Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security light

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM
grumpez
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light

Ok guys, lets see if anyone has the answer to this problem. I have a 07 Deuce with the security system on it. Lately, the security light in my speedo has been coming on while I'm riding the bike. It stays on for a while, then will go off briefly, then come back on and stay on for a while. I've tried to trace the wiring to see if there are any breaks or problems with no luck. Any suggestions. Also, sometimes, especially after I've been riding, I have to pull the clutch in to start the bike when it's in neutral. This has all happened since I changed over the the drag bars from Harley. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM
chillman9
Advanced

Originally Posted by grumpez
Ok guys, lets see if anyone has the answer to this problem. I have a 07 Deuce with the security system on it. Lately, the security light in my speedo has been coming on while I'm riding the bike. It stays on for a while, then will go off briefly, then come back on and stay on for a while. I've tried to trace the wiring to see if there are any breaks or problems with no luck. Any suggestions. Also, sometimes, especially after I've been riding, I have to pull the clutch in to start the bike when it's in neutral. This has all happened since I changed over the the drag bars from Harley. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Security light is just telling you to "ride it like you stoled it"
But seriously, check the service manual, they have wiring diagrams and testing procedures. Might help you track down the problem.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:35 AM
grumpez
Cruiser

I checked the book and the wiring diagram only shows the dash wire, not where it leads too. Or my old age isn't allowing me to follow it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be throwing a fault code.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Change the battery in the fob. Could be getting weak.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Question Only more questions...

As Keno said "any DTC's" present? When you say the "security lamp comes on, then goes out", do you mean it enters the "alarm set" mode {flashing}? You may be experiencing a momentary loss of bus signal (ex: U1300, 1301, 1016, 1064, 1255) which will not shut down the bike while you are riding since it does not recognize this as a security breach and will allow you normal operation even after stopping. Basically means the TSM & ECM are not communicating at times: perplexing since this should be showing up as an engine light vice the security lamp, though. At least should show up as a speedometer fault code and may help to narrow down the problem. Or... if lamp stays ON, then goes out, without flashing then comes back on? Could be an security lamp circuit fault to ground: I don't have all wire colors but the circuit/pin connections are as follows: FROM the TSM/HFSM @ pin #3 TO speedometer pin #2, ALSO to ECM @ pin #5 and to the J-1850 @ pin # 3. The security lamp wire color should be Lt. green/violet, so all may be same color. From the TSM/HFSM pin #10 to the clutch switch to ground {BLK/R wire} so should be a simple enough closed/open check of switch and wiring (not familiar with "newer" bikes: they have these?) since you mention a start-up problem only in neutral. If you do not have fault codes, I would treat it as a simple security lamp wiring/connection problem vice a TSM/security problem (light comes ON when the circuit is GROUNDED). Hope this helped some anyways...

Old 01-19-2009, 12:41 PM
grumpez
Cruiser

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I thought about the battery in the fob, maybe I'll try that first since that seems to be the easiest then go from there.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 PM
grumpez
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robzuc97
As Keno said "any DTC's" present? When you say the "security lamp comes on, then goes out", do you mean it enters the "alarm set" mode {flashing}? You may be experiencing a momentary loss of bus signal (ex: U1300, 1301, 1016, 1064, 1255) which will not shut down the bike while you are riding since it does not recognize this as a security breach and will allow you normal operation even after stopping. Basically means the TSM & ECM are not communicating at times: perplexing since this should be showing up as an engine light vice the security lamp, though. At least should show up as a speedometer fault code and may help to narrow down the problem. Or... if lamp stays ON, then goes out, without flashing then comes back on? Could be an security lamp circuit fault to ground: I don't have all wire colors but the circuit/pin connections are as follows: FROM the TSM/HFSM @ pin #3 TO speedometer pin #2, ALSO to ECM @ pin #5 and to the J-1850 @ pin # 3. The security lamp wire color should be Lt. green/violet, so all may be same color. From the TSM/HFSM pin #10 to the clutch switch to ground {BLK/R wire} so should be a simple enough closed/open check of switch and wiring (not familiar with "newer" bikes: they have these?) since you mention a start-up problem only in neutral. If you do not have fault codes, I would treat it as a simple security lamp wiring/connection problem vice a TSM/security problem (light comes ON when the circuit is GROUNDED). Hope this helped some anyways...
robzuc97, While the bike is running the security light comes on and stays on solid, it does not flash. It goes out every now and then, but stays on solid for the most part. I tried replacing the battery in the fob, but, that didn't change anything. I think I'm going to remove the tank and try and trace the wires down, that's the only thing I can think to do at this point, other than taking it to the dealer and paying through the nose.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM
keno
Road Master

Did you check to see if your getting a fault code? I'd do that first before I started chasing down wires. I don't remember off hand the sequence of turning on/off the ignition/pushing the kill switch etc etc but someone will be along shortly and tell you what to do.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
grumpez
Cruiser

Keno, if someone can tell me the process of doing that I'd be happy to try that first. Believe me, I'm really not looking forwarding to pulling everything apart. I would be very much appreciative.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Security light