Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting Electra Glide to Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 PM
lionpride1985
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Converting Electra Glide to Road King

Debated it when i bought it, now really believe I like the Road King look better than the full fairing. How involved is it to convert my full fairing electra glide to the front look of the Road King?

I know my bed, lie in it, but I find myself regretting my look over the other. Constructive help would be appreciated.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Older Guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Converting Electra Glide to Road King

Unless you strip all the tins and fairing,and start with just the frame it will never be a road king.Why is it people buy somthing and then want it to be something else? I know how you feel but live with it and enjoy it, you are going to spend $$$$$$$ anyway you look at it.
John

[IMG]local://upfiles/1698/07509B4934E1404381CF5F1B1AA32191.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Trade down to a road king.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
lionpride1985
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe I was not clear, not the bike the look. Basicly the same bike, just like the big windshield. Like I said debated this on purchasek, went with the full fairing because I am doing long rides. Glacier National Park, Seattle and the like. Thought the full fairing would be more protection on cooler times.

I appreciate any and all opinions but remember I asked a question, if you don't like the question don't respond. If you can help I would appreciate it very much.

Same sh*t I went through making my 67 Mustang a Mod and not factory. Some like it some don't.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 PM
BadBoyFLSTC
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for someone who wants to trade down to a Glide and swap.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:57 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly the biggest challenge would be the wiring. If you have the manual you can see the differences. I haven't looked at it hard enough to see if you can just unplug the interconnect harness, but I would start there. Obviously you are losing almost all the gauges, so that wiring has to go somewhere. Mechanically, I don't think it is an issue.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with liltrk, wiring and gauges are going to be a hassle. I almost went the other direction last week, trading my King for a full fairing (Street Glide or Road Glide) scoot. Good luck with the coinversion.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I just had a quick look at my manual and even the main harness is different, so if you are not into wiring, it might be too much of a job or cost too much. I have never bought a complete harness but I bet they are not cheap. Gotta change the tank too.

The following users liked this post:
RMcCord (12-16-2018)
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I smiled when I read your post. Isn't life amusing. I just came in from the garage and finished the work on my Road King to covert it to as close to an Ultra as possible. I've got the front fairing, radio, CD, Sirius Radio, and tour pak. Just don't have all the gauges yet! I was so proud of myself. And then I read your delema. I think going from the Ultra to Road King would much more of a challenge. Predominately because of the wiring issues. Also, the upper tins and Nacelle are completely different. It would be expensive. Cost me $2K+ for my little detachable conversions, and I'm sure yours would be more. The benefit of mine is that I can go back to a Road King in about 5-7 minutes. The up side for you is that you might be able to sell the leftovers on FleaBay and compensate your losses. Good Luck, and if you go that route, please provide us with some pictures. CCRyder

Old 06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Coffee
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it! LionPride you start riding northwest and BigSky you start riding southeast.
When you guys get to Denver, swap bikes and everyone is happy!
Except maybe the HD parts shop that is going to miss out on thousands of dollars in sales.

The following users liked this post:
roadkinglobo (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Converting Electra Glide to Road King