Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Screamin Eagle vs. Vance & Hines

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Dakotazeb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin Eagle vs. Vance & Hines

Any recommendation on which set of slip-ons would be best for my '04 Road King Classic? The Screamin Eagles or the Vance & Hines Basics. Right now my bike is completely stock. The only mod I might consider besides pipes is the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 air kit. I want something louder than stock but not something that I can't tolerate on a longer trip. anyone have a comparison of these two mufflers to share? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain
Default RE: Screamin Eagle vs. Vance & Hines

Don't know about the Vance and Hines, but I have the Screaming Eagle II's on my Heritage and love them, not too loud, but a nice rumble and they can hear ya when ya get on it!!!!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:53 PM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SEII's let me down today. Rode to the local coffee shop to meet a friend. When I asked him if he heard me when I got inside, he said no, but he saw me. I guess nezt time I'll have to circle the lot a couple of times and roll on the throttle before I park. Imagine the shame of it...riding a new Super Glide w/ SE!!'s and being seen but not heard!!! If it happens again, I may have to taake the baffles out.
FWIW though, I really like the sound of my SE's. Loud enough to sound like a Harley, but soft enough (when I'm not on it) so that I don't shake builddings.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:54 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had these installed on my bike with a Stage 1 kit, and I couldn't be happier.

SE Slash down slip-ons

Since these are marked "For Racing Only", I am assuming they are what everyone has been referring to as SEII's.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:08 AM
jtfrog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SEII's will be stamped on the pipes, if not you probably SEI's out of the Harley cataloge, not the SE cataloge wich is a link on the harley home page

Old 04-16-2005, 10:29 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SEII's will be stamped on the pipes, if not you probably SEI's out of the Harley catalog, not the SE catalog which is a link on the harley home page
JT, I'm not sure that applies to the touring pipes this year.

There is another thread somewhere discussing the entire issue. I have also been unable to find anything regarding SE I vs SE II slip-ons for the touring models.

The best we can figure is the pipes I listed above are the SE IIs for the touring bikes. They aren't listed as such by Harley and aren't stamped SE. They are stamped "For Racing Only" and sold as Performance Slip-ons. However, according to the Suburban Harley site they are SEs.

Link PN64903-99

All I can tell you for sure is these are the ones the dealer recommended for my bike. They are definitely not anywhere near stock and they are kick *** slip-ons!

Old 04-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

If you have an ear for that H.D. pipe sound, you might be dissapointed with the Screamin eagle 2's. While they are fairly loud they lack a chug or low end rumble at idle that Vance and Hines pipes (not sure about slip ons) typically have. They all sound good when the throttle is cranked but at idle or under torque at low rpms is where the sound to me is mostly heard. I ran a set of screamin eagle 2 slip ons for a few hundered miles and just installed vance and hines big radius pipes and love the sound compared to the Se 2's. They have a low deep rumble and a chug to them that the se 2's didnt have. I just showed them to a buddy today with se 2's on his bike and he could not believe the difference either. So if you have a fine ear to the sound you want your bike to have, listen to as many systems on bikes before you buy...

Old 04-16-2005, 08:01 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

I am more confused than normal about the SEII's that are now out... My '99 Night Train has some SEII's which have a turnout on the ends and are definitely a lot louder and rumble more than the new ones… As a matter of fact, they don’t even make my style any more, which is a bummer as I am getting some surface rust on mine and will either get my pipes re-chromed later this year or pay the exorbitant $600 for the V&H’s…. Are the Samson pipes or other ones as good? I laughed at a ‘friend’ who bought a set of ‘new’ pipes off of eBay for $150, but I had to eat crow as they do look and sound good… I don’t know if there was any acoustical design engineering invested by this overseas company though (even though several of my HD items I have been buying lately are made in China, Korea, etc….)

Old 04-17-2005, 12:07 AM
TAPOUT275
4th Gear

right on

Old 04-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

This has been a burden in my side for a long time [&:], if I had it to do over again I would have got some other pipe's beside's the SEII's, heck I don't have any baffle's in , just a set of thunder monster's and there great but still not what I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle vs. Vance & Hines