Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead sporty to electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
tracker476
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironhead sporty to electric

Hey anybody changed over an xlch to electric start? Just curious cause im debating it and wanted to get some feedback beforehand.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

NOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it! Kick starting a motorcycle creates a special bond between the bike and it's rider that a button will never replace. On the other hand, a knee can be replaced.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 PM
hog4u
Cruiser
Default XLCH to Elec Start

Thinking about doing the same for my '72 after the first of the year. The knee is getting unreliable.

I have seen some threads on it. It's not a big deal. You'll need a bigger battery, pull the clutch basket and chop or get a new sprocket cover. I can't remember if there is any space issues when adding the bigger battery on a stock XLCH or not. I think that is the worst of it.

I'll post links if I find them in the coming days.

Pat

Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tracker476
Hey anybody changed over an xlch to electric start? Just curious cause im debating it and wanted to get some feedback beforehand.
Not a good idea in my opinion. I have seen it done, but it was not a fun job (or very cheap to do). Here are a few thing you will need:
A starter
A Bendix assembly
A Bendix assembly housing
A large battery
A new side mount oil tank (cause that big battery will sit where the oil tank now sits)
A mount for the battery
A new clutch basket with the starter gear attached
A new primary cover (that has the boss inside to accept the end of the starter pinion shaft bearing)
A new sprocket cover with the cut out for the starter
A new timing cover with the cut out for the starter (this is a serious item to replace because to do it, you must take the engine apart and line ream the crankcase right half with the new cover's bushings)
You will need a clamp to hold the starter to the top of the transmission. (not a big deal)
You will have to drill and tap the top of the transmission for the clamp bolt (This is a very big deal!) Seriously!
You will need a starter relay
You will need a starter button
You will need an on/off switch
You will have to fore go installing a neutral safety switch, because you just drilled the spot for the clamp bolt
All this stuff is what you will need to convert it to an electric start.
It is going to cost you a small to large fortune.
I hope this gives you and others a better perspective of what is involved to turn a kick start only XLCH into an electric start XLH.
It is something that I would never do myself............pg

Old 11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
tracker476
6th Gear
Default Thanks folks.

Big Poppa, you are certainly correct about a special bond being formed. Over the last four years, such a special bond has formed that I wish I had super human strength to pick the bike up and throw it across the yard!hahahaha, and then get the knee replacement.

Pg and hog, thank you for the feedback. I had a good idea of what needed to be done, but you definetly just added a few things to the list, and I'm not positive I like the idea anymore. Whats your opinion of the hardtail. bolt on vs. weld on? I'm not going to lie, i'm never satisfied with the bike, I seem to be happiest when I'm working on it, so I'm constantly trying to do new things with it. For better or worse! You know, If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Last edited by tracker476; 11-26-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 PM
hog4u
Cruiser
Default I think the starter may be easier for the later years.

Not to doubt Pinion but I am still holding out. I believe things may have changed in 71/72. I also think my clutch basket had the starter ring on it. Of course the space issues because of the bigger battery on a stock setup will still have to be addressed. The gel batteries have help in that area.

I'll come back with better info over the weekend when I have time to look into it.

bolt on vs. weld on - No experience with bolt-ons. You may get by with out changing much that way. The weld-on changes EVERYTHING. If your going to make it a real Chopper by chopping the frame you will want / have to change the oil bag setup, the battery , rear fender, lights and most of the wiring. Not to mention perhaps raking the front end. Just putting on a hard tail either way with out making major changes is IMHO pointless. You could remove the shocks and install struts. It will give you the same ride at little cost. Check out some of the other IH sites for ideas and info.

www.sportster.org
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/
http://quadcambastards.blogspot.com/
http://www.quadcambastards.com/

Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tracker476
Big Poppa, you are certainly correct about a special bond being formed. Over the last four years, such a special bond has formed that I wish I had super human strength to pick the bike up and throw it across the yard!hahahaha, and then get the knee replacement.

Pg and hog, thank you for the feedback. I had a good idea of what needed to be done, but you definetly just added a few things to the list, and I'm not positive I like the idea anymore. Whats your opinion of the hardtail. bolt on vs. weld on? I'm not going to lie, i'm never satisfied with the bike, I seem to be happiest when I'm working on it, so I'm constantly trying to do new things with it. For better or worse! You know, If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
Time to get that ironhole tuned. Magnetos and kickers are your friends. bendix's and wires are your enemies.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
tracker476
6th Gear

Poppa, the bike is rake out already, not much, just enough for it to be noticed. I'm not positive of the quality because it was like that when i bought it, but right now i have it broken down to the frame because I ran into some vin number issues (lets not get into that one). I removed all the bondo from the frame and saw the neck was rake out. I figured while I have it broken down, I might throw the hard tail on there and complete the bobber look.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain

Definitely toss a weld on hardtail on there. get it tuned right, learn the routine and you should be solid.

My kicker routine was always, pull the choke, kick it through slow until you get compression strong at the top, two twists of the throttle to prime and one heavy kick all the way through. Should fire unless you have some mechanical issues.

Still never got the hang of kicking big inch motors though. I was always scared that they'd kick back and throw me in the dirt.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 PM
hog4u
Cruiser
Default Here's a interesting good solution...

Tech Cycle TORNADO starter for ironheads: http://www.techcycle.com/sportster.html .

A little pricey at $375 plus a new clutch basket if you don't have the ring gear on your.

Thanks to
Ivan RoachCoach Ivan RoachCoach on the QBC board for the info.

Pat

Quick Reply: Ironhead sporty to electric