Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NADA list price: ya gotta be kiddin me

Old 12-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts
Default NADA list price: ya gotta be kiddin me

Was checking the NADA book values on a 2001 Ultra Classic this morning. Low average retail is $10,745 and high average retail is $12,975. Seems like a reasonable range and presumably it's derived from sales data. What appears to be out of whack is the suggested list price of $19,790. That's $6K higher than the average high retail. Although it's wise to put a fudge factor in the list price when selling a used bike, a $6K buffer isn't going to get the bike sold. Guaranteed to scare off a prospective buyer. No wonder why there are so many overpriced used bikes listed for sale on ebay and elsewhere that aren't selling. My .02.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plow64
Was checking the NADA book values on a 2001 Ultra Classic this morning. Low average retail is $10,745 and high average retail is $12,975. Seems like a reasonable range and presumably it's derived from sales data. What appears to be out of whack is the suggested list price of $19,790. That's $6K higher than the average high retail. Although it's wise to put a fudge factor in the list price when selling a used bike, a $6K buffer isn't going to get the bike sold. Guaranteed to scare off a prospective buyer. No wonder why there are so many overpriced used bikes listed for sale on ebay and elsewhere that aren't selling. My .02.
I could be wrong, but I think the suggested list was the original purchase (list) price when the bike was new?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 AM
ssihogdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raaze07
I could be wrong, but I think the suggested list was the original purchase (list) price when the bike was new?
Bingo! That is correct.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 AM
rfultra
Road Master

i hate the buying experience, you never really know if you could have bought it a little cheaper or not. Like you though $6000 is noticeable.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Raaze07
I do believe you're right. Just went back and checked it.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

People trade those used bikes at "Wholesale" prices at best. Retail prices is for suckers. Buyers who know what they're doing even look to lower the wholesale prices down. It's still supply and demand and the economy too.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:44 AM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

my brother in law traded in his 1976 shovel which they gave him 2k, he bought a 2000 ultra classsic with 55k miles, so bike otd 14k.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:47 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

No wonder why there are so many overpriced used bikes listed for sale on ebay and elsewhere that aren't selling.
Indeed.

A big reason they're not selling is that the seller wants to get a price equal to or better than their payoff. Many one and two year old bikes are listed for at and sometimes above what a new one costs. Maybe you shouldn't have rolled all those accessories, gap coverage, warranty, and motorclothes into the loan. The new seller isn't going to pay for all of that.

Many Harley owners have failed to grasp that this isn't 2001 anymore. Supply has long caught up with demand. In fact, supple has exceeded demand and then some.

Many Harley sellers have no problem understanding that if they bought a car and traded it in a year later, they'll have a minimum $4500 negative equity, perhaps more. These same sellers can't understand why their bike isn't selling and have received no offers.

You've got a used bike. It's a Harley but it's still used. Subtract 20% minimum for the first year, an additional 10-15% for the second year.

The market is glutted with so many motorcycles now. The NADA book does not reflect current market conditions. Seven years ago, NADA prices would be very accurate.

My advice to prospective buyers: Make sure this is the bike you want to own because unless you're putting a substantial amount down, you'll lose money selling in the first three years.

My advice to prospective sellers: Be realistic. The market is vastly different now than in the 90's and the beginning of the aughts. There is a HUGE supply of new and used bikes. There is a recession. Your bike is USED. It's worth less, much less than when you bought it new. Even with all those accessories.

Not to mention that someone has to have cash to buy your bike. At the very least, arrange financing on their own. That significantly reduces the number of potential buyers.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
People trade those used bikes at "Wholesale" prices at best. Retail prices is for suckers. Buyers who know what they're doing even look to lower the wholesale prices down. It's still supply and demand and the economy too.
SNS, I'd love to hear how to purchase a used bike below wholesale. Been looking for a used touring bike to add to the stable for many months now. The prices I've seen on e-bay and craigslist are out of my range.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:26 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Plow64
SNS, I'd love to hear how to purchase a used bike below wholesale. Been looking for a used touring bike to add to the stable for many months now. The prices I've seen on e-bay and craigslist are out of my range.
Well sure, the current owners can certainly "ask" whatever they want right? They are misinformed "wishful thinking" sellers that are hopefull of getting what they owe and a few dollars extra as profit. Thats' why so many are simply not selling. Cars and Bikes are different but in the used car world, noone deals in those "retail" numbers and smart shoppers (and sellers alike) work around wholesale. All these current owners of used bikes for sale have a high sentimental value attached, that is they dont want to lose any money on the deal and thus, the bike does not sell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NADA list price: ya gotta be kiddin me