was on a freakin' bus. Nothing against them, they're perfect for what they're designed for, but it's not me. Tell you what, though: one day I'll own a Harley tourer beacuse my wife likes to ride 2-up with me and the hints have already started. But I'll keep the Sporty for sure.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

So's not to put bags and a windshield on it.Yeech.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:30 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

1 - It shakes like hell, my mirrors are just decorations at a redlight. Possibly worse because I run struts. That is something I will miss if I ever move up to a counter-balanced engine.
2 - It is fast.
3 - I don't cry when I screw something up when cutting, chopping, messing with stuff since I don't have $20k invested in it.
4 - 1200 Custom...It came factory with lots of chrome
5- Price above all, with the $125 per month plan, it's the only Harley I could afford.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Sportster because when we went to the Harley place to look just to look my wife litterly fell in love with thedark green envy and light green envy 1200C that we took home. I rode my brothers 1992 ElectraGlide Sport many times over the years, while it's a fine ride I wanted something simpler and more agile. I'm 66 years old but still consider myself a red blooded American boy and as such onbly a Harley would do. That's it.

It now Sports 13.5 inch Progressive 440 standards and the new progressive fronts came yesterday.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 AM
TigerofH
Tourer

I have a couple of reasons. The price was right for one. Two, I hate the "grandpa" bikes as I call them. And three, I'm with gypsy, if I wanted cruise control and a radio, I would drive my car.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TigerofH

I have a couple of reasons. The price was right for one. Two, I hate the "grandpa" bikes as I call them. And three, I'm with gypsy, if I wanted cruise control and a radio, I would drive my car.
Grandpa Bikes ???? Now that's a low blow and insulting. It would be more politically correct to use the term Geezer Glide. At least that's what my wife calles my bagger.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had previous ones and liked them a lot.
My current one looked quite lonely on the showroom floor. I was looking at a used Dyna 3 bikes down from it, but everytime I would glance over at it, it would sit up and wag it's tail.So I decided to give it a good home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you ride a Sportster?