Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True dual exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 AM
swb
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True dual exhaust system

I hope ya'll can help me out! I was intending to put some slipon mufflers (most likely the SE touring, slash down) on my '05 RK Classic, but I am having some second thoughts. I have read many post about eliminating the stock cross over and reducing the heat by going with true duals - I thought this was bunk. Well, it is getting very warm here in south Georgia (90 degrees today) and I really feel the heat coming off the right back cross over on my leg at stops. Until now I had not really paid much attention to it, but the back right cross over runs nearly parallel to my leg at stops. My right leg is about 2 inches from the pipe - a little to close for comfort, especially when I will be riding at the beach with shorts on!

Who offers a good true dual system for a bagger?

I know Rinehart has a fine set of true duals, but I would like to get all my options. I appreciate your input.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:55 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: True duel exhaust system

oh terry this guy needs our help!! R I N E H A R T S anything else just aint it!!

Old 05-14-2005, 01:04 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

You basically have two options for true duals that are worth it. If you are on a budget, then the Vance and Hines dresser dual are the way to go. They will work well with the SE slip-ons or in my case, the Vance and Hines Oval Slip-Ons. If your not worried about the all mighty dollar and you want the best performance, then the Bassanni equal length true dual are you ticket. They add the most in performance as the pipes are equal length, but there is one drawback to those pipes. The back pipe does a loop on the right side and it gives off some heat by your right leg. I am going with the Vance and Hine Dresser labs as they are only about $279.00 for the pipes and they come with full heat shields. I have a stock twin cam with SE stage I breather kit, power commander and Vance and Hines Oval Slip-Ons and performance advantage is not high on my priority list as the rest of the motor is stock. I preferred to save the 400 bucks and put more chrome on my glide.

Good Luck....and Ride safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/E8FFEC06631240DFB12E48063BB1BC0D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2005, 02:34 AM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just upgraded my exhaust! I have a 2002 RKC with the stage II kit and a power commander with Vance and Hines Classic slip-ons. I just installed the V and H true dual head pipes and had the bike re-tuned. I didn't really expect it but I increased in both torque and HP. The Torque went up 7.2 and the HP up 4.6. Made me real happy and I love the new sound and increased comfort without the crossover under my right leg. Also makes cleaning the bike easier!![8D]

Have a Great Day!

harleyboy63401

Old 05-14-2005, 06:06 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have one word to say about this. RINEHARTS!

Old 05-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in the V & H "True Dual" camp. I've had them on my previous FLTR, and now on my FLHTCI.

They fit well, and paired up with my H-D Touring mufflers, the sound is just right for me and my co-pilot.
There is a definite reduction of heat; you'll notice that right away, as will the passenger.
Another benefit is cosmetic...the motor area looks so much cleaner.

Performance-wise, I don't think the un-equal header length of the V & H true duals gives away much, if any, horsepower.
My 95" motor is plenty strong with the V & H / H-D muffler combo.
The huge loop of tubing on the Bassani, is too ugly to behold, IMHO.
Rhineharts seem to be all the rage, but I won't sell them at our store until they get their quality improved.

If there is any downside to the V & H true duals, it is that the left side cover is very close to the pipe.
I found this makes the side cover quite hard to remove. (Any other V & H owners have this issue? Any suggestions?)

Old 05-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

OK, Mike you knew I couldn't let this one go. The quality of my Rineharts are unequaled. You do have to use Rinehart slip ons which come with their True Duals (Really cool looking black tips) because of the diameter of the header. The Vance and Hines True Dual header is also good quality if you want to use another type of slip ons. You can save some money here. Actually the V&H's are more expensive if you get the header with the V&H ovals. Did I mention that the V&H oval mufflers are blowing the baffles out like missles........If there is a quality problem I think it is with the V&H's[sm=rant.gif]

Ebay Price when I bought my Rineharts was about $609.00 shipped. V&H w/oval mufflers was just $30 or $40 more. HD Dealer for Rineharts was $825.00 uninstalled and about $900.00 for V&H,

Terry

Here is a picture of the Black Tip Mufflers.

Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

tell em dude!

Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 PM
JDean
Advanced

I am going to agree with Terry on this one. I was going to install only mufflers on my FLHTI and was looking at the V & H. I also read on other post on this site about problems blowing out baffles. Other brand of slip-ons will work on the V & H head pipe. I know of a couple of guys running the Rineharts and really happy with them after switching from other brands. I bought mine off ebay and should be receiving them by the first of the week.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

ok jdean now you have to sound off with the rest of us one way foos!!!!

Quick Reply: True dual exhaust system