Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting rid of the key-2007 Sportster 1200 low

Old 09-30-2006, 06:01 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting rid of the key-2007 Sportster 1200 low

Hi guys, this may be a really stupid question but here it goes. I just bought my wife a 2007 1200 low (for our anniversary) and have the security system on order for it. I already hate the location of the ignition key on the Sportster and was wondering if it can be eliminated or something and can be made more like my Softail with security? On my bike, I never use the key as the security arms when the ignition is turned off and I need to disable the security before turning the ignition switch to start the bike. I assume that the system will arm in the same manner on her Sportster but just leaving the key in the ignition will allow someone to just start the bike or at the very least take the key and leave her keyless. Is there anyway around this?

Old 09-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Getting rid of the key-2007 Sportster 1200 low

Why would you leave a key in the ignition??????

There is a kit out, where you can put the "Bobber" tanks on the sporty and use a Tank Panel with Switch... Pretty trick looking, but very pricey.....

You could always relocate the Ignition switch, maybe near the battery cover...

Lots of additional wiring though...

When your wife gets within 5 feet of the bike, her key fob will be transmitting an RF signal to disengage the security, it is a complete cycle when she turns the key "On".....

Old 09-30-2006, 06:33 PM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

I'm sorry I did not make it clear. I would not leave the key in because it would get stolen. I guess there is no mod that places a switch with a key insert like the big bikes have that fits in that small lock cylinder location.

Mark

Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
flavoflav
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: commander112

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

I'm sorry I did not make it clear. I would not leave the key in because it would get stolen. I guess there is no mod that places a switch with a key insert like the big bikes have that fits in that small lock cylinder location.

Mark

You need to look at this product - The Keyless Iginition Module - it rocks - here is a link to the Keyless Ignition Module

And a review of the product here:

http://www.westcoastbikers.com/digit...gnition-module

Cheers!!

J -

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 PM
HarleyScuba
Elite HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I relocated my ignition switch without cutting any wires. I did notch the back of the factory switch housing to get it tight against the frame and to secure the bundle of wires. It's not keyless, I just didn't like the factory location.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I moved mine as well, but would like to not have to use a key at all as well. I am looking at the Digital Guard Dawg system, but am not ready to shell out that kind of dough yet.

Look above the derby cover. My skull key is inserted in this pic.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why in the hell would you leave your key in there??? or even suggest it? do you do the same thing in your car? it deserves to get stolen, thats why the key ignition EXISTS haha

Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephGarcia
why in the hell would you leave your key in there??? or even suggest it? do you do the same thing in your car? it deserves to get stolen, thats why the key ignition EXISTS haha
I don't live in SoCal anymore so I don't have to worry about it. Yeah, I do leave the key in the bikes when I go into a small store or like a Subway to have a sandwich made. I leave the doors to my house unlocked and the keys in my tractor and cages too.

As to the key location on the Sporty, I don't worry about it because the only time I use it is to turn it on before start and I don't turn it off until I dismount the bike anyway, that's what the kill switch is for.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:46 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
I don't live in SoCal anymore so I don't have to worry about it. Yeah, I do leave the key in the bikes when I go into a small store or like a Subway to have a sandwich made. I leave the doors to my house unlocked and the keys in my tractor and cages too.

As to the key location on the Sporty, I don't worry about it because the only time I use it is to turn it on before start and I don't turn it off until I dismount the bike anyway, that's what the kill switch is for.
i leave my house unlocked when im just out for a few hours, but the bedroom with all the important stuff is locked whenever im not in it and whenever i am already inside it.

i go to subway all the time and even though i can see my bike from the giant glass front wall that every subway seems to have, i still wouldnt leave the key inside.

but its becuase my ignition switch is under the gas tank between the two cylinders on the top engine mount. its where the horn is on the 1200C. so its much more visible

Old 12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
ride2tires
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flavoflav
You need to look at this product - The Keyless Iginition Module - it rocks - here is a link to the Keyless Ignition Module

And a review of the product here:

http://www.westcoastbikers.com/digit...gnition-module

Cheers!!

J -
Looks like one sweet unit! Great idea. Kinda pricey, but what we won't pay for convience.

I personnally leave the keys in the ignition.Because that way I know right where they are..... right where they should be. Also, they seem to fit so well there! Kinda like they were made for eachother and what not.