Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some oil filter part number help....

Old 12-13-2008, 03:26 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some oil filter part number help....

Hey everyone,

I am wanting to get a couple of oil filters for my bike and have been looking online trying to find some part numbers without any luck. I would like to see about running something that I can get locally like at Autozone or something if possible. I was wondering if anyone would have a number that would work with a '08 96" motor. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:45 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Autozone carries K&N filters, just look them up on there site. You may have to order them at Autozone.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a conversion chart for the stock super premium filter. I did try the Napa filter. I got very high oil temp readings under conditions that those temps shouldn't have been seen. It made me nervous, so I pulled the filter and decided to stick with the MoCo filter. The MoCo filter is the only filter with the 5 micron rating. I buy them in bulk from Chicago HD. The Napa filter was also smaller in diameter which required another wrench.

Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
Mobil1 M1-102
Bosch 3330
AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
Baldwin B1413
Fram PH6022, PH6065A
Hastings LF576
NAPA 1348
Purolator ML16822
WIX 51348

Last edited by soos; 12-13-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Link to...

Oil filter cross-reference

Keep in mind that HD filters are made by Purolator, who makes excellent filters, and are rated at 5 microns (nominal value, 50%), smaller than any other filter I'm aware of. I know of no other Purolator or any other filters that have that rating.

The 10-micron and more current 5-micron filters were developed for use with the TC engine which has a different oiling system that allows oil to be forced through a more restrictive oil filter. The reason for the tighter filtration was explained by the manufacturer as necessary to assure all of the smaller passages in the Twin Cam style engine, like the piston oil jets, would stay clear of debris.

Some say that if you run the tighter filter with an Evo engine (high-volume, low-pressure vs. low-volume, high-pressure in the TC) it will not be able to return oil through the filter fast enough, which causes the oil to back up into the lower end (sumping), robbing power and/or causing oil to puke out of the lower end and into the air filter housing. I don't believe this since I used these "Super-premium" TC filters on my '96 Evo for eight years without any adverse side effects, and HD does approve it for use on Evos calling it an "upgrade."

Unlike using "car oil" in a Harley, which is not a problem as long as viscosity is correct or close (e.g., Mobil 1 15w50), there may be some wisdom in using an HD filter. I can't say for sure it is far superior to others on the market, but at $9 I'll continue using the black HD filters (63731-99A) that I change every six months or so. At $14 the chrome variety doesn't filter any better but looks good if you get on your knees and peer down at the filter. I can't even see the filter on my bike without some effort, as the lowers and oil-cooler lines do a good job of hiding it. Anyway, black filter should dissipate heat better than chrome, which is good thing in summer but likely not-so-good in winter.

Last edited by iclick; 12-13-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:04 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with iclick. There is always some debate on the the 5 or 10 micron issue with aftermarket filters. For that reason, I also use the HD black filters. I have also heard the chrome holding in heat issue. It makes sense. Personally, I chose the black ones because using the chrome ones equates to throwing 3 bucks in the trash every oil change.....Yes, I am cheap....At any rate, I usually order about a dozen filters at a time from Chicago HD for 20% off. That way, I get 'em a bit cheaper and always have one on hand.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Oil filter cross-reference

Keep in mind that HD filters are made by Purolator, who makes excellent filters, and are rated at 5 microns (nominal value, 50%), smaller than any other filter I'm aware of. I know of no other Purolator or any other filters that have that rating.

The 10-micron and more current 5-micron filters were developed for use with the TC engine which has a different oiling system that allows oil to be forced through a more restrictive oil filter. The reason for the tighter filtration was explained by the manufacturer as necessary to assure all of the smaller passages in the Twin Cam style engine, like the piston oil jets, would stay clear of debris.

Some say that if you run the tighter filter with an Evo engine (high-volume, low-pressure vs. low-volume, high-pressure in the TC) it will not be able to return oil through the filter fast enough, which causes the oil to back up into the lower end (sumping), robbing power and/or causing oil to puke out of the lower end and into the air filter housing. I don't believe this since I used these "Super-premium" TC filters on my '96 Evo for eight years without any adverse side effects, and HD does approve it for use on Evos calling it an "upgrade."

Unlike using "car oil" in a Harley, which is not a problem as long as viscosity is correct or close (e.g., Mobil 1 15w50), there may be some wisdom in using an HD filter. I can't say for sure it is far superior to others on the market, but at $9 I'll continue using the black HD filters (63731-99A) that I change every six months or so. At $14 the chrome variety doesn't filter any better but looks good if you get on your knees and peer down at the filter. I can't even see the filter on my bike without some effort, as the lowers and oil-cooler lines do a good job of hiding it. Anyway, black filter should dissipate heat better than chrome, which is good thing in summer but likely not-so-good in winter.
I just bought a used 2007 FHLP and it was doing just that. It had a Fram #PH-6022 filter on it. I threw that out and installed a HD 63731-99A and the problem is gone. It would do it on continuous hiway speeds.

Last edited by 69cj; 01-27-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wix 5 micron for twincam 57148 black @ O'reillys
Wix 5 micron for twincam 57348 chrome@ O'reillys
Napa 5 micron for twincam PS7148 black
Napa 5 micron for twincam PS7348 Chrome
Wix website shows a crossreference to HD #'s and clicking on the part # it shows the specs. the Napa 1348 and Wix 51348 are 19-21 micron according to the Wix Spec's
Hope this helps yall!!!!!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just go buy it from your dealer instead of asking for numbers the dealer does stock your oil filter.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM
duallydondon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wix

I have been using Wix 51348 on my 99 wideglide and Wix 51215 on 97 Road King,,they work well with no problems

Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
silverado636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If using a Napa filter go with the PS7348. it is 5 micron and a well built filter. How do I know this. I manage a Napa store and have done my research. Dont use a '1348' as it is 20 micron and not a motorcycle filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some oil filter part number help....