Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:23 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Issues

I have an 07 Road King Classic. I took it out for the first time today, since I live in Minnesota. My Cruise Control is not working properly. It only works once and a while. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:38 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

One possibility is a failing Speedometer sensor. You would know it by the speedometer acting funny and the blinkers not working at the time of the failure. It wouldn't want to idle either. Also check the connections of your Roll Off cable. Those are the two connectors at the right side of the neck of the frame between the gas tank and triple tree. IF they aren't getting good contact, they can fail the system. Just pull them apart and plug them back together.

Now those are things I would expect on an 02, I'm guessing the 07's are about the same.

Beary

Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say it does not work what do you mean?

With the cruise control on my 07 SG you have to let the cruise control "catch up". Or it will shut off.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM
pxs130
Cruiser

+1 on the roll-off switch. Replaced my idle cable this winter and dont have any more problems. I've heard that you can disconnect one of the connections to fix the problem, but I ended up replacing the whole cable.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

This is a helpful thread for diagnosing cruise control problems:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...and-codes.html

Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by pxs130
+1 on the roll-off switch. Replaced my idle cable this winter and dont have any more problems. I've heard that you can disconnect one of the connections to fix the problem, but I ended up replacing the whole cable.
Good suggestion, I forgot about that. Actually I think you can disconnect both of them and it will work if the roll-off switch is the problem. You just won't be able to turn off the cruise off from the throttle.

Beary

Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM
bryce95racing
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. i just tried the cruise diagnosis, but, it would not work. my brake light keeps coming on, and i can hear clicking from around the seat area. my brake light stays on also, so i am wondering if its not the wiring itself.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bryce95racing
Thanks for the replies. i just tried the cruise diagnosis, but, it would not work. my brake light keeps coming on, and i can hear clicking from around the seat area. my brake light stays on also, so i am wondering if its not the wiring itself.
do you happen to have a HD run turn brake module? i did and when i had a bulb go out all hell broke loose TSSM went ape**** and the run turn module would just sit there and click. i cant say if it affected my cruise because i never tried it when i was having the issue, but the TSSM reset procedure cured my problem. might be worth a shot fr you if you do have a run turn brake module.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure there's no gap between your front brake lever / master cyl. ***. and the twist grip ***.same thing happend to me after I mounted my sirius radio on the handlebar there's a micro switch that the brake lever holds down if ther's a gap there the switch won't have enough pressure on it.I had a problem with my cruise going off intermittently like every time I hit a bump.A buddy behind me said my brake light was flashing. You could jiggle the brake lever and get the brake light to stay on solid.(This is on my 08 eglide the 07 might be set up different.)

Last edited by D2R; 03-22-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

If the '07 is like the '06,there is a cable that connects to the throttle body and the cruise control module.When I had to replace the throttle cable on mine I lubed the criuse control cable.Would be a good idea to check the cable.
There is also a cable adjustment and cable lash initialization procedure.
A service manual would be a big help.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Issues