Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grips for Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM
rayers
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated grips for Road Glide

I am coming from a 2001 Low Rider to a 08 Road Glide. My hands got pretty cold on the low rider so I thought about heated grips on the new ride.
But I hear that there is a huge difference because of the fairing, and that my hands will not get nearly as cold hence no need for the heated grips.
What do you think, are they worth the cost (about $450 installed, w/ internal wiring)

Old 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by rayers
I am coming from a 2001 Low Rider to a 08 Road Glide. My hands got pretty cold on the low rider so I thought about heated grips on the new ride.
But I hear that there is a huge difference because of the fairing, and that my hands will not get nearly as cold hence no need for the heated grips.
What do you think, are they worth the cost (about $450 installed, w/ internal wiring)
I'd ride a while on the RG..... coming from NO fairing to the RG, I was blown away by how much colder I could stand riding the RG,

that being said... I'm PRO-heated gear.... you can store electric glove, the harness, and a controller in a saddle bag for those days that turn cool. Many of us, run the pig tail, up the slot on the seat for the backrest. You never know it's there unless you plug in.

Gerbing makes the HD brand.... and you can save money by buying at the outlet store
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

I used to laugh at the guys with electrics..... then I found out it's better to be a warm wuss, than a cold hard ****...

Old 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
MACHD03
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rayers
Dont waist your money, they just keep the bottom of your hands warm, I have them and wish I would never had gottem them. Get good gloves or electric ones. I've had them for one winter here in SC, finger tips still get cold. By and good thinsulate liner for your gloves they work just as well. Just my 2 cents.

Mac

Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
rayers
Intermediate

That is good to know. That would save me a bundle. Besides it doesn't get that cold here that often. Its mainly when I go on long trips there have been times I have missed them. Some fellow riders were not feeling the pain cuz they had heated grips. But - Heated gloves sound like the answer.......Thanks

I have been asking a lot of questions (adjustable or fixed backrest, best seat and heated grips) becuz my bike is in the shop waiting for some of these upgrades. I need to make the call by tomorrow AM, just want to make the right call. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
SouthernAlberta
Intermediate

I just added the HD headed grips to my 08 RG and it was an interesting install. It took me about 3 hrs but if I ever did it again it would take half the time. I haven’t used the grips yet but I think it will be a nice addition. If you should decide to do the install, I would highly recommend you upgrade your bars at the same time. I went with the heritage bars which give a couple of inches more reach. To add the grips or change the bars you need to remove the fairing so you might as well make the change at the same time.

If you are adding the grips the extra time for changing the bar would be zero.

From your other posts, it looks like your bike will be a twin of mine.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

450 sounds way high. I think the wire is in there already, but I am not sure.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do get heated grips go with the Heat Demons they are a 100% better than the harley ones, I like them the best in the late fall and early spring they feel really nice on early morning's or riding home late in the evening they are well worth the money just for that IMHO!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 PM
SouthernAlberta
Intermediate

After doing the install, I think $450 is resonable but I like doing things myself. I dont\'t think the stealer is asking too much on this one. One wire is in the harness but you still have three other wires to connect (ground, hot, hot when ign on). If you follow the instructions you need to remove the seat tank, seat and install a connecter in the fuse box. Now that I have did the install I would not follow the instructions and splice into the wiring behind the fairing.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM
kurtlange
Tourer

+1 on the heat demons. http://www.heatdemons.com/ http://*******.com/dhcqhh

and if you were closer to me, i'd do your heat demons for $450...

Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM
rayers
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kurtlange
+1 on the heat demons. http://www.heatdemons.com/ http://*******.com/dhcqhh

and if you were closer to me, i'd do your heat demons for $450...
I'm sure you would..............Grin
The HD grips are about $230 plus 2+ hrs labor, the labor killed me.
I see the heat demons are $129, but I am having the heritage bars put on the RG at HD, makes sense to do it then I guess.

Quick Reply: Heated grips for Road Glide