General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

kickstand let it fall over

Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kickstand let it fall over

Today I was parked on level cement, got off and started to walk away and clang, down it goes. I get it back up and notice the kickstand is not stiff like usual. The spring is still there but you would swear it wasn't. I looked under a few other Dynas and they looked the same, everything, what little there is involved with a kickstand, appears to be all there. And ideas why the tension is gone?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Spring is prolly shot, and if the jiffy stand was extended out completely and the bike rolled on it, then there must be something missing from the stand, or the frame...

When the Jiffy stand is out, and the weight of the bike is on it, it is a positive lock...

Test it out for yourself.... Lean the bike on the stand (While you are still straddling it), and push the bike back a few feet, and forward a few feet... You'll find out where the fault it.... Who knows, maybe you didn't completely extend the leg when you were parking...

Old 08-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Heymikey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Today I was parked on level cement, got off and started to walk away and clang, down it goes.
I parked my Road King in the garage one day like I had done a thousand times before and walked into the other room where I heard the crash of the bike falling over. Went out to get it picked up and had some difficulty due to me parking the bike in neutral. As you lift the bike, the wheels move and it will start to roll if it's in neutral, making it almost impossible to get it upright. I finally did get it picked up, no damage that I could see, thanks to the crash guard and the luggage guard rail. Lessons that I learned that day: NEVER park in neutral, and always make sure the kickstand is FULLY extended.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
softbob
Novice

Is this something that Harley has as a know issue? My 07 softail has done it twice now, I am pissed about the damage to the front end from this not to mention the car owner at the Harley dealer!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

Originally Posted by softbob
Is this something that Harley has as a know issue? My 07 softail has done it twice now, I am pissed about the damage to the front end from this not to mention the car owner at the Harley dealer!
What's the issue Harley should know about? That riders will occasionally not set the jiffy stand correctly before walking away from their ride? Should they educate riders? My '08 owners manual has three separate warnings on the dangers/consequences of not properly setting or retracting the jiffy stand. You may have reason to be pissed, but you need to look in the mirrror to focus your anger at the responsible party.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- yes, the stand must be FULLY extended.

- if its fully extended , just the weight of the bike
itself will keep the stand locked in place.

- the spring has no effect on the locking feature.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
MOTORMAN7
Intermediate

I have a 2008 Fat Boy that recently decided to fall over on a level cement driveway.
I extended the jiffy stand out completely and had the bike running to go back and close the garage door and no sooner then i had gone 10 feet away i heard the bike fall.
The jiffy stand is operating correctly, the only thing i could think that went wrong was the bike must have vibrated due to the engine running and caused the jiffy stand to become unsettled from the correct position. I have not had the problem since and do not leave the bike running on the jiffy stand. I make sure the stand is fully extended and even pull back on the handlebars slightly to make sure it is secure.
Live and learn.

Attached Thumbnails kickstand let it fall over-dscf0080.jpg  

Last edited by MOTORMAN7; 09-12-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add sig picture
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM
98 roadglide
Advanced
Default the springs are junk

i have replaced 3 springs from harley in the last 4 months. nothing surprises me anymore on these wonderfull quaility built bikes. LOL

Old 09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just keep my foot on the stand until the bike is firmly set. Haven't had a problem. a flat beer or coke can is good for hot asphalt. That stuff gets mushy in the heat.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I laid my bike down in the garage when I first got it... I was in a rush and kick the stand out, thought it was locked until the bike started to go over. No damage done.

Since that enlightening experience, I *always* check with my foot to make sure the kickstand is locked in the forward position.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: kickstand let it fall over