Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas

Old 05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
samcphie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas

Does anyone have experience riding from the US down the Baja penninsula to Cabo San Lucas? Roads, safety, overall joy or pain?
Thanks.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:26 PM
socalmoe
Tourer
Default RE: ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas

Beware, I am sure it would be an awsome ride, but to me the risks involved are not worth it. Corrupt cops, drug dealers, **** poor medical response, etc. The economic situation has incrased crime to an all time high.
Fly there and enjoy, beatiful resorts, graet eats and beer, but riding there, I think not.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
SCRider
Cruiser

It's a scary place right now. With the borders getting harder to cross, the drug cartels are in an epic battle to control the remaining business. Additionally, more and more tourists are being kidnapped and held for ransom money. They will cut off your ear and send it to your family in a box along with their request for money. And with the cops on the take, it is truly like the old wild west. Oh Yeah, you will also have to sleep with your bike if you want to keep it.

But other than that, its a great ride. Have fun.[sm=shootshoot.gif]

Old 05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Motown_HOG
Road Master

I wouldn't do it at this time... Too many dangers associated with a ride into Mexico. For the past year the drug cartel violence has been at an all-time high. Too many murders and kidnappings for me to take the chance.

It would be an awesome ride if you could do it safely though... I've thought about it, but decided against it. Unless you got a HUGE group of bikes going down I would say hell no!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:16 PM
gene01
Road Captain

normally I would say what a great ride, everyone is right, crime is at an alltime high, the drug cartell is killing cops, military personell and innocent victims, if you want to enjoy a bike ride and being on the coast in Mexico I would recommend the Rocky Point ride out of Gila Bend............Gila Bend is just across the California border about 240 miles from San Diego............ this ride has thousands of riders, you end up in a luxury beach area in Mexico ... this city is all about American tourists...I bet you can check it out on this website, look under Southwest and search puerta penasco or more likely Rocky Point...

Good luck

I see you are out of Salt Lake, I have to go there next month to a bbq contest at Snow Bird..

Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

I did the Rocky Point Rally in Mexico last year. It was a lot of fun and no problems crossing the border or in Rocky Point. Lots of motels to stay in and not to pricey. The seafood is great. This year the dates are November 6-9th and I'm planning on going again. They say a passport is'nt necessary this year, but I'm going to get one of the new passport cards that you can carry in your wallet. See you there.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:56 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Most the roads have been redone because of the growing tourism in the area. Cabo San lucas is a party town and has great hotels and marina. The cruise ships come in and it gets busy but it's a great town...Sammy Hagars bar is in town and it's huge. If you continue down the coast to San Jose Del Cabo you will find a great clean town with great people....Shooters downtown has a buck a beer every afternoon. If you travel inland towards Todo Santos you will find great beaches and bars off the beatin trail. Todo Santos is an artsy town with what the say is Hotel California right down town. The Baja is a well kept secret and the cleanest place in all of Mexico...roads are great...and as long as you fuel up when you can you would have a great time. Planning is the key.

Since i have actuallytraveled it and been there, it's fantastic.

Perhaps most of the other posts you can take with a grain of salt.......imagination of banditos and assassins all over the place is all speculation.....and pure BS. If people are going to respond to posts i wish they actually knew what they were talking about instead of guessing...and pretending to have a bit of intelligence.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/06864ED53A584926932CB5E2ECA4054A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 have been going there for years. Don't even try to use your cell phone. its very expensive.
ORIGINAL: jeffbarb17

Most the roads have been redone because of the growing tourism in the area. Cabo San lucas is a party town and has great hotels and marina. The cruise ships come in and it gets busy but it's a great town...Sammy Hagars bar is in town and it's huge. If you continue down the coast to San Jose Del Cabo you will find a great clean town with great people....Shooters downtown has a buck a beer every afternoon. If you travel inland towards Todo Santos you will find great beaches and bars off the beatin trail. Todo Santos is an artsy town with what the say is Hotel California right down town. The Baja is a well kept secret and the cleanest place in all of Mexico...roads are great...and as long as you fuel up when you can you would have a great time. Planning is the key.

Since i have actually traveled it and been there, it's fantastic.

Perhaps most of the other posts you can take with a grain of salt....... imagination of banditos and assassins all over the place is all speculation.....and pure BS. If people are going to respond to posts i wish they actually knew what they were talking about instead of guessing...and pretending to have a bit of intelligence.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
gene01
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jeffbarb17

Since i have actuallytraveled it and been there, it's fantastic.

Perhaps most of the other posts you can take with a grain of salt.......imagination of banditos and assassins all over the place is all speculation.....and pure BS. If people are going to respond to posts i wish they actually knew what they were talking about instead of guessing...and pretending to have a bit of intelligence.

Hmmm, wonder if the 36 folks at the last shootout that left in body bags were speculating too, their families must have gone to the funeral all in fun? I am not specualting, I am actually a mexican citizen, own tremendous amounts of property in Mexico , I choose to live in the US San DIego near the border but at the beach, I have recently seen pictures of one of the shootouts where the police gave up as they were all getting killed, the military interveined and they were getting their asses killed too, the news in the US said apprx. 16 dead, I saw a pic of the bodies and there were 32 in the picture...I will stay on this side fore a while, the problem is mainely in the first 35 miles, once you are south of Puerto Nuevo, you should be fine, getting to that point you may consider prayer.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Navitimer
Cruiser

In addition to what others have said, make sure you call your insurance agent to see if you need to buy additional coverage. I don't think many policies cover out-of-country casualties unless there are specific provisions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ride Baja to Cabo San Lucas