Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog Tunes, Hog wired, Biketronics

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hog Tunes, Hog wired, Biketronics

Just to bad there isn't a way to hear them all. I need to get an amp and speakers now that I have my pipes good and loud. I was set on Hawg Wired then I went to their website and found they have 120 watt and 150 watt amps. Then they have 2 ohm and 4 ohm speakers. What's the big difference? Then I found out about biketronics. They look good too. I was thinking Hog Tunes but not sure if they will be loud enough.

This sucks. Wish they had all these brands at Best Buy and Circuit City and you could test them all. I want to hear the difference.
Bummer.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 AM
maxflhx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hog Tunes, Hog wired, Biketronics

No such luck on that, these are smaller companys working off internet sales only. You'll have to rely on free advice and you get what you pay for. I'm happy withmyBiketronics set up, it's not super loud but I can hear it at 80 and itsounds clean.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:30 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: maxflhx

No such luck on that, these are smaller companys working off internet sales only. You'll have to rely on free advice and you get what you pay for. I'm happy withmyBiketronics set up, it's not super loud but I can hear it at 80 and itsounds clean.
I noticed that Hawg wired and biketronics have different amps too. Which one did you get? The amps at biketronics with the speakers are over $600. They better be loud!!

Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 AM
a911scanner
Cruiser

Just like the motor...more power is better!

Remember that you have to overcome 50-80mph worth of wind noise, so the louder it can go without distoring, the better.

With 2ohm vs. 4ohm, the amp will have to work harder (read hotter faster)to get the same volume level with the 4 ohm resistors (speakers)

I saw your other post about what amp to get... I didn't answer because you seem to be one of those folks that really isn't educated in the art of 12v electronics (and maybe you don't know someone who is). Therefore, my more than educated opinion would be to get one of the Plug & Play options you've listed above vs. doing something like I did with a "non-Harley" amp.

I don't have any experience with the products that are recommended on this site, so I guess if I were in your shoes, I would get the most amount of power I could for the lowest price I could.

If it was a difference of $50 or less from one manufactuer to another for the same power, I wold then go with whichever one has the best service/return policy. According to the forum, sounds like Pez might win that battle.

MM

Old 05-18-2008, 09:54 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: a911scanner

Just like the motor...more power is better!

Remember that you have to overcome 50-80mph worth of wind noise, so the louder it can go without distoring, the better.

With 2ohm vs. 4ohm, the amp will have to work harder (read hotter faster)to get the same volume level with the 4 ohm resistors (speakers)

I saw your other post about what amp to get... I didn't answer because you seem to be one of those folks that really isn't educated in the art of 12v electronics (and maybe you don't know someone who is). Therefore, my more than educated opinion would be to get one of the Plug & Play options you've listed above vs. doing something like I did with a "non-Harley" amp.

I don't have any experience with the products that are recommended on this site, so I guess if I were in your shoes, I would get the most amount of power I could for the lowest price I could.

If it was a difference of $50 or less from one manufactuer to another for the same power, I wold then go with whichever one has the best service/return policy. According to the forum, sounds like Pez might win that battle.

MM
Pez has been helpful but I don't think his amps are loud enough. The Biketronics and Hawg Wired are 120 and 150 watts as opposed to 50 from Hog Tunes. Hog tunes set up is around $300 as opposed to $600-700 for the other 2. Are these really plug and play and easy to install for someone that knows nothing about electronics?

Old 05-18-2008, 10:56 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Biketronics is pretty easy to install. we just did another one and it is plug an play. If you can read instructions you can do it. If not their tech is excellent.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:45 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: miacycles

Biketronics is pretty easy to install. we just did another one and it is plug an play. If you can read instructions you can do it. If not their tech is excellent.
How simple is it? Does the amp just plug into the stereo and sit on top?

Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, it is a plug and play, we got the 85 amp as we only have 4" speakers on our '95 FLHTC.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:12 PM
maxflhx
Tourer

Easy install, same deal as in a car: power, ground, turn on lead and speakers. I ran the battery lead under the tank and zip tied it so I didn't have to lift the tank off. The whole install wasaround two hours taking my time.
I suppose I have the first generation amp from Biketronics, at least it's the only one they offered at the time. I'm using Polk/MomoMMC525 speakers and it sounds good. It's not audiofile quality but as I'm playing MP3's on a motorcycle it doesn't have to be. If you listento Ted Nugent it's great, but you might want to go louder if your into John Denver.
Hope this helps, shiny side up.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:19 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

John Denver

Ruleslol

Quick Reply: Hog Tunes, Hog wired, Biketronics