Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive belt squeaking.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 PM
subsailor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive belt squeaking.

Hi, I've got a 2004 883 XLH and I just noticed today backing the bike up that in certain spots the drive belt squeaks in certain spots, I threw it on the lift and examined the belt and can't find any unusual abrasion marks. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Doug45601
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it up on a jack, spin the rear wheel.. BTW, I've heard some belt squeek when pushing the bike backwards due to the fact that the belt is actually "broke in" in its normal forward motion and moving backwards actually puts stress on it.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

It's not unusual to get a belt squeak when pushing it backwards. The belt is just tracking differently on the pulley because it's turning in the "wrong" direction. If it doesn't squeaky when you push it forward, there is probably nothing to worry about.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:46 AM
subsailor
4th Gear

It is squeaking both forward and backwards, the squeak seems to be louder after the bike has been ridden. I put it on the lift and can't find anything unusual on the belt i.e no missing teeth no wear marks etc.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend that has the same issue with his '02 sportster, however it has done it since new, no problems yet.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Well Hope not the bearer of bad news to come .. Still have the original belt on my 04 Sporty with no problems .. However when the belt on my Heritage started squeaking now and then also put on the lift could find nothing .. couple days later noticed was a little tough to shift .. Checked again could see nothing with the belt the following day was super tough to shift and the Belt Broke and still found absolutely no sign of trouble inspecting the belt but a clean break ... After replacing the belt shifts as smooth as glass again .. Not trying to be Gloom and Doom just letting you know what happened to me ...

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 AM
subsailor
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Well Hope not the bearer of bad news to come .. Still have the original belt on my 04 Sporty with no problems .. However when the belt on my Heritage started squeaking now and then also put on the lift could find nothing .. couple days later noticed was a little tough to shift .. Checked again could see nothing with the belt the following day was super tough to shift and the Belt Broke and still found absolutely no sign of trouble inspecting the belt but a clean break ... After replacing the belt shifts as smooth as glass again .. Not trying to be Gloom and Doom just letting you know what happened to me ...
Thanks, i'll have to keep a close eye on that.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
subsailor
4th Gear

UPDATE:

I just went to put gas in it and when I got home I noticed oil on the belt that I didn't see before, and it looks like there is a bit of oil on the tranny pulley. Any cause for concern?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Sundog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your rear wheel alignment. The belt is probably tracking to one side or the other. My '95 had the same issue, so I put parafin on the sides and belt dressing on the cogs. If it's real annoying, maybe roughing up the side thats rubbing with a bit of sandpaper. Oil escaping is never a good sign. Are you sure you didn't spill it? Or maybe it's dripping off your air cleaner. Maybe a loose hose clamp onthe oil tank.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
subsailor
4th Gear

There's definately a leak, I need to get under there and do some serious cleaning but I believe it's the drain tube, They guy I bought it from put on 400 miles on the bike for the 2 years he owned it as where I have put almost 1,000 miles on it in 2 weeks, I must have loosened something up or... worse... there is about a half inch diameter spot of oil on the garage floor every morning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drive belt squeaking.