Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Thundermax worth the extra $$$ for a Stage 1?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:41 AM
hellfish
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Thundermax worth the extra $$$ for a Stage 1?

I'm saving up to get my stage 1 upgrade in Jan or Feb (Arlen Ness Big Sucker + V&H Bigshots). I have an 09 Heritage - For the EFI, one of the biggest shops in the area (strokers in Dallas) recommends the Thundermaxx with auto-tune. Harley recommends a SE race tuner with a DynoTune. There's about a $500 difference, but I dont mind spending extra if its worth it ...but is there a big difference?

What do you think?

Last edited by hellfish; 12-17-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

all i know about the stage 1 is told to me by a friend that bought a 2005 heritage softail classic. he said that after the install he could go up hill at 55 mph with his wife on the back in 5th without lugging.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, I believe it is worth it.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the T-Max with AutoTune and it works. I here there are other stuff out there like the TTS Master Tune which is also supposed to be pretty good. But with the TTS you still need a dyno tune.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a set of brand new V&H bigshots for only a couple hurdred miles on my bike, they are now hangin´ in my garage. I like the way they look but I don´t like their sound and performance. Give it a second thought, exhaust is critical when it comes to performance and inve$tment...

I´ve swaped exhaust systems more times than grips and pegs. So far Thunderheaders are the best sounding and performing systems I´ve seen and owned.

Mimo.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mimo
I had a set of brand new V&H bigshots for only a couple hurdred miles on my bike, they are now hangin´ in my garage. I like the way they look but I don´t like their sound and performance. Give it a second thought, exhaust is critical when it comes to performance and inve$tment...

I´ve swaped exhaust systems more times than grips and pegs. So far Thunderheaders are the best sounding and performing systems I´ve seen and owned.

Mimo.
Not Thunderheaders Mimo.....

Thundermaxx auto tuner is what he is talking about.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:25 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsqrne
Not Thunderheaders Mimo.....

Thundermaxx auto tuner is what he is talking about.

Heheheh... I know bro. I did not explained myself correctly. Tuner modules I don´t know chit about. But exhaust systems I do. I saw that he is saving for V&H bigshots, I wanted to hand over a piece of advice regarding the pipes

Mimo.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:59 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Thx for the advice Mimo, but I'm pretty sold on the V&H Big Shot (staggered) - I like the look and sound. I'm mainly concerned about the purchase of the Thundermax vs. SE Race Tuner & Dynotune

Old 12-17-2008, 02:01 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by hellfish
I'm saving up to get my stage 1 upgrade in Jan or Feb (Arlen Ness Big Sucker + V&H Bigshots). I have an 09 Heritage - For the EFI, one of the biggest shops in the area (strokers in Dallas) recommends the Thundermaxx with auto-tune. Harley recommends a SE race tuner with a DynoTune. There's about a $500 difference, but I dont mind spending extra if its worth it ...but is there a big difference?

What do you think?
No matter what EFI tuner you get, you will need a dyno tune to get the most out of it.

That said, the canned maps that come with the t-max, TTS Mastertune, or even the Race Tuner are probably ok.

So to compare, you have to compare first the price of the tuning device, then add the price of a dyno tuning job.

For my money, and I've had the t-max and the TTS mastertune, I'd pick the mastertune again. Much much less money, and still has all the features of the T-max. The Auto-Tune is just another way for the EFI to adjust to whatever map you pick. It does not optimize your tune, just makes you EFI produce what your map says it should produce. Pick the wrong map and it will run like crap.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:04 PM
hellfish
Tourer

Thats some good knowledge, thx r0de runr!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Thundermax worth the extra $$$ for a Stage 1?