General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perpaid Maintenance Contract

Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM
shiltpold
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Perpaid Maintenance Contract

Back in September 2007, I purchased a 2007 EG Classic from Republic HD in Stafford, Texas. I also opted to purchase the 48 month pre-paid maintenance contract from Republic at the same time. The salesman that this contract included unlimited service and oil changes at 2,500 mile intervals as well as a free upgrade to synthetic lubricants. Since then I have put over 22,000 miles on the bike, and no problems with either the bike or Republic.
Earlier this week, I took the bike in for the 22,500 mile service, and the guy at the desk asked me if I had heard about the NEW prepaid maintenance policy. I said no, please tell me about it. He told me that the new service manager had said that they were no longer going to cover the 2,500 mile interval service under the prepaid maintenance, only the 5,000 mile interval services. In addition, the bike owner would have to pay the upgrade cost to synthetic lubricants at the 5,000 mile maintenance.
The guy at the desk is OK, just the messenger. I said, let me talk to this new service manager, so he took me over there, but the service manager was out for a couple of days. The assistant waived the fee for this 22,500 service since I had not been notified. Gee, thanks. They said to call back on Thursday.
Got home and looked at the contract. It clearly states 4 years unlimited services and free upgrade to synthetic oils.
Called the service manager on Thursday to discuss the situation. He told me that they were only going to cover the maintenance at 5,000 miles because that is what is recommended in the Harley maintenance schedule in the owners manual. I pointed out that the contract was with Republic, not Harley, and the contract says unlimited. Also told him that free upgrade to synthetic is clearly stated in the contract. He did not have an answer for that.
The service manager is no longer there, I but finally set up a meeting with the operations manager yesterday. I had copies of the contract and of all service tickets at 2,500 mile intervals. This guy says that Republic thinks that the service interval is subject to interpretation, and Republic is going to follow the manufacturers 5,000 schedule regardless of the agreement.
I kept my temper under control and did not threaten any legal action, but apparently some other contract owners before me have threatened. He said Harley has lawyers on staff, and they would handle any legal issues.
In summary, they already have the money, and have decided that they are going to change the terms of the contract. He even went as far as to tell me that they are not going to ask me to pay for the service done at the 2,500 mile intervals. The arrogance of this dealer blows me away.
I am not sure of my next step yet, maybe small claims court
Just wonder if other dealers are doing the same thing.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM
pottsy
Road Master

That's tough, but it sounds like you have a binding contract. If they keep pushing the issue, asked them to have THEIR attorneys review the contract they signed. They will either drop the issue, and honor it, or if they do have the attorney look at it, they might find they are in the wrong. Happened to me with an apartment rental agreement once.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shiltpold
In summary, they already have the money, and have decided that they are going to change the terms of the contract. He even went as far as to tell me that they are not going to ask me to pay for the service done at the 2,500 mile intervals.
I'm not sure I understand what your beef with them is. Unless it's the synthetic issue. Or did you mistype the above statement?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious - does the contract with them specify "2,500 mile" intervals or "regular" maintenance intervals and state the synthetic upgrade?

Sammi

Last edited by Sammi; 02-18-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

That happened to me in Dallas. I threatened a legal action and they quickly stated they would honor the contract. After all, it IS a CONTRACT!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I'm not sure I understand what your beef with them is. Unless it's the synthetic issue. Or did you mistype the above statement?
Sounds like they are telling him they are "being cool" by not having him pay for all the 2500 mile oil changes he's already received.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
flylock
Tourer

talk to an attorney. maybe your state attorney general's office can help.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:45 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would tell him I'm cancelling the contract(opting out) as you are allowed to do and get your money back, prorated of course. When enough people do this, see how his little scam of his is working then. This is a complete ripoff.

There was someone on here a couple of weeks ago saying the same thing about another dealer.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And.....tell him you'll be taking all your Harley business to another dealer and spreading the word about what he tried to pull on you.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
And.....tell him you'll be taking all your Harley business to another dealer and spreading the word about what he tried to pull on you.
+1

Sammi

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Perpaid Maintenance Contract