General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Motorcycle Ramp???

Old 08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
albanynyharleyrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Motorcycle Ramp???

Have 2008 ford f 150 xl. It's at factory height and I'm looking to purchase a motorcycle ramp to ride my bike up into the bed. i would appreciate any opinions, suggestions or experiences, positive or negative, with which ramp I should go with with. I am currently looking at the 9ft black widow or the 10ft big boy ramp. if anyone has any experiences with either of these two ramps please inform me! Thanks for the help!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for asking .... I'm interested in the answers you get.. (except the smart asses telling you to ride not trailer or tow your bike)

here is a link that has some good ideas in it: http://www.moccsplace.com/images/trailer/truckin.htm

while I am considering a ramp also, I found this too: http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/ramp-master.html

Last edited by aviator; 08-25-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
2Sore
Road Master

Lowe's sells a ramp for $60 bucks..it @ 8" wide and @ 6' long..you will have to drive the truck in a ditch for it to be safe while loading. The MC carrier is the safest way to load a bike. I think it was last year when a guy died loading his HD with a ramp on level ground. He lost it and the bike fell on him.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

just bought a set at Harbour freight for$42 got tired of trying to chase down a buddy to borrow his , just loaded bike worked real nice,now I can drop bike at shop tommorrow and get flat sounding motor checked out

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Below is one way to do it. Watch what it does.

http://www.overbiltlifts.com/puloader.html

Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Figstr
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Black Widow ramp and am happy with it. I too have an F150 (07) at stock height and have no problems riding the bike up there even on level ground. However, not long ago, perhaps just a few days ago, someone posted that their Black Widow ramp had a weld or two break on them and nearly caused one hell of a lot of damage to the bike. Luckily the bike was pretty much on the truck before the ramp broke. Now, I don't know if this is a common problem or not. Mine is a couple years old but not used very much. I imagine the poster who's ramp broke uses his more than me. Do a search under Black Widow ramp and then PM the original poster to see how long and how often he used it.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
MilesJ
Road Master

Does anyone know the names of any dealers of ramps like the black widow? I'm thinking if I'm headed down to Vegas for bikefest, I might just "loading dock" load my bike into the pickup then buy one from somewhere on the way down. No one up here seems to sell any ramps that are built anything like that, and the price to get it shipped up here would not be good I'm sure!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

So after looking around, I'm thinking of buying the big boy ramp from discount ramps. Has anyone bought anything form these guys? Just wondering what they are like to deal with.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Mr Breeze
Cruiser

I like the idea of loading my bike into my truck......The problem is where do you store those huge ramps after you load the bike....specially when I want to go camping....with ice chest. tent fishing gear etc....

Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

DO NOT use black widow. Welds are weak at hinge, Mine broke in 2. I keep my bike in an enclosed trailer ( like a rollin shed ) so I used it quite a bit but not every day (1 or 2 times a week). Had it about 2 years but that doesn't matter IT BROKE. IMO you are wasting your money. I now have a stronger one (I Hope) and built a support to put under the hinge area. Don't skimp! A pickup is even higher up than my trailer. I was lucky that I had the front wheel in the trailer when it broke and was able to keep my balance and ease the front wheel back off without damage ( half the ramp stayed attached to the trailer).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Motorcycle Ramp???