Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide Custom - wide conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Maximus Brutus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Glide Custom - wide conversion

This is my first post so be gentle

Been riding for 29 years and during that time owned just about every type of bike made from 190mph Jap rockets to 2-stroke screamers. My first harley was in '91 - a '79 FXS Low Rider. Then in '05 I bought a Softail Deuce. I liked that bike but had to sell it when we moved to Switzerland in March due to import regulations here. It can be done but it's a lot of hassle and cost. So bought a BMW R1200GS Adventure and had great fun since including an awesome 7 day tour of the Alps.

So, keen to rekindle my HD love affair I've spent the last 2 days down at the local dealers riding the current range. I should say I'm 6ft7in which as anyone of the same size knows can cause issues with fit and comfort. Here's a quick summary of my thoughts on each bike (this is just my opinion - they are all great bikes).

Fat Bob - Love the look of this bike except for the twin headlamp. More legroom than a softail and very comfortable seat. However, those mirrors are so close to the bars they obstruct clutch and brake use and the bike feels very ponderous at low speed no dount due to that fat front tyre. It's also very quiet which came as a bit of a surprise.

Night Train - I really wanted to like this bike but as soon as I pulled away it felt wrong. That big back tyre might look good but it makes the bike handle very strangely indeed. Footpeg position was a bit cramped too although I know there are extended controls available because I had them on my Deuce. Bars were too narrow but the bike did look awesome.

Rocker C - Even though it has a big fat tyre it felt so much better than the Train to ride. Wierd Very eyecatching design but maybe a bit too modern for my liking and that seat has to be the most uncomfortable and ugliest seen on any HD.

Street Bob - Wanted to ride a Super Glide Custom but this was the closest they had. Not a great fan of the mini-apes and it needs, for me at least, forward controls, but this bike rode well. I was surprise at just how confidently it handled and it felt good. I liked it a lot.

So it looks like a Dyna is for me and I'm quite taken by the Super Glide Custom's old school looks and clean lines. I could easily fit forward controls for more legroom and change the bars for something a bit wider. But if I do that the forks spacing won't be wide enough. So what about fitting the trees from the Fat Bob to the SG? I believe the fork legs are the same. Is it that simple?

If so what about the fender and wheel fittings? I like the slimmer SG front wheel so would want to keep it for sure. Can anyone help with a definitive parts list for the conversion?

I think I wide forked SG with wide bars would look awesome. Maybe it's been done here already? If so are there any pics?

Thanks for listening

Last edited by Maximus Brutus; 10-04-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts
Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 AM
Maximus Brutus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Here's a recent thread:

Any1 put a Wide Glide front end w/a rake on a SG?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282750
Thanks

Your bike looks awesome.

I don't want the 21" wheel from the WG because I'd prefer to keep the more secure handling of the stock 19" front. Just the wider appearance but with the stock wheel and rake.

I think this can be achieved by fitting Fat Bob trees but I'm unsure what else is required at the wheel and fender end. Certainly a longer axle but some spacers too? What about the fender? More spacers?

I'm really just looking to widen the existing SG front end.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:22 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

You probably can lace a "chrome" Wide Glide hub to the Super Glide Custom's wheel and use a Fat Bob or Wide Glide axle and spacers (I think the 08 and up axles are now metric sizes). You will still have to use the spacers for the disc, caliper, and fender (photos below) that is mentioned in the above link. Or have custom spacers made for the disc and axle using the original Super Glide Custom's wheel.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
kevin bolden
Intermediate

Im sure you'll find using the Fat Bob trees you'll get stock rake angle and with the Wide Glide you,ll get what many think better looking ,3 degs extra rake. The extra rake on the W/G compensates for the 21" wheel whereas the FBob has smaller dia, so stock rake angles All this info has been gleaned from threads all under different titles but all refering to the same subject. Im doing this mod to my Dyna Custom in 2011 if funds allow