Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on how to lower my dyna lowrider

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
vinny t.
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on how to lower my dyna lowrider

I just got me a 2008 dyna lowrider and want to lower it. I have been looking
for lowering kits. I did find a kit that will lower it 1". I read this morning about a dyna FXDL owner who was selling his original 12" shocks and was also selling the 11 1/2 " shocks he had put on saying that the bike was still too high. What size of shocks can I put without the tire rubbing or messing up the suspension? Or do I have to get a lowering kit instead of smaller shocks? How low can it be lowered?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It may help us to know why you want to lower your scoot......cosmetics ? Your height ??

Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
2NAHNTR
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you this. I put 11.5 progressives on my 05 lowrider and it is perfect for me. Lowered it about 3/4 inch and no issues rubbing either solo or two up. I personally did not like some of the things I read about the lowering blocks concerning the geometry and scratching the swingarm. If I were you, I would stick with the shocks. I have read on here that many people recommend going with the HD versions of shorter shocks if you are over 220lbs or ride two up.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:53 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what i hear a lowering kit can screw up the suspension geometry and its better to just go with a shorter shock. Progressives seem to be the industry standard.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:55 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

Like everyone else, shocks. I put St Bob shocks on mine, noticably lower. You could also bring your front tubes up thru the tree's a little more.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 11" progressives on the rear of my 06 FXD which has the same frame as your 08 FXDL. The only issues I have had with the 11"s is the tire tearing up rear signal wiring. I have since relocated the signals and am using a wider tire with no problems.

For under $325.00, you could go with with 11.5" Progressive rears and the new Progressive drop-in spring kit on the front. This set-up should not cause any rubbing under the rear fender and give your bike a nice stance.

Welcome to the forum! Hope we collaboratively cost you a fortune.

Last edited by jmpancoast; 02-10-2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:26 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

11" progressives work great for the rear. about $200 on ebay. to lower the front just slide you fork tubes up thru the trees a little. thats what i did.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to see some facts and data on why lowering blocks are bad. Anybody?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I would love to see some facts and data on why lowering blocks are bad. Anybody?
they may not be a bad idea, I think small bumps will be felt more as the shock will be less perpendicular to the ground. You can always adjust the preload softer to compensate. Doing so will allow for the shock to bottom easier though. Also you are lowering a bike but maintaining the stock travel. May run into clearance issues as the shock bottoms out.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
OutlawBagger
Road Captain

I have the lowering blocks on mine since money is tight and can't do the shocks right now. But to tell you the truth after riding almost 200 miles with the lowering blocks and stock shocks neither myself or my girlfriend is complaining about the ride quality. It still feels like the stock ride. I know about suspension geometry being a past drag racer. Moving it that little isn't that bad in my opinion.

Does anyone have any info stating that the lowering blocks are bad?

Quick Reply: advice on how to lower my dyna lowrider