Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
rahall
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TTS Mastertune Information

To all new readers of this thread. You may want to start at the last page then go about 5 or 6 pages back to start reading. It's a long thread and many things have changed on the TTS.

No need to start reading from the beginning. It will only confuse you.

...or start with VTune 3 here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...l#post13680946

-wiz

I would like to start a new TTS Mastertune information thread.

There is a lot of TTS information on the “Locked” TTS thread and I would like to continue the technical exchange of information.

I completely understand why the moderators had to lock the TTS Info thread.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO affiliation with TTS Mastertune other than ownership of one tuning module.

****Please do not post sales information in this thread.****

Here’s my story:

I started my 2007 Ultra Stage I upgrade with a PCIII. The bike ran reasonably well with the PCIII after the dyno tune, but I got poor gas mileage and I always thought there was a little more performance that I wasn’t getting. Plus, I never really liked the idea of taking the O2 sensors out of the system. So, I sold the PCIII and bought a Thundermax with Autotune (TMAX).

The TMAX worked well with the Stage I setup. I then upgraded to Headquarters cams. I was never able to get the timing right with the new cams and the TMAX. I couldn’t find anyone in my area to dyno my bike with the TMAX system. I gave up after messing with it for most of the riding season. So, I purchased a TTS Mastertune system.

I re-installed the stock ECM, configured the TTS, saved the stock map (nice TTS feature incase you want to put the stock map back on the ECM), and wrote TTS map PZ176 to the ECM. The bike started right up and I went for a long ride. The bike ran very good even without going through the vtune process. I may be wrong, but I attribute this to timing. There was no pinging or knocking at all. I believe the timing was either correct or was being properly adjusted by the “Knock control” feature of the stock Harley ECM. I am told, this feature, which apparently retards the timing if engine knock is detected, is not available on the TMAX system. The bike was smoother and had better throttle response than it did with any other EFI tuning system that I tried. I then went through the vtune process.

I went through the vtune process rather than taking the bike for a dyno tune. The vtune program comes with the TTS system. The whole process took (in my case) two 30 minute tuning runs and I was through. This process optimizes the VE tables for your bike. I completed the vtune process and went for a long ride. This time, in addition to smoothness and better throttle response, I noticed more power.

The bottom line………..

My bike has never run better. I’m sure there is even greater performance to be had with a good dyno tune, but I am completely happy with the current performance. My MPG also increased.

I am not a TTS expert by any stretch of the imagination. So, if any TTS folks out there want to correct anything that I have said, I will certainly not be offended.

If fact, I have a question.

I plan on making a couple of data runs for the purpose of checking the timing. My theory is that I will check areas where there are excessive anti-knock adjustments being made. I was planning on reducing the timing table in those areas. Does this make since?

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 02-06-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My story is virtually the same. Except for dyno-tuning the PC-III. And except for swapping out the stock ECM for another. And except for vtuning the TTS map. I haven't taken the time yet to do the vtune because after careful consideration and trial of the "base" map's operation, I think maybe the time to do the vtune might not be cost-effective, if you know what I mean.

Oh, I'll get around to it this spring, when I finally get around to cleaning my K&N filter element.

I, too, hope this thread succeeds.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 PM
rahall
Tourer

Me too, I would like to hear from more TTS users.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 AM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same situation. I started my EFI adventure pcIII then stepped up to the sert to try to get better results. I was intrigued with auto tune and added the Terry's components terminal velocity to the sert. I still was not satisfied with the results and stepped up to buying a DTT wego system to get auto tune. I fought this system for a couple of years and never got my economy better than 36 mpg and always had knock issues. The DTT can't deal with timing adjustment. So I upgraded to the TTS system. I have had reasonable results but knock issues are still causing me grief. Some may be because of my build which I have removed the heads to investigate possible causes. If you make a data recording of o2 and check out the fast retard for the front and rear cylinders you will see knock events and the computer pulling out timing. I wish the manuals would go deeper into what you are seeing but there seems to be little info available concerning how to deal with this. I would hope the moderators would see fit to give us TTS users a sticky where we can share success stories and workarounds to overcome the problems.

The following users liked this post:
rsking45 (08-21-2022)
Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
cts1950
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be interested in the data collection for vtune. I set up this monitor on my dash with the lap top in the tour pak.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-tts-tune-histogram-001-copy.jpg   TTS Mastertune Information-tts-tune-histogram-009-copy.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
walstibsf (11-08-2023)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 AM
streetdjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

I'm very happy Rahall started this thread because I was very disapointed to see all the others threads ending the same way even if I understand why ....
I'm also a TTS happy customer, and I'm using it since september on my 2008 Streetbob
I've made many Vtune sessions, mostly because I've made some changes to my system, going from OEM slipons to Vance ones and from OEM AC to Big sucker.
So I do have a large collection of records and still collecting ...
I use a Panasonic Thoughbook PC in my tank bag with serial connection to my TTS and I'm very happy with it, despite some trouble with the cables breaking at some different points, certainly due to extensive use. So I took my solder out and made some bulletproof cables that you could hang with ....
My bike runs very well since the first map (AE176) et even better since the Vtune sessions.
I'm now in the same process as Rahall, chasing the knock retard in my records and making some slight adjustments to the spark tables with some success until now.
For now, I'm going to made some mods to my AFR table to see if it would free some more poneys, mostly in the middle RPM (round 3500) where I would like to have a little more guts. Results to come ....

a question : did one of you try to use the Dyno tool that TTS provide ?

To CTS1950 : your Vtune collection is impressive, never succed to perform such a complete one....

Last edited by streetdjack; 12-23-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM
rahall
Tourer

So it seems I'm headed in the right direction on the timing.

I've studied the help files on the Dyno tool. I just need as break in the weather now.

Any chase on that sticky moderators?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 AM
ranman469
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the info here!!

??? when it goes in the v tune setup. does it set the AFR to stock? or does the user set it up?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM
streetdjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't perfectly understand your question
If you want to know if you've got to stay with the stock AFR when you do the Vtune, the answer is "No"
before you start your Vtune sessions, you've got to choose the AFR that you're gone use in setting the closed loop bias to the value you want, somewhere between 450mV (stock 14.6:1) and 796mV (max 14.2:1)
use the "O2 Calculator" under "Tools" in the Mastertune to choose your CLB value
when done, do not change the CLB value in the final map, because that would invalidate the VE values
You must do some new Vtune sessions if you want to use a different CLB...

Last edited by streetdjack; 12-23-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 AM
rahall
Tourer

You set the AFR table to 14.6 before taking the vtune data.

14.6 sends the system into closed loop mode.

This allows the vtune program to use the O2 sensors to collect the necessary data for the vtune and subsequent optimization of the VE tables.

This is a very simple process.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information