Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape hangers on my Electra Glide. Need advice

Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM
TXK9
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape hangers on my Electra Glide. Need advice

I have been giving some thought about making my Electra Glide more comfortable. I have been looking at some Ape bagger bars from Wild 1. They have a 10 in and a 12 in. Has anyone installed apes on their bagger before? Which one is most comfortable? Im 6 1' and have a long torso and long arms. Are they hard to install? Also I could use a little leg room. Any recommendations on a after market seat to give me some more room? How well does the floor board extensions work? Any advice from those who have made these modifications will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXK9
I have been giving some thought about making my Electra Glide more comfortable. I have been looking at some Ape bagger bars from Wild 1. They have a 10 in and a 12 in. Has anyone installed apes on their bagger before? Which one is most comfortable? Im 6 1' and have a long torso and long arms. Are they hard to install? Also I could use a little leg room. Any recommendations on a after market seat to give me some more room? How well does the floor board extensions work? Any advice from those who have made these modifications will be appreciated. Thank you.
Can't help you on the apes, never used them.
Bars aren't hard to install.
With apes, you'll be extending all your wires and cables.
Take your time.

Floorboards...forum member "soos" sells the extensions, but in your case...you may want something like the Kuryakn that extends them out and forward, 1"
I'm installing a set on my bro's bike.
Nice part.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 AM
lawnmower man
Cruiser

There are a lot of different ways to go here. One thing to look @ is the mustang solo, it brings you back a pretty good bit. A friend of mine has one on a streetglide and let me try it out cause I wanted the solo look. The reach was way too far for the bars for me. The stock seat on the EG's puts you almost sitting on top of the tank and @ 5'10 it made me feel crowded, never even used my floorboards. I purchased a used sundowner seat from a friend of mine and it brought me back about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and down just a little, very comfortable seat but not very well made. Mine is tearing at the seams and I have seen 3 other seats doing the same thing, but for $100 bucks with the backrest couldn't pass up. A friend of mine who is your height rode mine and he said it was the most comfortable bike he had been on. I did the soos floorboard extensions and Klockwerks ergo back bars. Be careful when choosing your apes if you go that route, they will affect the way your bike handles. From what I have seen the wider the bars, the more affect on handling. I think your stock bars are 34 1/2 inches wide. Just my opinion I would find the seat I liked first that brought you back to where you are comfortable and then you can see where you want your bars to be, the stock ones might feel good to you then. I have replaced my bars twice on mine and it is about a 4 to 6 hour job if you have to change cables, someone with more experience I'm sure could do it much quicker.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As for as the bars go,I wouldn't go less than 12".I put 13" cyclesmith on my EGC and used +6 on all cables.Didn't have to extend the wires,just reroute them under the radio.If you don't have a manual,get one.Its not a hard job, just time consumming.Pay attention what your doing and take pics if nesasary.It took me two day after work,thats why I took pics.I suffer from CRS.

One thing to note is,which ever bars you use.Be sure to debur the inside opening where the wire go in.Mine were sharp and would have cut the wires.

I took my stock seat to a local shop and had it worked on.Took some foam from the back so I could set farther back.Also had half of my back rest removed for more room.

Attached Thumbnails Ape hangers on my Electra Glide. Need advice-karleys-4th-birthday-and-caleb-033-small-.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 AM
MassHD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my set up. I used the HD solo Brawler to push me down and back.

Name:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 14175
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0361.jpg
Views: 15113
Size:  58.2 KB

Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses

Nah....it ain't hard. Especially iffin u got a service manual. Do urself a favor and drop da dime & do it right with new cables and extensions. Re-routin em underneath looks like $hit on a white duck. Holla @ Johnny Vaughn over at HDBikeparts(dot)com...he has the hook up 2 insure an EZ install.

Personally, I work'd e'rything around the bars 1st. Much EZ'r to change out seat and fwds iffin somethin doesn't feel right. My 15"s are much mo' comfy than stockers. My Corbin saddle does the rest. BTW...I ran +8 all the way around and used 12" NAMZ kit.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
BigJess510
Cruiser

good looking MassHD

Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 62 Likes on 16 Posts

I am really diggin' those black 13" Cycle Smith's!

m.a.c.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Trippie
Advanced

I did the Yaffe Bagger Apes and a Danny G. Butt Crack Solo seat. Moved me back quit a bit. Try a smaller seat first, if thats not enogh then do the bars. The bar install is not hard, just be patient.

Attached Thumbnails Ape hangers on my Electra Glide. Need advice-p1010174.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This link helped me quite a bit when I changed to WO 575s on my 05 Ultra. It is not hard to change the bars, just take your time. In my case the bars made more difference than a seat, but I am 5'11 and my arms are not long.

http://www.kenandjudy.us/Motorcycles...new_page_1.htm

Good luck, and ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
Cootey (09-17-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ape hangers on my Electra Glide. Need advice