General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide glide vs. Softail deuce

Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wide glide vs. Softail deuce

I have a 2000 Deuce with 24k on it. I have a line on a newer bike (wide glide) 2005 with 2500 miles for $10,000.00 it has street sweepers, mini apes, factory alarm

I've riden a couple sporty's but not a wide glide..

Do the "A" Motor's leak because it's unbalanced? pros and cons vs the "B" motor?

how different is the ride, softer, harder...

what are the pros and cons of each bike?

this is my bike...

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/8...tdeuce6va8.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9...tdeuce5ms8.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/2...tdeuce4vr7.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4...tdeuce3kl5.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1...tdeuce2rd6.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5...stdeucezo8.jpg

My wife says I look like a dork on my bike because of the drag bars and the bike is so thin... im 6'4" 275lbs

...and she wants the bike to vibrate more, she said she was a little dissapointed that mine doesn't vibrate lmao

she wants me to just go get the other one and sell mine for $10,000... I did list it on cragslist for ****s and grins and got 3 phone calls in less than a day of people wanting to look at it.

I NEED HELP!!

Last edited by PaleRearEnd; 11-08-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I say go with the WG and keep Momma happy !!!!!

Dead serious !
You will probably like the ride as much, if not more than your current ride..... But Momma will be Smiling BIG !

I have a slight "Bad" vibe that sets in at about 3400 rpm..... kinda sends a buzz thru the bars and pegs right up into 4500 rpm.
When I get froggy and talk about trying to locate, and fix it.... Momma always says.." What are you worried about, I like it !

Gotta find it and fix it..... but just goes to show ya how different we think from the fairer sex sometimes......Lol.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:09 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Is the ride softer or harsher?

Motor mount breakage?

handle better or worse than the softail? i've hear they corner better and the ride is stiffer but i have no clue as i've never ridden one.

Thanks for the help guys..

Old 11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "A" and "B" motor are the same top end (power displacement.) The WG has a two point rubber mount, that needs service or replaced over the years. The Deuce has counter balancers that cancle first order vibration only. The very slight buzz you feel is second order vibrations. Thank Willie G for that . He wanted the feel of a motorcycle in his hands. They had rubber mounted Softail's in testing. He rejected without even riding. The Duece does not have rubber isolated bars, that add's a touch more. You can still see out of the mirrors. The Duece carries a higher resale value every year, but seats are limited for mamma. When mamma is happy, everyone's happy. The WG is a better two up ride. the Duece has a higher cool factor.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:31 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

Originally Posted by Gutman
The "A" and "B" motor are the same top end (power displacement.) The WG has a two point rubber mount, that needs service or replaced over the years. The Deuce has counter balancers that cancle first order vibration only. The very slight buzz you feel is second order vibrations. Thank Willie G for that . He wanted the feel of a motorcycle in his hands. They had rubber mounted Softail's in testing. He rejected without even riding. The Duece does not have rubber isolated bars, that add's a touch more. You can still see out of the mirrors. The Duece carries a higher resale value every year, but seats are limited for mamma. When mamma is happy, everyone's happy. The WG is a better two up ride. the Duece has a higher cool factor.
sweet, thanks for the info!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:53 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an '07 Wide Glide. The ride is great, with the rubber mounted motor. I can see near perfect through my mirrors at 80mph. The rubber really isolates the vibes at engine speed. At idol and lower speeds it's a hoot, if you like some vibes. The twin cam does not vibrate near like the Evo and older motors. If you're only looking for vibrations, perhaps you need to find an adult book store. It wont handle much different than your Deuce. Similar rake, and length, same size front tire. The size of the risers on your bike will probably have your hands nearly the same position as the mini apes on the Wide Glide. Also I think the W.G. lacks nothing in coolness compared to the Deuce, but I'm biased

Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

We have both. I think you'd like the WG at your height. The WG is taller at the seat and has more leg room. It is also slightly longer overall. The bars are taller.

For me, for a fact, the WG handles better. I like Dynas.

Have you ridden a WG?

Wanna watch a WG run away from a BMW R 1200 on corners? The BMW (with the camera) has to catch up on the straights.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JBaker421

Last edited by JBaker421; 11-08-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

Thanks for the ride baker, that was very cool!

Thanks for the reply's guys any info is much appreciated!

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, we'll see what happens. the owner said we can take a ride and he'll ride my deuce...

Old 11-08-2008, 10:08 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You could always buy your OL one of those viberider seats and put it on your Duece.

http://www.viberider.com/

Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Budds
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUCKETASS
Cool, thanks for the reply.

Is the ride softer or harsher?

Motor mount breakage?

handle better or worse than the softail? i've hear they corner better and the ride is stiffer but i have no clue as i've never ridden one.

Thanks for the help guys..
As far as Softer or harsh.......
Its really apples and oranges as the suspension is so different.
I say get some good shocks on the back if it dont already have them.... preferably adjustable.
They will make a world of difference.
Comfort wise I think you and Momma will be fine.... and there are no shortage of aftermarket seats to be sure you are....lol !

Got 46k on the clock with this 98, and am just now thinking I should change the motor mounts.
No obvious damage.... but I think it may help with the fore mentioned "buzz"..... as I never had it early on with the same set up......Worth a shot as they aint to expensive, and simple to get to.

Anywyas.............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wide glide vs. Softail deuce