Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Points settings and Keihin carb

Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Points settings and Keihin carb

Hi folks

First issue: I have this FX project, "almost" done. I had a points ignition taken off my bike. Now, if I remeber well, there's a cable running from the + pole (top) from the coil to the points; and another from the points to the condenser. Right? That's it? no more cables? AND..what's the gap for the points? I only have the repair manual for 78 up, and only electronic ignitions there.
Then... I need to doublecheck... but looking into the timing hole, I found NO timing marks... is that possible? The engine is supposed to be a 74" bored to 80", so it's been messed up with. Is it possible to find a non marked flywheel?

Second:I have a Keihin carb (I KNOW it's not the best... but it's the one I got the bike with) on my 1979 80" FLH. The sticker on it has a final -88.. so it should be the latest Keihin before the CV type. I have an adjustable main jet installe on it. For inspection (here in Italy they are very strict) I hat to install a very silent muffler and lean the carburations a little. After inspection went good I installed a Screeming Eagle II muffler I had around (bought second hand, I can see through it) on my 2 into 1 exhaust.
Initial setting for keihin on an 80" shovel says 3/4 open position on the top screw. Initial setting for variable jey says 4 open turns.
With open exhaust mixture should be richer, right? Now I have the top screw open 1 1/4 open and the main jat 4 1/4. The bike runs good... quite smooth, but it backfires quite a lot.
Spark plugs are light brown..probably a little too light...and there's a little green on them aswell.
I guess mixture should be still a little richer. Any suggestions?
Does anybody knows if initial setting for this late carb should be different?

WOW... I guess I wrote too much.... hope everything's clear enough!
Thanks

Giancarlo

Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Pts settings .018 both narrow lobe and wide lobe (front and rear cyl) Check the adv wts for wear The backfiring tells me it's running lean (idle adj on carb) and if everything is timed properly

Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You are correct wire from points to top of coil, condenser connected to points. Point gap at .018 in. Even aftermarket flywheels would have timing marks on them. Jack up the rear wheel, take out the spark plugs and the timing plug. Put the bike in gear and rotate the tire while observing the flywheel. As the small lob approaches the point rubbing block you should see the straight line which is the advance mark. Unless someone put late 80 or later flywheels in it. Check your manual to see that in late 80 they changed the line to TDC and a tiny dot for Advance. If you see the lazy 8 you have late flywheels in it.
There are several posts in the achieve on setting static timing. In a nutshell, Set points at .018, find the advance front cylinder timing mark in the inspection hole, using a meter or light attached to points and ground, hold the point cam in full advance. Rotate the back plate until the points just break on the small lob of the point cam, lock it down.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
V_twins
Road Captain

sqdealgeorge: I guess is running lean too... but the thing that bugged is that manual says 3/4 turn open for 80" (and 1 1/4 for 74") and once set just finetune with the plastic cap. I alreary opened it 1 1/4 and it's an 80". I'll open a little more then

FilthyLucre: about the flywheel..as I said I will double check. I set the timing on my FLH with the kickstart... I just didn't see anything in this other bike... I hope I am wrong.
How's that you didn't suggest throwing away my Keihin? ehehehe

Thanks guys!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:33 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

V-twins I have never seen a left side flywheel without a mark/line/dot in my 65 years BUT shi@ does happen As far as the carb settings there is nothing gospel Engine wear carb wear It is something that(if the carb parts are ok) you have to fine tune That includes the manifold(leakage) ign timing engine cyl compression Etc etc Check the main jet if the backfiring is at high speed Keep us posted

Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=How's that you didn't suggest throwing away my Keihin? ehehehe

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

I can't trash talk Keihins, I ran a Keihen on my 72 for over 25 years. It was off a 76 model and was fully adjustable, not like the later models. Would start easy and ran great and I never messed with it after setting it up. The seat for the float valve wore enough that I couldn't stop it from overflowing so I replaced it with a CV off a 95 Dynaglide. Best $35.00 I ever spent.

The reason I said use the rear wheel is that it is hard to move the kicker and look at the timing hole at the same time. With the wheel off the ground, you can just bump it a little at a time. I guarantee you will find some timing marks.

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (07-12-2020)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 AM
V_twins
Road Captain

Still about Keihin...
I enriched it up to 2 full open turns. Backfire is not gone, but less than before. BUT at idle... looking inside the exhaust (2 into 1 pipes, Screaming EagleII muffler) I can see blue fire... it's not spitting..i just see fire...ehile with basic setting ot 3/4 turn, no fire... just heavy backfiring while deccelerating.
Another thing..I have an adjustable main jet. Instruccions say: basic setting 4 full turns out (screw in for lean, screw out for rich). I got it at JPcycles. On the desription on the catalog it says: basic setting 1 1/2 turn.
Anybody got any experience on that?

**edit**
1 thing I forgot: spark plugs reading: no visible change with mixture scre opened 3/4 or 2 turns out. 1 side of the plug is light brows (with little green) ant the other is very dark brown.

Last edited by V_twins; 09-04-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Pichilingo
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1979 FLH80 Classic

hello to all, my English is bad, maybe this is not the suitable place, for that reason I never appear with opinions goes my case there.
My dear motorcycle acquired recently, I feel because she does not run or she costs to him to arrive gladly at 100km/h, she to him it starts or to first, it has good ralenty, but it does not run cheers, I believe that it is problem of the time, not like fitting timer plate, I have put it to the sensor to 0,010 mm, but timer plate not towards where turning it, if to the left or the right. Thanks to all,
I like the forum and have good listeners of tema
.beers for all.

like putting photos of everything what I have done?

Attached Thumbnails Points settings and Keihin carb-p7130018.jpg   Points settings and Keihin carb-p7130026.jpg  
Old 09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

That's that prestolite ign system Get rid of it and go to points much better system or a Dyna S ing system

The following users liked this post:
Pichilingo (07-12-2020)