Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Which oil tank might work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM
dragpipes68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which oil tank might work?

I have a 68 xlch and it has a distributor instead of the mag. Im runnin' a tiny 12v battery that i have mounted right next to the stock oil tank. Well, since the generator has to run the bike now not just the accessories because of no mag, Im thinkin I need a bigger battery so my light wont keep dimmin so bad at stop lights etc.

So Im thinkin of losin the stock oil tank and placin a big battery there. BUT where could I put the oil tank. Would one of those side mounted oil tanks work that u see in later/electric start sporstser models? I dont think so because of the kick. Will a big battery fit in one of those horseshoe shaped tanks made for old sporty frames? Is my only choice to buid a custom one?

Thanks - dragpipes

Old 09-04-2008, 12:28 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, the side mount or kidney oil bags were run on K models and XLH Sportsters right from the beginning. They would word find on your 68, but I doubt that the ignition is much drain on your battery. In fact, if you'd like, I'll trade you a kidney tank for your stock tank. Since you don't have electric start, I'd keep the stock tank and have my battery load tested. If it's in good shape, it should keep you lit without any problem.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:58 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon Wolf
Sure, the side mount or kidney oil bags were run on K models and XLH Sportsters right from the beginning. They would word find on your 68, but I doubt that the ignition is much drain on your battery. In fact, if you'd like, I'll trade you a kidney tank for your stock tank. Since you don't have electric start, I'd keep the stock tank and have my battery load tested. If it's in good shape, it should keep you lit without any problem.

+1 on that one!
I agree with MW on the very low drain used by the circuit breaker.
I too would use the original wrap around oil tank (keep it) as these tanks are very pricey, when you can find them.
If the bike has been running with the lights and managed to keep ahead of the load, the added circuit breaker is not going to be enough to make the difference between needing a larger battery and staying with the smaller battery in my opinion............pg

Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Pinion,

Good to see you online. I check into this forum mainly to absorb your wisdom.

Don't think the 68 had the wrap around tank, though. Last year for that beauty was 1966. If it has the stock tank, it will the the rectangular unit with the threaded cap.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Illini Pete
Intermediate

I agree that I'd look for an oil tank for an early XLH which will allow you to use a regular battery. The early XLHs may have had electric start but at least up until the '80s all the electric start Sportsters had kickers too. I just looked at my '59-'69 factory service manual and there's a picture of a '67 that shows the side-mounted oil tank on the right side an battery on the left and it obviusly has a kicker.

Any of you guys with old XL parts happen to have a set of front forks or know who might? I'm looking for a set of originals with the external rubber boot slider covers. The forks I have are '70-'72 (also used on the first Super Glides) which have the steel lower legs but don't have the rubber boots.

Pete

Old 09-04-2008, 02:44 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moon Wolf
Hey Pinion,
Good to see you online. I check into this forum mainly to absorb your wisdom.
Don't think the 68 had the wrap around tank, though. Last year for that beauty was 1966. If it has the stock tank, it will the the rectangular unit with the threaded cap.
MW.....
You gave me a good whack there! And I had it coming.
You are correct, the tank is a standard center mount like I have on my 1971. So I stand corrected, thank you.
Also, the std center mount tank is worth a lot less than the '66 and earlier 'horseshoe' tank, which is becoming hard to find.............pg

Old 09-04-2008, 05:25 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dragpipes68
Will a big battery fit in one of those horseshoe shaped tanks made for old sporty frames? Is my only choice to buid a custom one?
I have a 68 xlch and it has a distributor instead of the mag. Im runnin' a tiny 12v battery that i have mounted right next to the stock oil tank. Well, since the generator has to run the bike now not just the accessories because of no mag, Im thinkin I need a bigger battery so my light wont keep dimmin so bad at stop lights etc.
The XLCH runs on a 7 ampere hour battery. This size battery takes care of the lights and ignition supply and the results are lights that do not dim at idle. You may need a larger battery if yours is not 7 ampere, but no more than that is required.
Here are the specs on the XLCH and followed by specs for the XLH electric starter model. As you will see, the electric starter is what demands the large amount of capacity..........
XLCH:
7 ampere hour 12V battery. Recharge at no more than 1.5 amp hour.
XLH:
32 ampere hour 12V battery. Recharge at no more than 4.0 amp hour.
So, the battery you need is the one for a CH (7 amp hour) and the dimensions are approx 5½ x 3¼ x 5 inches.

So Im thinkin of losin the stock oil tank and placin a big battery there.
Don't do that! You don't need that big honkin' battery. Oil tank (side mount) and new lines are going to waste more of your money. You don't need it.

BUT where could I put the oil tank. Would one of those side mounted oil tanks work that u see in later/electric start sporstser models? I dont think so because of the kick.
For the record only, and to answer your question.......the side mount tank will bolt right on.
During a number of years the Sportsters with the electric start (XLH) came with a kick starter as well as the electric. The side mount oil tank was used to allow the big battery to fuel the elec starter.
A few years went by and the kick starter was eventually eliminated, along with the XLCH for that mat
ter.

So to sum it all up, here is what you need to do:
Buy a proper size battery and then mount the battery along side the left side of your center mount oil tank.
I have provided you with a pic of my 1971 XLCH. Just mount yours like the pics show and you will be set.
Always remember to flash the field before you start up the machine. Failing to do that may burn up your voltage regulator........pg

Old 09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Ludeykrus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by piniongear
Always remember to flash the field before you start up the machine. Failing to do that may burn up your voltage regulator........pg
Hey bud,

Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean by this?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 AM
dragpipes68
6th Gear

Pinion, you are awesome, thank you sir for your time and wisdom.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:14 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Hey bud,

Would you mind explaining what exactly you mean by this?

Thanks
Sure, be glad to.
Whenever any wire(s) is/are removed from the generator, battery, or regulator and then replaced on the terminals you should always 'flash the field coil' before you start up the engine.

Rather than explain it will be easier for me to attach this scan from the factory manual.
Please note that the two terminals to momentarily touch an the regulator are:

If you have a Delco-Reamy regulator.........'BAT' and 'GEN'
If you have a Bosch regulator....................... 'B+' and 'D+'

The two brands of regulator are marked as shown above, so 'BAT and B+' are the same. 'GEN and D+' are the same.............pg

Quick Reply: Which oil tank might work?