Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

When to Replace Brake Fluid?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
NYSportster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post When to Replace Brake Fluid?

Manual says to check levels and I am assuming if it's low to add more brake fluid. So when do you need to replace brake fluid?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My manual says every two years. I thought this was overkill but I tried it. New fluid did make the brakes feel firmer.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:43 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As often as you like but at least every 10K in my opinion.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on what fluid, if its a dot 4 based bike every 2 years because of water absorption. Dot 5 dosen't pick up water so not as critical. Mike

Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM
NYSportster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. My bike uses DOT 5; I'm gonna change it in the Spring.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

10k/2years...flush the entire system...get some speed bleeders and it takes 10 minutes.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
10k/2years...flush the entire system...get some speed bleeders and it takes 10 minutes.
Where, pray tell, may find some speed bleeders? And, what will they look like?

Bart

Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How many actually change brake fluid in their cars? Havn't done a single car in my 40 years of driving. Unless major work is done, it aint needed. It's a none compressable fluid and don't change. It can't absorb moisture in a close system unless you drive around with the cap off as it's not vented to atmosphere. There is nothing special with a Harley that needs periodic fluid changes.
Ron

Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
How many actually change brake fluid in their cars? Havn't done a single car in my 40 years of driving. Unless major work is done, it aint needed. It's a none compressable fluid and don't change. It can't absorb moisture in a close system unless you drive around with the cap off as it's not vented to atmosphere. There is nothing special with a Harley that needs periodic fluid changes.
Ron
Whew, I thought I was the only one that didn't change brake fluid.

Ron, you are right on the money. Brake fluid does not deteriorate unless contaminated. DOT5 does not absorb moisture. I am an old auto mechanic, hotrodder and bike builder and in all my years I have never just changed brake fluid as a maintenance item.

An for the guy that said new fluid made the brakes feel better, you cannot compress a fluid, no matter what it is so you must have had air in the system that you bled out thus making the lever stiffer. And for the recommendatin at every 10k miles - hell, I would be doing this twice a year !

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
Ron
Ron, the systems are not completly sealed and dot 4 absorbs water and the problem with that is all the metal parts corrode. Nowadays most cars have a $1000 abs pump/module assy that wont tolerate any corrosion. I've replaced plenty on vehicles that haven't been maintained. Dot 5 is not norm in cars. Cheap insurance. Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to Replace Brake Fluid?