Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander Mapping for better fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 AM
emsav8er
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander Mapping for better fuel economy

I have a 2005 Ultra Classic with headers, V&H ovals and SE stage 1 filter. I Dyno'ed it several months ago and It was MAPPED out and has power at the ying-yang. It came at a cost of fuel economy though. With the recentfuel prices, I was wondering if the map could be tweeked a little to get a little more MPG's. I don't have a problem in loosing a little HP for some better MPG's. I can always remap it back for the power if I need too. I ride about 2000 miles a month and the fuel savings would be benificial but I also don't want to damage my engine either. I've never changed a map before other than when I installed the generic map from the download from their website. Any help or advice would be greatly appriciated.

Scott

Old 05-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander Mapping for better fuel economy

I've been trying to figure out my mpg problems for over a year. My '05 EG classic wouldnt' give me over 30-31 mpg no matter how easy I rode it (28-29 mpg was easy to do if I got on it at all). I installed a PCIII last year hoping to get better economy out of it and eliminate the pinging I had.There wasno improvement in the mpg though the pinging was eliminated completely. For this past year I've still been baffled as to why I had such lousy fuel economy since I ride very conservatively and log 135 miles a day on my commute. At $4.39 a gallon maximum economy is becoming a big priority.

Just this week after talking to one of our members of the forum here I took my bike to the dealership and asked them to hook up the computer and see what download my bike had flashed into the ECM when it had the 95" stage II kit installed a couple years ago when my Dad had the bike. They found that it had the stage II high output program in it (not surprising as this is what it should have). In talking to a member here on the forum and also a dyno guy locally here I realized the program in my ECM might be conflicting with the PCIII.

At their suggestion we cleared out the download in the ECM to "stock" original. The program currently in my PCIII is a download off the website approximating my bike's set-up. I want to dyno it soon, but the $300-$400 is always difficult to come up with lately to get the dyno done.

Anyways, with clearing out the ECM stage II download I've gained about 6 to 7 mpg so far from what I can tell - a dramatic improvement. Now its just the PCIII working thru the ECM with a stock setting in it. You may want to look into whether this might be causing your problem if you had anything other than a stock setting in your ECM...

Old 05-30-2008, 10:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Change your map as per the attached JPG. It won't affect overall performance since you're dealing only with the cruise range (<40% TP and <3k RPM). My bike gets 40 (city) to 50mpg (backroads). If you don't have an oil cooler keep an eye on oil temps, as I have no feedback yet from folks running this tweak without one. If you hear detonation, feel surging when hot (cold is okay), or feel excessive heat, add +5 at a time (or less) to the blocks in the JPG, but no higher than in your original map in any given block.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4327/042B0CA2396A474AACA21F9E820A7A1C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 PM
emsav8er
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for input. I'll give it a try and tell you what it changes. Do you know if running anything less than 91 octain will do to this bike. Everything that i have read so far is that the only thing that the upper octain numbers do is reduce the threshold for pinging and as long as your engine doesn't ping the lower octain fuel will be ok. Any input???????

Old 06-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Altitude has a lot to do with need for octane. The higher the altitude the less octane needed. If your bike is not pinging with a lower octane fuel then their is no need to use a higher octane rating. As far a fuel mileage, I have a Road Glide with V&H two into one exhaust and a Big Sucker II air filter. I use a PCIII with a stock ECM. I have made minor changes to the supplied settings and average about 48 MPG doing mainly mountain road riding.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:30 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluesssman

Altitude has a lot to do with need for octane. The higher the altitude the less octane needed. If your bike is not pinging with a lower octane fuel then their is no need to use a higher octane rating. As far a fuel mileage, I have a Road Glide with V&H two into one exhaust and a Big Sucker II air filter. I use a PCIII with a stock ECM. I have made minor changes to the supplied settings and average about 48 MPG doing mainly mountain road riding.
Do the mods you made to your map look anything like iclick's map above?
Those changes just seem awfully lean to me for stage 1.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: emsav8er

Thanks for input. I'll give it a try and tell you what it changes. Do you know if running anything less than 91 octain will do to this bike. Everything that i have read so far is that the only thing that the upper octain numbers do is reduce the threshold for pinging and as long as your engine doesn't ping the lower octain fuel will be ok. Any input???????
We have mostly 93-octane in this area as our premium, and that's what I use and have tuned for. I have tried 92-octane on occasion and it works fine, but I would expect detonation if you go below 91- or 92-octane. We have 87, 89, and 92-93 octane in this area--a big jump between medium- and high-octane. Let me know how it works with lower octane if you try it! The problem I see is that with the ion-discharge knock-sensor you may not hear detonation at all, with the system retarding the timing before that point occurs. This will hurt performance and possible gas mileage. On my bike I have heard brief detonation just before it makes its adjustment, which tells me what I need to know. If I get detonation I either richen the mixture or retard the timing, but never below zero for the latter.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bluesssman

I would also like to see your tweaks. I'm not sure how your mountain riding relates to mine here at sea level, but my old carbed RK got much better mileage when riding in CO, MT, etc., often around 60mpg. No experience yet on this SG in the mountains, except AR and the TX hill country, which aren't that high by comparison. I didn't do well in AR (October), but made some tweaks and got good results for my TX trip last April, averaging 45.5mpg (high of 50.5) even with 1100 miles of interstate running. That was only slightly off my old Evo RK on the same trip two years previous, which was a real gas miser.