Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review on SE 255 cams

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Review on SE 255 cams

I am sure there several that tour with their Ultra Classic. The purpose of this review to give some some input on what to expect if considering this route.
I have a 2007 Ultra Classic with 30,000 miles. I was disappointed it the lack of ability to pull 6th gear in my hilly and mountain area where I live. Not to mention when loaded 2 up and with gear for a few week ride-touring the struggle (at times) the bike had when taking off in first gear.
I went with a stage 1 first. Rode the bike some 20,000 miles like that. Although the stage 1 was a big improvement When in 6th the engine would labor on long hills (fuel mileage was effected also). At my 30,000 miles I decided to change cams;that way I would save a few bucks. They had to inspect the cam chain shoes any way. I decided to go with Se 255 cams. The reason I picked the SE 255 cams was I am using a fuelpak by V&H. I am quiet sure there are better choices and with a pc111 there were more options.
I rode home and put 100 miles on the bike doing so. I could tell a big difference in tq... Since I was solo and and had no baggage I did not feel it was a good test. Today my wife and I rode about 100 miles. I noticed that as soon as I let the clutch out there was a big difference, no haggling at all.
Since I live on a mountain there are lots of curves and hills. I pulled up 65-70 mph in 6th. Again I noticed a big difference. No laboring at all at any speed on hills. The real test was coming home back up the mountain. It is about 15 miles, at least, constant incline. The bike took it in stride and did not labor. I stopped at a fuel station to check my mpg. I had rode 100.2 miles and used 2.14 gallons which is 46.7 mpg. An increase of 2 mpg at least.
It pulls strong up to 4,000 rpm's. As a tourer not after that much hp or tq for that matter. I am very happy with my results.
Again I do think there are better components that will better together. I simply wanted like this; KISS-keep it simple stupid.
I hope this may help some that is thinking of the same thing.
I was looking a a gear reduction- whether it be off the crank or clutch- big bore kit. I went to the cams first because I really did not want to go 103 or 110. I tour period. Mpg was important to me.
thanks for allowing me this grand oppertunity to share this.
Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by dirtdobber:
HillbillyRick (05-11-2023), J Custom Builds (10-14-2023)
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
I am sure there several that tour with their Ultra Classic. The purpose of this review to give some some input on what to expect if considering this route.
I have a 2007 Ultra Classic with 30,000 miles. I was disappointed it the lack of ability to pull 6th gear in my hilly and mountain area where I live. Not to mention when loaded 2 up and with gear for a few week ride-touring the struggle (at times) the bike had when taking off in first gear.
I went with a stage 1 first. Rode the bike some 20,000 miles like that. Although the stage 1 was a big improvement When in 6th the engine would labor on long hills (fuel mileage was effected also). At my 30,000 miles I decided to change cams;that way I would save a few bucks. They had to inspect the cam chain shoes any way. I decided to go with Se 255 cams. The reason I picked the SE 255 cams was I am using a fuelpak by V&H. I am quiet sure there are better choices and with a pc111 there were more options.
I rode home and put 100 miles on the bike doing so. I could tell a big difference in tq... Since I was solo and and had no baggage I did not feel it was a good test. Today my wife and I rode about 100 miles. I noticed that as soon as I let the clutch out there was a big difference, no haggling at all.
Since I live on a mountain there are lots of curves and hills. I pulled up 65-70 mph in 6th. Again I noticed a big difference. No laboring at all at any speed on hills. The real test was coming home back up the mountain. It is about 15 miles, at least, constant incline. The bike took it in stride and did not labor. I stopped at a fuel station to check my mpg. I had rode 100.2 miles and used 2.14 gallons which is 46.7 mpg. An increase of 2 mpg at least.
It pulls strong up to 4,000 rpm's. As a tourer not after that much hp or tq for that matter. I am very happy with my results.
Again I do think there are better components that will better together. I simply wanted like this; KISS-keep it simple stupid.
I hope this may help some that is thinking of the same thing.
I was looking a a gear reduction- whether it be off the crank or clutch- big bore kit. I went to the cams first because I really did not want to go 103 or 110. I tour period. Mpg was important to me.
thanks for allowing me this grand oppertunity to share this.
Jim
Thats a good description of the 255;s. I live in a a mountain area and experianced what you did. I use 6th geaqr all the time now and I think a the 255 cams are great for touring style riding. However on the big bore, I had that done also and my fuel milage went way up because the engine does not have to work as hard to do the same work. But when I ride alone and ride hard, fast accelerations, ect. my milage will drop to what it was before i got the work done.

The 255 cams and 103 do not make your bike a hot rod by any stretch but it does make the bike perform very strong and the way one would expect it to. Now if you want to do burn outs or wheelies, see the HQ builds.

The following users liked this post:
J Custom Builds (10-14-2023)
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
zzmellio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you notice any engine cooling benifits from the 225 cams?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Couldn't tell any difference. It was in the 50's and i do not think 200 miles would be enough to say it did or didn't. I do not see how cams would make a difference in the heat of the engine. Big bore that's something different. I am using the HD oil cooler so I am not concerned with heat.
I have not ruled out the 103 big bore yet. Money is rater tight so I went with cams first.
Jim

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When in 6th the engine would labor on long hills
So, downshift.

Since I live on a mountain there are lots of curves and hills.

The real test was coming home back up the mountain. It is about 15 miles, at least, constant incline.
So, downshift.

I was looking a a gear reduction-
It's easier to downshift. Less expensive, too.

Glad you're happy with the cam change, sounds like it was a needed improvement.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM
confused
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost of the cams and install total price? if I may ask

Old 01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm curious if the 255's will help a bike that is prone to pinging. I have a ping that I can't seem to tune out at about 2800 rpms with a roll on the throttle. I'm debating between 3cams, the 255, the Andrews 21 and the Woods 6-6.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

+1 on the 255 cams for a high tq touring bike. Lots of fun to ride, very quick off the line very strong pull in all gears.

Dennis

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just did the 103 with 255 cams and only have 600 miles on it but the difference is amazing. The useless 6th gear is gone, I have rode 2 up on hilly roads using 6th at 50 mph now, twist the throttle at 2000 rpms now and the motor pulls smooth and strong. Like dirtdobber said, it not going to be a hot rod, but it sure makes alot more power for something simple. My bikes power is as smooth as stock only alot stronger, would I like to have more? Yes, but the power wouldn't be where I ride 90% of the time so it would cost me more $$ and cause more shifting, I like just twisting the throttle.

The following 2 users liked this post by TODDNVAL:
HillbillyRick (05-11-2023), J Custom Builds (10-14-2023)
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Pinging

Originally Posted by stro1965
I'm curious if the 255's will help a bike that is prone to pinging. I have a ping that I can't seem to tune out at about 2800 rpms with a roll on the throttle. I'm debating between 3cams, the 255, the Andrews 21 and the Woods 6-6.
I had to retard the timing above 1700 rpm with my power commander to get rid of the ping.....Some have had limited success w/ one step colder plug.

Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review on SE 255 cams