Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues

My 2008 Street Glide with 5700 miles on it just quit running. The dealer showed me the problem. The plastic latches that attach a white plastic bowl to the fuel pump broke causing an extreme loss in fuel pressure. The dealer said they have had to change out a lot of these parts and that Harley has had this part on back order for some time now. This Tuesday-June 17, this part is supposed to come off of back order. The dealer said Harley will on occasion redesign parts like this one when a problem like this becomes apparent, but we will have to compare the new part to the old one to find this out.
&nbsp\\;If I had been going up one of the many bridges in my area when the engine quit I might not be here to write this thread. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:45 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues

Lots of folks have had this prob.&nbsp\\; Check some other threads. Sounds like just one more instance of the MOCO going cheap and burning their customers to me.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM
speckfisher
Road Master

Thanks for the reply, I'll take you advice and look for some other threads. Other than this problem I love the 2008 Street Glide. I bought the 105 Anniversary Model and quality control shouldn't be a concern but for me right now it is.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cheap&nbsp\\;chinese plastic wont hold up

Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

FYI....I show backorder cleared by 6/23

Old 06-19-2008, 06:53 PM
speckfisher
Road Master

I spoke to Harley Davidson today 414-343-4056. Dawg you are correct the plastic fuel filter bowl will not come off of backorder until 6/23. The guy I spoke with would not agree with me that this part should be recalled, but did agree it has a design deffect which has been causing it's latches to break thus causing the bike's fuel system to suddenly depressurize. This of course stops the bike immeadiately without any warning.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
This is a problem that is occuring natonwide on&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;many models of 2008 Harleys (Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Kings, etc.) If you don't believe me than search through the threads. To bad not everyone is listing the topic of their threads in such a manner that we can all readily search, find, and read about this problem.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I wonder who out there has pulled out in plenty of time to merge into oncoming traffic and the bike suddenly quit running thus resulting in there DEATH. Result of the accident report would of course read: "He pulled out in front of me", "I didn't see him".....after all we don't do autopsy's on motorcycles, even so the plastic part would have been broken as a result of the impact, right! So who would know the real cause of death.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
This is a serious problem. I guess Harley Davidson's lawyers are banking on this issue not coming out because recalling a $30 part is to expensive, right....!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I would hope all of you understand I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill. I hOPR this doesn't happen to you because of HD'S negligence.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
"LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE", not ride to die....I ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU TO CALL THE ABOVE LISTED NUMBER AND INQUIRE.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
By the way my wife and I just bought two 2008 Street Glides. It's My 105 Anniversary Street Glide that suddenly left me in the middle of four lanes of rush hour traffic. Tried pushing one of these sleds lately, good luck. No emergency flashers either, just people in vehicles nearly missing me as I pushed it to the nearest drive with a four inch curb.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I SAY LET'S UNIFY AND CALL HARLEY DAVISON, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: speckfisher

I spoke to Harley Davidson today 414-343-4056. Dawg you are correct the plastic fuel filter bowl will not come off of backorder until 6/23. The guy I spoke with would not agree with me that this part should be recalled, but did agree it has a design deffect which has been causing it's latches to break thus causing the bike's fuel system to suddenly depressurize. This of course stops the bike immeadiately without any warning.

This is a problem that is occuring natonwide on&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;many models of 2008 Harleys (Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Kings, etc.) If you don't believe me than search through the threads. To bad not everyone is listing the topic of their threads in such a manner that we can all readily search, find, and read about this problem.

I wonder who out there has pulled out in plenty of time to merge into oncoming traffic and the bike suddenly quit running thus resulting in there DEATH. Result of the accident report would of course read: "He pulled out in front of me", "I didn't see him".....after all we don't do autopsy's on motorcycles, even so the plastic part would have been broken as a result of the impact, right! So who would know the real cause of death.

This is a serious problem. I guess Harley Davidson's lawyers are banking on this issue not coming out because recalling a $30 part is to expensive, right....!

I would hope all of you understand I am not making a mountain out of a mole hill. I hOPR this doesn't happen to you because of HD'S negligence.

"LIVE TO RIDE, RIDE TO LIVE", not ride to die....I ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU TO CALL THE ABOVE LISTED NUMBER AND INQUIRE.

By the way my wife and I just bought two 2008 Street Glides. It's My 105 Anniversary Street Glide that suddenly left me in the middle of four lanes of rush hour traffic. Tried pushing one of these sleds lately, good luck. No emergency flashers either, just people in vehicles nearly missing me as I pushed it to the nearest drive with a four inch curb.

I SAY LET'S UNIFY AND CALL HARLEY DAVISON, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.
Ya know,&nbsp\\; I was with ya on this and I DO think there is a problem, but then you said, "No emergency flashers either, just people in vehicles nearly missing me as I pushed it to the nearest drive with a four inch curb."&nbsp\\; What 105th anniversary street glide isn't equipped with emergency flashers?&nbsp\\; Not like you lose power when your fuel pump fails?&nbsp\\; Just wonderin'.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
elim9
Intermediate

I heard about this problem from some guys I met on a trip. I guess they are trying everything possible not to make it a recall. Has Harley ever had a recall???? I was told from a Harely mechanic that they get service bulletins for&nbsp\\;problems like this and fix the bikes as they come in for service and upgrades without saying anything.&nbsp\\;By the way, Harley's do have emergency flashers. Just push both turn signal buttons&nbsp\\;at the same time.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
speckfisher
Road Master

I truly appreciate the emergency flasher tip. Thanks for your generous response.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM
wolfjack
Advanced

13 days my 08 EGC has been down waiting on new fuel pump assembly...

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Glide Fuel Pump Issues