Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

don't buy woods cams!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't buy woods cams!

I bought the woods cams for my new 08 FLHTC and had them put in at dealer when I bought the bike a few months ago. I have been back there 4 times for the poping or back fireing issue. Not the typical pop most of us get when we put the pipes and etc on or bikes much worse and the dealer has been unable to resolve the issue.
The 2500.00 I spent on the mods at purchase which included other items has been in hine site a big mistake. The bike was great stock and now the dealer has had it for over a month and I have lost a lot of time to ride and also I'm making payments on it while it sits there.
The dealer has not offered to give me money or make it stock again or any kind of consilation. They just want to keep tinkering on it and then they tell me that it can't be fixed do to the throtle by wire and the super tuner and the woods cams?????????????
So I'm to take it up the a$$. Is there a number to call and get some help from Harley and this issue. I don't know what to do and I feel very violated that I spent 24k and got a bike that pops and backfires.
Any advise? Thanks,
PS I live in Atlanta and the dealer is in Macon, so I have had to go there each time as they also tell me that no other dealer will warr. this as it has nothing to do with Harley and it is all after market parts. (the cams anyway)

Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 PM
brnew
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the (cams),it's the a$$ tech that cannot tune it . Had the same problem. Dealership twice supposedly tuned & dynoed (SERT) , and still pop. Finally got another tech that knew what he was doing and now bike runsas smooth as can be. I do not have the woods cams ,but I experienced the sameproblem and drove me crazy. I guess you do have a fuel management system in place,ie: Race Tuner. PC, Thunder Max etc:?
Good luck.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:06 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 word .. ThunderMax

The following users liked this post:
Jrgarrett66 (04-05-2022)
Old 08-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Abnmarine
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to hear your troubles but I wouldn't be so quick to say it is the cam at fault. Could of been installed incorrectly (off one tooth) to throw off the timing or any number of issues. Many have used Woods cams with good results.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
hoz88
Road Master

I would bet ANYTHING that the problem is not the cams. Like brnew said, it is simply the tuning (tuner?). I have had Woods cams in a few of my bikes, and I have been thrilled with all of them. In fact, I just ordered a set of TW 408-6 cams from Bob for my new SG. Bob is a stand up guy, not to mention a hoot to talk to - "Now those TW408-6 are just plain bad-a$$ cams". You really need to straighten this out with your dealer or take it to another place that knows how to tune. Tuning a bike with a SERT is an art, and some people just don't have it.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto to what Abnmarine says. I have run Woods cams in a number of my engines and they performed well. Couple of things could be working against ya here. First is the the cams are timed improperly, being one tooth off when installed. Second is that if adjustable pushrods were used, one or more is too tight. Decel popping is a good indicator of a too lean condition at closed throttle and higher rpms which points to a tuning issue. The person behind the screen using the super tuner is most likely the problem of the three, but anything is possible. It is even possible that a cam lobe is wiped out but this is extremely rare. A cranking compression test will tell you if you have a problem with the first two items I mentioned.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Bigredone
Road Master

If you are in Atlanta, take it to Doc Slicks and have Charles Dyno Tune it. They are straight up folks and won't screw you around.
http://docslicks.com/
http://www.hfd1motorsports.com/

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds to me like a tuneing prob. and also sounds like your dealer service dept. couldn't find their butt with both hands.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM
TRVSDAD
Tourer

you need a new dealer, I have Woods cams and have no issues. Have you contacted Woods to give them the low down?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

youre not qualified to run a Woods cam.....those cams usually are on pure motorheads bikes...not someone who has the dealer do anything....the problems you describe are common and easily fixed....it aint the cam....its you and youre ability to tune and wrench

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: don't buy woods cams!