Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79 Shovel Crankcase breather pugged off???

Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
luther
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Shovel Crankcase breather plugged off???

First post, old skool but haven't wrenched for 17 years. I picked up an old ratty 79 shovel a couple months ago. It wasn't running and the guy knew nothing about it. I had to do a bunch of work on it to get it going, even the key on the clutch hub was sheared, I think he was probably pulling it to get it started and popped the clutch. The compensator is real sloppy, I had to put a new ring gear on the clutch shell, put a kit in the solinoid and new bendix, also rewired the whole bike. The primary had been sealed off but they didn't leave a tube for it to breath. I sure have forgotten alot in 17 years but one thing that caught my eye right off was the plug in the crankcase breather. I know there were some EPA changes in the late 70's but I've never seen a plug where the breather pipe is supposed to be. I pulled the plug, let it drain and let it sit the whole time I was working on it, about a month. I finished the wiring job tonight along with a rebuild on the Keihin. She fired right up, no smoke, ran good but puked about a quart of oil. Now that's got me thinking, did someone put that plug in there because of the oil draining into the crankcase? Has anybody ever seen one plugged completely off? I can't imagine how the seals survived the pressure. So, that's my question, but I don't think it should be plugged, maybe the oil pump check valve is leaking. Appreciate any info, love the forum, but my eyes are getting weak from reading all the great posts.
BTW, when Elmer Trett made the move from Ohio to Georga, the first Georga motor he built was my 73 FX, 88" stroker. Thanks.

Last edited by luther; 04-06-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The breather shouldn't be plugged. The return line from the primary may be plugged if you have a sealed primary but the breather should not. The oil draining into the crankcase is probably from a leak down from the check valve ball. If I remember right in 79 they had the breather hose routed to the aircleaner. We always disconected it and ran it back to the rear chain where it belongs.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 AM
luther
6th Gear

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
The breather shouldn't be plugged. The return line from the primary may be plugged if you have a sealed primary but the breather should not. The oil draining into the crankcase is probably from a leak down from the check valve ball. If I remember right in 79 they had the breather hose routed to the aircleaner. We always disconected it and ran it back to the rear chain where it belongs.

Thanks for the reply. I know you're right about the crankcase breather, the first one I saw going to the aircleaner, I about had a fit. I've always closed the rear chain oiler off, ran an O-ring chain and sealed the primary. I'm sure the check valve is leaking oil back, but I don't know if or how long it was run with a plug in it. Hopefully it's just the steele ball in the pump.

When I ran a sealed primary, I always left the primary chain oiler tube in and put a short hose on it so no pressure would build up in the primarry when the oil got hot.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
KT77
Intermediate
Default Puking

Did it just puke the first ime you started it up? That would make sense after sitting for a long time. Maybe after you run it awhile the check ball will get in check Can't believe someone blocked off the 1/4" breather hole. That's jsut crazy. Good thing you caught it. Seems you haven't forgot to much! That's a good thing

Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
luther
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KT77
Did it just puke the first ime you started it up? That would make sense after sitting for a long time. Maybe after you run it awhile the check ball will get in check Can't believe someone blocked off the 1/4" breather hole. That's jsut crazy. Good thing you caught it. Seems you haven't forgot to much! That's a good thing

All the shovels I ever owned had a breather pipe screwed into the crankcase and the rear chain oiler was connected to the pipe. The pipe had a hose secured by a clamp under the tranny, that was pointed at the rear chain. This one had a plug in place of the breather pipe.

I always used a tsubaki (sp) O-ring chain, and turned the rear chain oiler screw all the way in. I also always ran a sealed primary.

I don't like the fact that the oil was sucked out of the primary and back into the motor. There's a lot of metal particles coming off the primary chain and sprokets, not to mention the ring gear, jack shaft and bendix. I don't trust the magnetic primary plug, although it does help some.

I haven't had it on the road yet, but it will puke oil everytime it sets overnight. Just to be sure, I'm going to replace the check valve ball, clean and reseat it.

An older biker told me long ago that once you get HD in yor blood, you'll never get rid of it, he was right, it took me 17 years. It has done wonders for me to have this project. Before I got married for the last time, I had a sporty in the kitchen and a shovelhead in the living room. Those were the days, about 29 years ago.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
KT77
Intermediate
Default Puking

Yes it isn't a bad idea to replace the ball, Oil does get acidic after awhile. I run all my bikes wet clutch too, Only way to fly.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I never liked the oil returning from the primary to the oil system magnet or not I run belt drive primaries in all my bikes now ( all the dry clutch systems ) The engine still has to breath obviously I usually run 8 mm belt drive systems I do certain things to the inner prim for proper belt adjustment I do not run belt idlers but I do like my belts to have 1/2 in play cold Call me if you have any questions 608-847-4240 AND welcome home Luther !

Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
luther
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
welcome home Luther !

Thanks for the welcome home.

I've ran the 8 mm before, also ran one with the idler but didn't care for the premature wear on the flat side of belt. Thinking about another belt for this old shovel, the compensating sprocket is worn out and there doesn't seem to be a replacement for it, also the lip on the engine case is cracked so it's gonna have to be a dry run.