General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hp and torque from stock 88?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 PM
rde
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hp and torque from stock 88?

What kind of Hp and torque can you expect out of a stock 88? Would you expect to see much difference with slip ons plus a higher flow air cleaner? I would imagine these mods would add very little overall.

I am sure I have seen some stock numbers before, but maybe somebody can give me a range to expect out of a stock engine.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:05 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hp and torque from stock 88?

It varies a bit from bike to bike.

Typically mid ~ high 60's for both. THere are a number of variables including: family of bike (Dyna, Touring, Softail), carb vs. EFI, etc...

Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 PM
rde
Road Captain

Thanks for the information.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:31 PM
Billyboy
Intermediate

Just had my bike dyno tuned and a dyno run this past Saturday. I have a 2005 RK Classic with Samson true dual headers, Rush slip ons, PCIII USB, and Ness Big Sucker intake. Before the tuning - 61HP, 65lb/ft, after tuning - 74.4HP, 78.9lb/ft. Just goes to show tuning fuel injection makes a difference. If I'm not mistaken, factory is somewhere around 60?

Bill

Old 05-24-2006, 11:35 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MCNews has stock 88 twin-cams dynoing in at low 70's for tq and low 60's for hp.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/JAN06Pindx1.pdf

Would you expect to see much difference with slip ons plus a higher flow air cleaner?
Actually, you pick up around 10 hp for slipons and a/c. The air filter is the biggest restriction on your bike. The rest of the engine is pretty balanced.

The following users liked this post:
Jgetz80 (09-02-2020)
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll let you know tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:13 AM
rde
Road Captain

Good info-thanks

I have an 06 FXDWGI with an Arlen Ness Big Sucker and SE II's. Engine is stock. Had a custom map on my PC III and dyno today. I got Max Hp at 70.86 and Max Torque at 73.24. Sounds about right from what you guys tell me.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:30 AM
00glider
Cruiser

Just an FYI, but if you stop by your dealer and ask for a SE parts catalog, there are all sorts of dyno charts in it for various "staged" upgrades that H-D offers - comparing them to stock.

Also, visit the Latus Harley dealer's web site from Portland, OR. http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com/default.asp.
Under the "Service" menu, click under the "Dyno charts" option. Under it they have cataloged literally hundrends of customer runs, all conveniently organized.

Knock yourself out.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm new to Harley(haven't got mine yet, have a Buell now) , but I don't understand how a 88cc motor makes 20 less HP and a few less Torque than the Buell XB12S which is 71cc sportster moter (although one worked over by Eric Buell). 70 and 70 dosen't seem like enough. Not to get off subject but how is the acceleration on a stock Harley. I don't expect it to beat a Ducati but it should be able to whip most cars. I'm an acceleration junkie but don't want a V-rod. Pardon me if I steal some of the thread.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:57 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm new to Harley(haven't got mine yet, have a Buell now) , but I don't understand how a 88cc motor makes 20 less HP and a few less Torque than the Buell XB12S which is 71cc sportster moter (although one worked over by Eric Buell). 70 and 70 dosen't seem like enough. Not to get off subject but how is the acceleration on a stock Harley. I don't expect it to beat a Ducati but it should be able to whip most cars. I'm an acceleration junkie but don't want a V-rod. Pardon me if I steal some of the thread.
Torque is a product of displacement for the most part. You can get a little more out of it if you have a more efficient engine. The buell makes around the same torque by having a similar displacement engine with slightly better efficency. It makes more hp by spinning the motor higher. Get a twin cam to spin higher and you will make more hp. For example, a 600 cc sport bike will have 40 lbs of torque but 100 hp because it can spin the engine to 12K rpm. So torque = product of displacement and efficiency. Hp = product of spinning the engine real high.

Yes, a stock Harley can whip most cars. Look at the 1/4 mi. times at the link I posted.

Oh ya, I think the buell also lays down more rear wheel horsepower because it is more efficient at transfering the power to the rear wheel. Sportster engines have buell heads and you can put in buell cams and raise the rev limit to have essentially the same engine, but the sportster will show less power on the dyno. That's the case because the buell lays down the power more efficiently with less loss. At least that is the explanation I have been told that makes the most sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hp and torque from stock 88?