General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Warranty "Tire and Wheel Coverage"

Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Warranty "Tire and Wheel Coverage"

Hello,

I have the Harley Extended Warranty "Tire and Wheel Coverage"

Just what does this coverage give me?

I thought that it would cover replacement of normally worn tires, but my local dealer said no, only "Road Hazard" damage,

What did I pay $200.00 for???

Name:  securedownload.jpg
Views: 5546
Size:  74.2 KB

Old 04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't you have it explained to you or read the policy before you bought it? It will pay for a road hazard. If you riding and get a screw in your tire (wink, wink) and have 3/32 of thread they will put a new one on. From your picture I would say you had a little less then 3/32.

The following users liked this post:
dragonhog (03-17-2019)
Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most tire warranties are for road hazards and material defects. They are also generally prorated. You paid $200 in case you run over a nail. Most warranties are not worth buying. You will normally get $25 toward a new tire purchase, if you can get them to honor the warranty at all.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I declined the tire and wheel coverage on my extended warranty Superglide a few years ago. 2 weeks later I parked on a broken Bud Lite bottle in a parking lot and shredded a perfectly new tire. $160.00 later, who knew? Hopefully you'll never use the coverage, but one bad pothole, a bent wheel and blown tire can run you a lot more than the $200.00 you spent.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Daehawc
Tourer

I had a previous post regarding this when I got a nail in my tire with just over 3/32 tread left. My dealer refused to replace the tire and instead only replaced the tube saying that that "fixed" the problem. By letter of the contract it says they will repair or replace a damaged tire or wheel if it occurs with more than 3/32" of tread remaining. Less than that and you are riding on an unserviceable tire and nothing is covered. It does not cover replacement tires due to wear. This is all referring to the Extended Service Contract with Tire/Wheel coverage. The dealer I bought my bike from also offered a plan that would replace tires due to wear but that was only applicable at that dealer. Since my job requires me to move often I didn't buy it. Check your contract and read it like a lawyer. Depending on what you bought your coverage may vary. Also, most dealers will try to find any out so that they don't have to deal with the warranty company. Good luck.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Most tire warranties are for road hazards and material defects. They are also generally prorated. You paid $200 in case you run over a nail. Most warranties are not worth buying. You will normally get $25 toward a new tire purchase, if you can get them to honor the warranty at all.
Where do you get your information? The HD wheel and tire covers the cost of the tire and the mounting and balance and a tow, in full. It also covers lodging and meals in some cases when traveling. HD does not require any out of pocket payment from you. Most do not prorate the cost but do require that 4/32nd inch of tread remains. Even the policy sold by Road America covers full cost of tire and mounting and towing but not lodging or meals and you have to pay out of pocket and then submit bills for reimbursment.

I've used mine twice. It paid for it'self the first time. Do the math, if you have a flat while away from home you're not in a position to bargin on the internet and wait for a cheap tire to be shipped. If you really want to clean up, just run a drywall screw into you tire before it gets below 4/32nds and you'll never buy a tire again.

dragonhog (03-17-2019)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:35 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer

I was never given any option for any coverage of wheels and tires. Basically I was told that was not covered regardless.

I can't help but find some humor in the fact that anyone would think Harley is gonna keep replacing your tires when there's no tread left.....

maurino17 (06-01-2021)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 PM
MISFIT456
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has worked for me....screw in tire.... no hassle from dealer and no questions asked.

dragonhog (03-17-2019)
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
n4toc
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wecroft
Where do you get your information? The HD wheel and tire covers the cost of the tire and the mounting and balance and a tow, in full. It also covers lodging and meals in some cases when traveling. HD does not require any out of pocket payment from you. Most do not prorate the cost but do require that 4/32nd inch of tread remains. Even the policy sold by Road America covers full cost of tire and mounting and towing but not lodging or meals and you have to pay out of pocket and then submit bills for reimbursment.

I've used mine twice. It paid for it'self the first time. Do the math, if you have a flat while away from home you're not in a position to bargin on the internet and wait for a cheap tire to be shipped. If you really want to clean up, just run a drywall screw into you tire before it gets below 4/32nds and you'll never buy a tire again.

I have the tire and wheel protection on my RK. I "picked up" an automotive trim screw in my rear tire at 13,000 miles with 4/32" tread remaining. I took it to my local dealer, not my selling dealer, they replaced the tire at no charge. I'm pretty sure something will happen to my front tire before it is worn out...

Old 04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wecroft

I'm glad it worked out for you. I see how a $200 warranty that will keep you from ever buying another tire can be a good deal. Everyone should buy one of those. I would.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley Warranty "Tire and Wheel Coverage"