Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Hardwire Gps Unit

Old 08-21-2008, 06:15 PM
wolfjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Hardwire Gps Unit

I just ordered a Road Tech Conquest GPS unit and would like to know the best way to wire it up.
Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't mention what type bike you ride. The touring bikes have an extra "hot with switch" lead right behind the headlight or tap into the lighter wires.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are using the faring mount it is very easy. And excellent instructions are included with the unit. If you go with the handlebar mount things are a lot harder.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Cruise
Advanced

I have the Conquest GPS. Although it came complete with charging and mounting cradle I didn't know that at the time so I ordered an extra one. It comes with a 7 page instruction sheet and hardware to connect directly to the fuse panel under your left side cover even though it has an inline fuse holder with water proof rubber cap already attached. I chose to use this inline fuse and attach to auxillary plug under seat by battery with a pigtail connector for this plug. Either will work and is powered once the ignition is turned to run or Aux. It's up to you. The harness is ran under the tank to what ever spot you have the Cradle mounted. Since it is low amp rating (2 amp) I wouldn't have had any problems on my Road King using the spare ignition switched plug in the headlight nacelle but I have already used this for my radar detector. Very easy install really.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
wolfjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wecroft
You didn't mention what type bike you ride. The touring bikes have an extra "hot with switch" lead right behind the headlight or tap into the lighter wires.
Sorry, 09 Ultra

Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM
06flstf
Tourer

I have a Garmin 750, I bought a hard-wire cable and tied it into the accessory/aux light switch behind the headlight on my Fatboy forks. Of course, the switch had not been wired so I had to run leads from the battery to the forks (running under the tank was fun). The GPS cable comes up by the risers and into my fork bag then out to my RamMount. If I am not using the GPS I can tuck the wire back into my fork bag.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Garmin 2610 on my UC. I hard wired it thru the fairing into the back of the cigarette lighter. Works great.

Last edited by gman; 08-22-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 AM
shootdr
Cruiser

Zumo 550, it is hard wired thru the fairing into the back of the cigarette lighter. Works great.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
FLHTC_Don
Stage IV

I have a Garmin iWay500 on my Classic. I hard wired it through the fairing into the back of the cigarette lighter. Works great.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfjack
I just ordered a Road Tech Conquest GPS unit and would like to know the best way to wire it up.
Any help will be appreciated.
I wired mine off the ACC switch using this diagram. It will stay on as long as the ignition switch is on. Note that power is not regulated by the ACC switch. Don's suggestion of tapping into the cig-lighter circuit, or any other switched by the ignition, will also work well.

Last edited by iclick; 08-22-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Hardwire Gps Unit