Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

disassemble Deutch Connectors

Old 05-03-2008, 07:23 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default disassemble Deutch Connectors

I am doing an internal wire job and need to take apart the Deutch Connectors on my 07 Dyna. I have them disconnected, but cannot find any tabs inside to take them apart. I looked at the post (MY APE INSTALL) https://www.hdforums.com/m_1328001/tm.htm
but can't figure it out. Any help?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:40 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: disassemble Deutch Connectors

The tabs are there. They are grey and part of the housing located near the center of the connector. If you think of the orange wedge you removed, it forces the tabs out towards the wire ends. After you remove the wedge, you have to push the tabs toward the center of the connector (away from the wire) and pull each wire out.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:47 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You are going to have a hard time pulling apart the Deutsch connectors on a 2007 Dyna when they changed to Molex connectors on all 2007 and higher models!

Do a search for Molex connectors.................

Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior

Got it. Just pull the rubber grommet out carefully, then use the same pick procedure as the tailight connectors.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
factoryhdtech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a common question that I get asked in the shop. What you have to do is once you have the connectors apart, look inside the connector leading up to the handlebars. You should see a white plastic "plate" with 2 "d" shapedholes in the center. Grab this with your needle nose pliers from the holes, and gently pull towards you. Theplate will move approx. 1/4 of an inch, but will NOT pull out completely. This is the locking mechanism for the connector. You have just unlocked it.Once this is done you should have noticed by now the other smaller holes in the plate.(Harley makes a special tool for this step, but you can improvise with a larger style paperclip). One at a time, grasp the wire and insert the tip of your modified paperclip into the hole adjacent to the wire, and it should slide right out.

Continue this for all the wires, paying close attention to their location for re-assembly.

Hope this helps!
-CS

Old 05-03-2008, 07:52 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior

Scotty,
Thanks, I got it. I was about half a beer away from getting the soldering iron out. This is such a common bitch with people and these connectors. They are great though, once you get the hang of it.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior

factoryhdtech,
Thats what I ended up doing trial and error. Felt like a pigeon slapping a lever for food. Eventually it worked. I used a hook/pick tool to pull the plug up and unlock, then it made sense. This internal wire job is shaping up to be an all-nighter. I am going to re-locate the turn signals at the same time, so I think I will have less wires to run through the bars once I sort it out. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I already posted something in the dyna thread but then I found this one.

How do you determine where pin #1 is on the connector? Trying to verify layout against what is described in the service manual schematics. I looked for a marking or anything on the connectors and/or photos in the sm pointing it out.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Ladd industries are the people who import them to the US. Look for every bit of information you will ever need