Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart slip-ons installation

Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rinehart slip-ons installation

Just put a set of slip-ons on my 2007 Ultra.&nbsp\\; A couple of things I noticed for installation:
&nbsp\\;
If you read the instructions, it tells you there's a left and a right muffler.&nbsp\\; The serial number stamped into the bracket on each slip on has a number differing by one digit.&nbsp\\; Ending with an 8 - left side of the bike.&nbsp\\; Ending with a 9 - right side of the bike.&nbsp\\; It doesn't tell you if this is sitting on the bike or facing it.&nbsp\\; there is no visible difference, save for one thing.&nbsp\\; There are rivets holding on the tips on only three sides.&nbsp\\; You can install the mufflers with the rivets facing out, or in (so the pipe face which is away from the bike is smooth &amp\\; chrome).&nbsp\\; That's the look I went for, so there's rivets on the top, bottom, and facing inside, towards the fender.
&nbsp\\;
Remove your saddlebags.&nbsp\\; You can do the install without doing this, but it's a heck of alot easier with the bags off.
&nbsp\\;
I'd recommend taking both bags off, but doing one muffler at a time.&nbsp\\; This way, you can see the old position of your stock exhaust.&nbsp\\; the Rineharts can be moed a bit forward or back, depending on your preference.
&nbsp\\;
Once you undo the two bolts securing the rear of the muffler, you can go up front and undo the muffler clamp.&nbsp\\; I did it without loosening either heat sheild, but you can if you like.&nbsp\\; Once the muffler clamp is off, remove it.&nbsp\\; The Rinehart will slip over the stock headpipe.&nbsp\\; This task is much easier if you muscle the muffler clamp over the end of the Rinehart.&nbsp\\; MUCH EASIER.&nbsp\\; I know of a guy who tried to wrestle the Rinehart in with the muffler clamp still on the stock headpipe, and it was a wasted effort and about half an hour of cursing and swearing.&nbsp\\; You put some gasket silicone on the inside of the Rinehart, and she slides right in there.&nbsp\\; Takes about 30 seconds to install.&nbsp\\; Do the muffler clamp up a bit, but don't tighten it.
&nbsp\\;
The Rineharts brackets have slots in them, whereas the stock muffler brackets had only one position they can move.&nbsp\\; Once you line the Rinehart up with the rear bracket, you'll see what I mean.&nbsp\\; There's a rubber gasket, with a rectangular bracket with hole in it.&nbsp\\; From the side, it looks like a seesaw.&nbsp\\; You put the nuts in the slots on your Rinehart, and then slide the pipe forward or back to the desired position.&nbsp\\; I moved mine back all the way, so it's around the same length as stock.&nbsp\\; Tighten them up, and then tighten the muffler clamp.
&nbsp\\;
I found if you tighten the muffler clamp a bit, the muffler tries to rotate inward in the direction of the force.&nbsp\\; Once it does this, you can easily rotate it back into place in its' natural position.
&nbsp\\;
The install was pretty simple.&nbsp\\; After a hundred miles or so, check the bolts for tightness, and then repeat as part of your regular maintenance.&nbsp\\; They sound good, too.
&nbsp\\;
Cannon
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 01:47 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rinehart slip-ons installation

i guess we all&nbsp\\;know how to install rhineharts now
&nbsp\\;
thanks
gary

Old 06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

Just thought I could save anyone some grief ahead of time, is all.
&nbsp\\;
Cannon
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you did part of it right.&nbsp\\; LOL
They do go on with the cap retaining bolts facing in.&nbsp\\; Instructions for the True Duals shows which is which.
BUT, the rear brackets under the saddlebags need to be centered on the "see saw".
It is intended to allow the exhaust system to move back and forth.
It can cause a vibration if tight against on side or the other as the motor moves.
&nbsp\\;
U

Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior

No, No, No you didn’t follow the directions. Just remember that when reviewing them keep upper bottom right hand corner over about 1/6 “ lower than top left hand center corner, which should be down a little higher than mid-way approximately. Then reinstall.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup Cannon.
&nbsp\\;
I'm in the market for slip-ons and Rineharts are one brand I am considering. How do they sound? Happy with them?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

i thought slip-on installations were retard proof

Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior

Well, as for how far back, I matched them up with the way the stock ones were.&nbsp\\; I purchased the bike used, so perhaps they were previously jammed in there good.&nbsp\\; They may well have been, because I had a hell of a time pulling them off.&nbsp\\; If it vibrates around too much, I'll move them back a bit\\; it's not too difficult.
&nbsp\\;
I noticed the most sound difference when I was standing behind the bike with Stripperella revving it for me.&nbsp\\; I think the saddlebags &amp\\; trunk (and passenger) probably kept me from hearing too much of a difference.&nbsp\\; Mind you, stock, the bike sounded like a 20HP garden tractor.&nbsp\\; It has a deep rumble that isn't annoyingly loud.&nbsp\\; It seems to be enough that people can hear me without changing lanes on top of me.&nbsp\\; I'd have to hear a couple of different setups on other deckers to pass full judgement.&nbsp\\; I'm happy with it.

Cannon

Old 06-24-2008, 05:05 PM
krgs2k
Cruiser

You will need to swap them if you are not running true duels to keep the color on the tips the same. They say they have that fixed, I just swapped mine and now they are gold.