Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket EPA approved exhaust?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Aftermarket EPA approved exhaust?

Are any of the aftermarket offerings on exhaust systems DOT/EPA approved? Seems that with all of the offerings out there that there has to be someone who actually manufactures a system that looks better but is quiet enough to get through a traffic stop.

Just curious at this point, have been thinking about Harley's stage one kit with the SE pipes, but am not sure yet what I want to do. 1500 bux plus for upgrades and risking tickets, impoound, etc, doesn't make any sense at all.

Also, does anyone who runs the actual Harley stage one reflash with SE slip ons have any performance reports? Do they actually make any difference as opposed to stock?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:41 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done some research myself and far as I've found only SEs are EPA stamped and thus "street legal".

Old 10-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I installed the SE Stage I set up on my '07 Heritage. Air cleaner, download and slip-ons. It actually made a difference you could feel in the seat of your pants. The mufflers are just a little louder at idle but have a nice roar at wide open throttle, or highway speeds. And as far as my research goes, the SE slip-ons are the only mufflers out there that have the EPA stamp on them.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:26 PM
Scott Gardner
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just once more

While I do enjoy reading many of the threads here I haven't posted in years. But as someone who's income depends on the upgrading and tuning of your bikes I will say this. As stated in a few posts the auto industry has overcome the epa and evolved into some incredible power making engines. The current developments have always been with them and they steadily evolved to meet them. Look at the engineering and technology that was developed and applied. While motorcycles other than 2 stroke were ignored for the most part, all the manufactures have been preparing for this eventuality. And just like the auto industry it just creates a new set of parameters to modify and tune within. All this has done is force the new models into the current decade of technology. The aftermarket will adapt their products to conform, many designs will most likely out perform their previous parts. An example is the headpipe on the M8. The loss due to the cat is nowhere near the loss on the previous years. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. All the previous incarnations have there place in our hearts, many have their favorite and are happy at that point. But advancement of technology is inevitable. For me it's a new challenge and I'm looking forward to whats next.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,372 Likes on 4,000 Posts

I, too, have been looking for legal aftermarket exhaust choices. While EPA requires the stamp on all new, compliant exhausts (US Code 40 CFR 205), there is only one state (I am aware of) that has a vehicle code violation for running a 2013 & newer motorcycle without the required EPA stamp...

Of course, it's California (big surprise!).

27202.1 CVC makes it an equipment violation for any person to "park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of California" that is manufactured after Jan 2013, without the EPA stamp on the muffler.

So far, while I've found one aftermarket muffler that has passed the EPA compliance tests, none have bothered to include the required EPA stamp.

I would love to know if anyone finds an aftermarket exhaust that is compliant & stamped. I have nothing against HD products, just like choices...