Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SE EFI Super Tuner

Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SE EFI Super Tuner

The new pricy super tuner is out and I wanted to know if there exists canned pre-programmed settings (to avoid cost of dyno) that can be uploaded so as to make my bike that only has the SE pipes and SE airintake run with a richer fuel mixture to cool down the bike and to also lower the idle rpms. Appreciate any information. Thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Default RE: SE EFI Super Tuner

rapz:

Yes the new Pro Tuner Software includes "canned" mapsjust as with the previous SERT.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 PM
rapz
Road Captain

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:24 AM
heng
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the previousinterface compatible with the new super SERT software?
Thanks.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The new Super Tuner (and I use those words loosly) can't read the MT5 nor the MT6 files of the older versions....the Super Tuner file are a MTO file.

There are no files or canned maps in or around the Super Tuner that you can down load and honestly say you don't need dyno time....it just won't happen.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain

Doc,

Not disputing you at all but could you elaborate on not being able to download canned maps with the new Super Tuner? Sounds like you're not too impressed with it. I just ordered one for my 08 SERK in hopes of putting a canned map on it until I can get it Dyno tuned. The stock exhaust is just too quiet but I don't think I should dyno until the engine is at least broken in. Whats your thoughts on that? Here's a quote from HD's description of the product:

"From the new P&A catalog:

Screamin’ Eagle® Pro EFI Super Tuner

Get the biggest advantage at the race track with the Screamin’ Eagle® Pro EFI Super
Tuner. The hardware and software in the Super Tuner feature a completely new design
that makes EFI tuning faster and easier, through dozens of brand new features and innovative
tuning enhancements. Super Tuner is available in 7 languages (English, Spanish,
German, French, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, and Dutch), and is compatible with
Windows XP and Vista.
The Super Tuner Kit includes an ergonomically improved Vehicle Communication
Interface (VCI) box and a Software CD. The new VCI allows USB connectivity to your
PC and contains on board memory for a full 15 minutes of data recording, tracking up to
26 data variables. Data recording is conveniently activated with a push of a button, allowing
the VCI to be taken to the track to gather data during true race conditions. Cable
kit (P/N 32184-08) is sold separately and provides all necessary connections between
Motorcycle, VCI, and PC / Laptop.
The New Super Tuner Software is easy to use with a large icon layout, compatible with
touch screen laptops, the ability to work in 4 windows (tables) at one time, and enhanced
help tools to keep you on track. Data and Tuning functions are combined into a single
application, insuring you are only 2 clicks away from any major tuning function. With a
click of a button, the new software automatically connects to the internet and updates to
the most current version as well as retrieves the newest calibrations developed by professional
Screamin’ Eagle calibrators. Software contains built-in model recognition that filters
calibrations, listing those that are applicable to your model. State of the art graphing
capabilities illustrate tables clearly, highlighting areas for improvement, and are fully scalable
and customizable. Additional features include editable calibration text, custom note
fields, drag and drop, cut and paste, and printing capability.
To get you on the track quickly, Screamin’ Eagle offers a comprehensive computer based
training DVD, (P/N 32101-08). Available in February 2008. For race application only.

Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner Kit
32109-08 $549.95

Fits fuel injected ’02-later VRSC™, ’07-later XL, ’04-later Dyna®, ’01-later Softail®, and ’02-later
Touring models.

Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner Cable Kit
32184-08 $39.95

Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner Training DVD
32101-08 $29.95 For use with Super Tuner P/N 32109-08.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone is interested Zanotti HD is selling it for $428.95.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

You can still down load maps from the Super Tuner...but they are just that, a canned map is only a starting point. You have to do exactly what you had to do with the old tuner...there is no magic in this new tuner. It has the same maps as the old tuner but they are a MTO file now instead of a MT5 or MT6 file.When I say it has the same maps I am speaking in general ,ie there might be some small changes in timing or fuel but are basically the same as the old maps....if you don't have all SE parts it won't be as close as it would if it did have all SE parts.The Super Tuner has all the same tuning tables to work with but a new way to access the tables with their new software program. TheONLY thing I found to be different is it allows the computer to talk the the ECM via a USB port and Vista works this year. There is less clicking with a mouse to get to the tuning tables which is stated as easier to tune....sorry but you still have to go through the process you did before this up graded tuner. The last BIG change is it allows you to record 15 min of data without carrying a lap top with you......this doesn't mean you push this magic button, ride for 15 min then program it into the computer and it is all done, matter of fact I don't see how this helps the tuner get his job done any faster or better....it's just bells and whistles as far as I'm concerned.

Bottom line is you still have toDyno tune your buildto dial in the canned map to your configuration, it doesn't happen any faster nor are there any short cuts if you want it done correctly. There is the option of the system (I forgot the name) that replaces your stock 02 sensors with a set of wide band sensors and while you ride it tells you what VE grid your at and what number to install in that grid. I believe it is called the 'TwinScan'....this system will get you MUCH closer than 15 minute data runs with the Super Tuner alone. The Twin Scan works with the Race Tuner....it gives you the information and the Tuner will open the ECM to program in the new information.
This system has been a proven upgrade to a canned map but still can't beaat a good Dyno Operator with the right knowledge of the Race Tuner or Super Tuner.

I'm not bashing this product I'm just stating it's the same thing in a different package and it isn't magic or a self learner that some have been led to believe. The tune up is still a 4 to 5 hour job for the average experienced tuner.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

..... The last BIG change is it allows you to record 15 min of data without carrying a lap top with you......this doesn't mean you push this magic button, ride for 15 min then program it into the computer and it is all done, matter of fact I don't see how this helps the tuner get his job done any faster or better....it's just bells and whistles as far as I'm concerned.

Bottom line is you still have toDyno tune your buildto dial in the canned map to your configuration, it doesn't happen any faster nor are there any short cuts if you want it done correctly.

I'm not bashing this product I'm just stating it's the same thing in a different package and it isn't magic or a self learner that some have been led to believe. The tune up is still a 4 to 5 hour job for the average experienced tuner.
Doc,

Excuse my ignorance, but could one not record several riding sessions with the new Super SERT, perhaps under real road conditions from idle to WOT and then come back and make adjustments? Why would you need Dyno time if you can road test under any condition you want to tune for? Seems like HD is making it easier for the layman to dial in their bike. Thats a good thing I think.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

Well again you have the same option with the old tuner but you have to pack a lap top along for the ride, matter of fact if you hook up the new Tuner with a lap top you can record 30 minutes of data just like the old version could. A 15 min session of data is not a lot of usable information for tuning when under real road conditions things are changing in fuel delivery and timing by the different map loads on the engine. On a dyno I have control of these conditions and I can hold the throttle position and rpm right where it needs to be for a sample of the fuel delivery for however long it takes....this is impossible to do on the road. If it takes 4~5 hours to do dial in the VE Tables in a controlled situation how many 15 min rides do you think it would take you to get the optimum fuel and timing delivery set right.
With information gathered on a road test and knowing how to read that information you can get the bike to run better than what a canned map will give you but will it be good enough to call it a tune up....not even close. You see, a bike will run fine at15:1 to 11:1 but is it right.....my point is most people don't know what a good running bike feels like until you ride one that has been PROPERLY tuned by a good tuner....it's a WORLD apart. Now my problem is I love using the Race Tuner but anything other than perfection isn't good enough for me or my customers and this is where we might differ when it comes to doing it your self with 15 min road test vs doing it to optimum performance on a dyno in the least amount of time.
I truly believe that the public is being led to believe just what your trying to tell me but in reality you would be changing your tires before you could get a good tune doing road data runs compared to properly synchronized Map made on the dyno.
I don't want to discourage you from giving you skills a shot, I'm sure it will bea learning experience and a lot of fun, but bottom line you won't reach optimum performance in your $15,000.00 investnment.....I think your Harley deserves to have the best, how about you.

Good Luck
Doc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SE EFI Super Tuner