Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch won't disengage

Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
livetoride2112
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch won't disengage

I have a 2001 XL Sportster with about 35K miles. The clutch won't disengage. I felt it get soft and go almost to the point of not working on a roughly 50 mile trip. I adjusted it per the manual and it worked and felt great for about a mile. Then it went out all at once. I removed the derby cover and observed the action when the clutch lever is pulled in. The lever pulls the outer ramp like it is supposed to but the entire assembly turns. I can actually turn the adjusting screw while the locking plate is still in place. When I tried to pull the locking plate to attempt to adjust the adjusting screw again, the entire assembly tried to pull out with the lockplate. The more I read the manual, the more I think merely changing the clutch pack isn't going to fix it. All the mechanics in my area are booked for the next 4-6 weeks. Ideas, anyone?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Default RE: Clutch won't disengage

This may not apply to your problem, but your XL has the same clutch as the pre 98 EVO's. My 03 XLH does.

The dampener spring assembly has riveted fingers in it. My clutch got hard to release and finally would not disengage.

Look at post #13 https://www.hdforums.com/m_2261392/tm.htm

Your 'entire assembly' is not clear, to me anyway. My clutch rod (80" EVO release is pushed from right hand side) still moved, but...

Take some time to read the discovery process. I had to ultimately remove the compensator and clutch assembly and disassemble the clutch package. If your spring plate pack has failed, I don't think you will be able to just replace the clutch pack. The 'release plate' lock ring won't come off, due to FOD in the pack.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 AM
livetoride2112
6th Gear

I read your whole thread. It sounds like I may have the same problem. I've heard nothing good about these spring plates. The brass rivets wear on the steel and then let go. If I have to change out the pack, I'm going to eliminate it. Where did you find the compression tool? I know it will be top dollar from Harley.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

J&P Cycles - http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...5-6C7F6BFDF42F

Bought the Big Twins Extra plate kit,Kevlar, (Synthetic primary lube not recommended), by EnergyOne

Our03 Sporty has only 2500 Miles, so I have not dug into it yet, but that plate will go as soon as I can get a chance.

You may have to use the compression tool on the bench with the clutch pack out, if yours went the way the 96 EGC did.

PM me if you decide to not buy the tool.

Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/D25DAECB1EFC4AB8A15C7151913FBEDD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2008, 07:01 AM
livetoride2112
6th Gear

Thanks. I'll dig into it as soon as I get a chance. The girfriend just moved in and I've got to get her squared away before I can get into it. It's really bumming me out. I've missed some good riding days already. Too bad it didn't let go last November.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

Yah, Crap Happens. Mine started in September 07and by the time I got fixin all I broke along with the clutch, it was December 07.

I rode the Sporty for a while.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
livetoride2112
6th Gear

It looks like I have a different problem. The adjusting screw and inner/outer ramp all pulled out of the assembly. The bearing is tore in half. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/61398/E28EBD6FDF3C4A35AE7321C408828FB3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/61398/6DA80731DCD745378895577426A66492.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2008, 11:01 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

Have not been into a Sporty Primary before. Till mine went south I had never been into an EVO Primary before.

Good thing about No Shame... I'll ride it, and fix it, or learn something in the process.

If that was your 'Release Bearing', then it looks like maybe there was no Free Travel causing the bearing to run constantly. Again I am out of any area of particular expertise, but I have seen Cage release bearings let go. All on the Push, not the Pull action.

Your entire primary area needs to be cleaned, duh, but check the rotor and stator for all those misssing bearing pieces.

Stay with it.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

While you have it down, get rid of those spring plates. An extra 100 bucks or so. JMNSHO

Old 05-24-2008, 10:21 AM
livetoride2112
6th Gear

This repair wasn't too bad. I'm leaving the repair information in case someone else needs this thread. The adjusting screw is held in by an internal snap ring. Pull the ring and the whole assembly come out. Press the outer race out of the aluminum hub. Clean out all foreign objects, replace the screw and the bearing, press the new bearing into the aluminum hub and put the bearing on the screw (replace the little external snap ring). Replace all seals, reassemble and adjust per the manual. Run a few miles, change the oil and check it for metal shavings. Repeat until all shavings are gone.
Thank you FLGEEZ for your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch won't disengage