General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of a Harley Davidson is made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How much of a Harley Davidson is made in China?

Hey guys, I have a question that has been sort of crawling in the back of my head for some time now. When I first got the idea of buying a Harley, I started talking to people asking their opinions. Suprisingly enough many people have told me that a lot of the parts in a Harley are made in China. I always thought the bike was 100 % made in the USA using American parts, and I hope this is true, so I am just wanting to confirm.

So what do you guys know about this?

EDIT:

Sorry I should also add, how much of a Harley Davidson is also made in other countries other than China? Mexico maybe? Although I'm not an American citizen, I am pretty patriotic as to where the bike is actually made, and it would sadden me if I am paying a premium price for something which claims to be American made turns out is 40 % made overseas?

Last edited by Bumbobee; 12-24-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of parts are outsourced,,, if ya want a 100% Harley, you'd be paying 35,000 per bike

Old 12-24-2008, 08:49 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's made in America with about 85% American parts if my memory serves me right. Most of the chrome HD accessory parts used to be made in America but now it seems like the majority of them are made in China.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

I read somewhere that the engines are assembled in Mexico and shipped over, anyone confirm this?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:26 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
It's made in America with about 85% American parts if my memory serves me right. Most of the chrome HD accessory parts used to be made in America but now it seems like the majority of them are made in China.

LOL, that doesn't make it American! It may be a American company and assembled in America, but truly not American anymore.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, the forks are from Japan....made by the Showa company, I know this.

Most of the lights are from China

The chrome pieces are from Asia....no EPA reg's to deal with.

In all honesty, maybe a hair over half is made in America. They are assembled in America.

P.S. The engines are American Made.

Get used to it. We live in a Global economy/world. We are now one happy family.

~Joe

Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Phil K
Road Captain

There was a book out a couple of years back called American Made or something similar. The author cited Harley as 85% U.S. made. Not too bad...i've heard people quote ridiculous stats stating they are less than 50% U.S. made..and according to this book, it's untrue.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Well, the forks are from Japan....made by the Showa company, I know this.

Most of the lights are from China

The chrome pieces are from Asia....no EPA reg's to deal with.

In all honesty, maybe a hair over half is made in America. They are assembled in America.

P.S. The engines are American Made.

Get used to it. We live in a Global economy/world. We are now one happy family.

~Joe
The Sportster brakes are Nissin of Japan. Other models use Brembo or Kelsey Hayes.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

85 % is good, Id be happy with that. Lights and stuff I don't care about. What I do care about is key components being made in the USA. I am looking at the situation from a safety/quality standpoint, China is not known for much of anything quality wise, much less mechinal things. If the forks or brakes are from Japan, I guess that is cool because the Japanese know their **** Same with European countries.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
85 % is good, Id be happy with that. Lights and stuff I don't care about. What I do care about is key components being made in the USA. I am looking at the situation from a safety/quality standpoint, China is not known for much of anything quality wise, much less mechinal things. If the forks or brakes are from Japan, I guess that is cool because the Japanese know their **** Same with European countries.
When it comes to mechanical things like engines, transmissions cars, trucks and such I would agree. However, when it comes to toys like die cast motorcycles, miniature trains and the likes, their quality and ability to mimic the original puts the Japanese to shame....

Quick Reply: How much of a Harley Davidson is made in China?