Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King inner primary leak

Old 05-13-2008, 03:56 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King inner primary leak

Anybody else have an inner primary leak on their Road King or other touring bike? I have 23,000 miles on my '05 and it leaves a drop every other day if I'm riding it alot. Already changed the drain plug and primary cover gasket, but no change. Seems to be oil on the inside of the primary but can't tell exactly where it's coming from.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Road King inner primary leak

my '05 has about 40,000 and not a drop anywhere - best thing to do is clean it up really good with alcohol or brake clean, and watch it closely to pinpoint where it's coming from - maybe a paper towel on the floor to see where the first drop is hitting, then lookstraight up, might get you a little closer - gotta find it first, then work on the fix, don't take stabs in the dark, can be a waste of time - you might even put something on the area of the leak, like some wax (don't wipe it off) and this might help to pinpoint it also - cover everything under the whole area

Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm leaving next week for a 2800 mile trip with 3 other bikes. I think I'm going to have the dealer pull the inner primary off and locate the leak and repair it. Don't want to run through the deserts out here and have the leak get worse.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:54 PM
JTRK2
5th Gear

My 03 Road King leaked on the inner primary. It was the seal where the starter shaft went through the inner primary. Took the dealer twice to get the leak stopped. Everything has to come off. Pain in the a**. It would only leak a couple drops a week but started throwing oil on the belt.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:15 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

Mine does the same thing.Can't pinpoint it,I have cleaned it off and watch it and nothing.Then it comes back,driving me nuts.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:11 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My '07 RKC with 16,000 miles appears to be leaking from the mainshaft seal on the transmission side.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure it's the primary? I had a mystery drip like that too that was frustrating. Ended up I'd overfilled the tranny by a couple ounces and that was the source of my grief. The source was from somewhere on the inside surface of the primary area but i just couldnt tell where.

Now Iknow toput 22 ounces of fluid in the tranny when I do an oil change and haven't dripped at all since.

If you overfill it forces it's way out. Maybe it's as simple a problemas that if you're lucky.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

My '07 RKC with 16,000 miles appears to be leaking from the mainshaft seal on the transmission side.
It looks like that is my problem also. Was looking for an excuse to go with a chromed inner primary, now I will since the primary has to come off.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I had the same problem. Is the oil dripping from the bottom of the primary directly under the clutch/derby cover? Shine a light down behind the primary where the transmission shaft comes through the inner primary. Is that area coated with a fine mist of oil, too? If so, then the problem is most likely the jackshaft seal, and the oil you're seeing is actually from the transmission, not the primary. They are notorious for leaking. The "easiest" way to get to the seal is by removing the outer primary, primary chain and inner primary. A royal pain for one little o-ring seal. I had the dealer repair mine...if it leaks again, they fix it for free!

Old 05-14-2008, 10:41 AM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TheBlackBastard

I had the same problem. Is the oil dripping from the bottom of the primary directly under the clutch/derby cover? Shine a light down behind the primary where the transmission shaft comes through the inner primary. Is that area coated with a fine mist of oil, too? If so, then the problem is most likely the jackshaft seal, and the oil you're seeing is actually from the transmission, not the primary. They are notorious for leaking. The "easiest" way to get to the seal is by removing the outer primary, primary chain and inner primary. A royal pain for one little o-ring seal. I had the dealer repair mine...if it leaks again, they fix it for free!
That is where it's leaking.Stealer is fixing mine right now. I'll be putting some serious highway miles on it the next two months, so I want it done right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road King inner primary leak