Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 26 cams. Worth the $$??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Andrews 26 cams. Worth the $$??

Hey guys,&nbsp\\; I'm just wondering what your opinions are on the Andrews 26 cams are.&nbsp\\; I've heard that they are a good cam for bottom end power and that you can definitely feel a good seat of the pants increase.
I was&nbsp\\;looking for something that while cruising at 55-60 mph in 5th I can just twist the throttle and be able to pass cars without downshifting.&nbsp\\; And something that I can&nbsp\\;definitely feel a difference with&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I have installed the andrews TW26a chain drive cams in my scoot this past week&nbsp\\;and had it tuned by a reputable shop and I am VERY dissapointed in them. The dyno numbers are dissapointing as are my seat of the pants observations.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I came in at just over 70HP and at 82TQ.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I was hoping that going from a stock bike with SE AC and PCIII with Hooker Slip Ons that should put out around 65HP and 65TQ I should notice a bigger difference than I did.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
What are your thoughts?
I'm thinking that I would have been happier with the Andrews 37 cams
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Andrews 26 cams. Worth the $$??

You need to listen to what people have been trying to tell you.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You need some headwork on that setup to wake-up that 88in. motor to be able to keep up with your friends 96in Fatcat setup.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Your friend should easily be pulling 92-95ft/lbs of TQ so pulling away from you with a roll on is easily believable.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Have some headwork done to complement your setup and you should be able to atleast keep up with your buddy.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Either that or downshift to 3rd and run the **** out of it.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Better pipe selection will help you as well.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Lincolnhog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of pipes would be good for power?&nbsp\\; I'm probably going to want to stick with a Dual setup.&nbsp\\; A 2into1 would just not look right on my old school scoot.&nbsp\\; I've had alot of different exhausts on my bike,&nbsp\\; Started with screamin eagles, then vance and hines Basic slip ons then, Hookers, then Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals,&nbsp\\; Then back to Hookers,&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I just LOVE the way my Hookers sound,&nbsp\\; They are loud but have a Very deep and powerful tone to them.&nbsp\\; Should I be looking at going with a better True Dual setup or maybe just a better quality Slip on?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The mufflers aren’t hurting you too bad. I have used Hookers too, and the best setting I found was left side to torque, and right side to horsepower. Headwork WILL wake the engine up too. However, if you have the heads off, I would consider doing the juggs and pistons too. I went with a set up from Automotive Machine Shop in Texas. I used their AMS Heads, and their 96.5” kit with their KB pistons and Cometic gasket kit. The bike is torquey, responsive, and pulls really well. There are other builders and kits that are bigger and may make better numbers, and I’m sure others will chime in with that info too. But I am happy with what I have and would not change it.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
John K
Intermediate

Need advice on SERT map. Dealer made custom map after installing Andrews 26H cams, VH TD with Rush Mufflers, AN Big Sucker. Dyno results were very disappointing, very little difference than stock. I then went to a stage II download hoping things would get better (not re-dynoed yet). Can't tell much difference but my mileage is suffering, 32-37mpg. I would probably be happy if I could just get my mileage to run 40+ on a consistent basis. Does anyone have a similar set up and want to advise on mapping or anything else that would help. I'm thinking I may have to get it retuned and if you know of a reputable tuner in Eastern KS, KC or Wichita that may be my only option. Thanks for any input.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:29 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Default Andrews 26's

As you see in my signature, I have 26's gear drive on an 88 in. 06Ultra. With a SERT and Ovals it dinoed at 81 HP and 86 TQ. Mine runs between 40-43 MPG. The map was one the local HD shop ,Manns HD in Columbus, In has. Maybe You can get your local dealer to call and talk to Cris or Eric about getting a copy of it or finding out what it is. Dan

Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 AM
fuzz35
Cruiser

head work is probably the best advice at this point...imo

Old 08-09-2008, 08:21 AM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think they were worth it. I've got the Andrews conversion in my '05, using the 26N cams, Big Boyz heads, 95" @ 9.5 compression and dyno'd 82HP & 92 lb-ft with true duals & Rush 1.75 baffles. Since the dyno I've changed to the 2-1 Supermeg and Thundermax and it runs even better....smoother and quieter. I'm pleased.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:59 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

I might get my a$$ chewed for this but the 26s are a little anemic when it comes to duration. The S&S 510 cam is probably better than the 26s. Or are we talking about two different bikes. I have experimented with cams and finally settled for the Woods TW-6H with a +4 degree offset gear. (103 heads are at there max @ 590 lift) Without head work I would recommend the TW-6 with the off set gear. It sounds like you are looking for the same thing I was in the roll on low end torque. Now I have it. A close match to the TW-6 and gear is a SE 203. Just remember, Torque and HP don't always go hand and hand. Peak horse power is in the upper rpm range and with stock heads you are not going to get there. But, You can build a torque monster with no head work or the RIGHT head-work. The Andrews 37 is not a bad cam either. It might be a little anemic until over 2500-2800 but it might get you where you want to go. My target was to close the intake valve near 35 Deg and have a duration of around 240. That is why I went the route I did. The stock head pipe and the right mufflers will also make torque. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by FXSTDSE2; 08-09-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Andrews 26 cams. Worth the $$??