Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Vance/Hines Fuel Pack

Old 07-23-2008, 01:13 PM
venable
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightster Vance/Hines Fuel Pack

Hello, I am new to the Forum and was wondering if some of you could shed some light on a question. I have&nbsp\\;a 2007 XL1200N, Nightster.
&nbsp\\;
I want to install the Vance and Hines Short Shots with the Forcewinder Intake (part#5013-BK). My local HD dealership wants to charge me $400 for the power comander and another $450 for the labor to install and Dyno. I was wondering if I purchased the Vance and Hines Fuel Pack (part#61007A) and install myself would I run into any road blocks? Is the Fuel Pack a "Plug and Play" and adjust the fuel&nbsp\\;accordingly?&nbsp\\;I am a fairly mechanical guy and enjoy working on things.
&nbsp\\;
Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM
2kanzam
Tourer
Default RE: Nightster Vance/Hines Fuel Pack

I haven't put in the fuel pack myself...just got the dealer re-map, but from what I've seen you give V&amp\\;H your specs and it sends it to u programmed and ready to plug I think.&nbsp\\; The biggest issue I've heard is finding a place to&nbsp\\;put it (i.e. stuffing it under the seat).
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Especially if you have some mechanical ability, do all of the stuff yourself, exhaust, forcewinder etc....it'll save you so much $ in the long run.&nbsp\\; I've spent $1200 on mods for my bike and the re-map is the only time the dealer touched it.&nbsp\\; By shopping around for parts and putting them on myself, I've saved anywhere from $2,000-$5,000.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I went with the V&amp\\;H Short Shots/ Fuel Pak/ K&amp\\;N filter with modified air cleaner housing.&nbsp\\; Everything will work wonderful, but you will bitch and moan getting the fuel pack unit to fit between the frame rails on top of the battery...&nbsp\\; Just a bitch as its a tight fit.&nbsp\\; But can be done if your patient.&nbsp\\; Other than that it is plug N play... I had no problems and the bike runs fantastic.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the fuel pak and I wasnt too happy with it. Im not saying other stuff out there blows it away cause I never tried anything else, so I wont make that statement. I felt that the settings V&H gave me were not as good as it could have been. If I were to do it again I would stay away from the fuelpak and probably have a dealer dyno tune it for me. And as for the placement of the fuelpak........... dont get me started!!! [sm=headbang.gif] I understand that the fuelpak works for many bikes so changing the housing to suit each bike would be pricy but damn that thing sucked *** to get it! knowing how to do it now is a plus but I would refuse to help any of my boys try to install one cause it really was that shitty to get in there.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
NYSport
Advanced

I have a fuelPak and V and H shortshots on my 08 Nightster with a stage 1 intake. On the plus side FuelPak is adjustable by you so as you add engine

Old 07-23-2008, 06:48 PM
NYSport
Advanced

tried to respond but this forum has limitations so after 10 minutes of typing it would only let me post a fragment

Old 07-23-2008, 08:16 PM
venable
Cruiser

Does the Fuel pack replace the ECM under the seat? I assumed it did. But I guess it is safe to say that the new fuel pack will not mount anywhere under the seat, correct?
&nbsp\\;
By the Way, thanks for all the quick responses I have received. Appreciate it..........

Old 07-23-2008, 08:22 PM
NYSport
Advanced

It connects in series with the stock ECM. That's why it needs to fit by the battery.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
NYSport
Advanced

PCIII is better if you need every last bit of performance. But the FuelPak is adjustable by you without a dyno or computer.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
NYSport
Advanced

Also, if you upgrade engine components the people at FuelPak will help determine the right settings for the new configuration, PCIII may require another dyno run.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nightster Vance/Hines Fuel Pack