Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Drag pipes and performance????

Old 06-01-2006, 04:45 PM
Chatham Bob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag pipes and performance????

I'm considering putting some very short drag pipes on my Street Bob. I really like the ones on FXDBI's (member name) bike https://www.hdforums.com/m_479002/tm.htm ...those look real mean. I'm guessing those are cut, FXDBI? anyone?
I'm no speed freak, but I do enjoy reaching the speed limit quick. That being said...what can I do to help with the overall performance of my bike with pipes like FXDBI has? I want to do the best I can to keep my low and mid range. I'm planning on getting a Power Commander and an air cleaner. I like the look of the Bad Azz V Charger or a spike...suggestions? What about insert baffles? Cones?
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Steeltown
Tourer
Default RE: Drag pipes and performance????

Drag pipes, with no baffles, will send your HP right out the exhaust...there are plenety of pipes with plenty of great sound that will not decrease your horsepower

Old 06-01-2006, 06:45 PM
twowheelsforever
Tourer

I was also under the impression that the new Street Bobs have the O2 sensors for the fuel injection mounted right into the exhaust, which probably limits the selection of pipes available...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 PM
toolbox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to suggest a possibility, My wife recently got a street bob & they do have o2 sensor exhaust set-up--limited availabilty on whats out there. We ended up putting BASSANI pro street exhaust on hers-----sounds very good, has great appearence & PERFORMANCE, havent had it dynoed yet but just has screamin eagle air cleaner & stage one download---Would recommend pcIII usb if available & have it properly tuned on dyno once your pipes are on. Hears a pic of her bike.
Good luck on the exhaust hunt.
RIDE HARD LIVE FREE<
TOOLBOX

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/7C00D0BEF8D14803B77E1C89707498D6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/1C6C990CD54D4C489BE760F2133D67CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2006, 01:03 AM
soz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Steeltown

Drag pipes, with no baffles, will send your HP right out the exhaust...there are plenety of pipes with plenty of great sound that will not decrease your horsepower

Actually they increase HP, what i believe you meant was torque. They will hurt your low/mid torque a bit and thats the problem cause thats where most of us ride.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:58 PM
95BadBoy
Cruiser

the lollypop trick will help on stright pipes. The SERT has more adjustments than
the PCIII good for dyno tunning.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:35 AM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Drag pipes are good for one thing and one thing only- WIDE F.....G OPEN! It's foolish to install them and then screw around with lollipops to try to make them what they're not. You need a certain amount of exhaust volume to make low end power and skinny old drag pipes just don't have it.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:20 AM
tripl8
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drag pipes worked well on Pans ..thats about it.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 836 Likes on 411 Posts

The reason drag pipes are called drag pipes is because short WFO races is the only thing they're good for. A reasonable amount of scavenging is required for making decent power over a wider range of engine rpm's. Often described as the result of backpressre, scavenging actually results from the tuned or reasonant frequency of the exhaust pipes. A proper reasonant frequency results from the right combination of pipe length, diameter, and baffeling. Drag pipes produce a single reasonant frequency only at very high engine rpm's.

Science aside, I personally hate drag pipes. They irritate everyone, especially non-bikers, and they, as much as anything, will incur the ire of the EPA and cause its wrath to descend on everyone. And nobody can make a good public case in defense of drap pipes.

Uncle Peepers

Old 06-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Chatham Bob
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies...I'm really just at a stand still. I feel like most all of the aftermarket exhausts for Dynas look pretty much the same.. Yeah, a different angle of slash or a staggered a litte but pretty much the same. Those drags on FXDBI's are just sick looking.
Sounds like Peepers is still running stocks too....he sounds bitter. I'm just giving you hell. I obviously disagree with you and have seen plenty of pics of other members' bikes on this site that disagree as well. I understand the performance drawbacks as well, but am having trouble deciding if the aesthetic value outweighs the performance.
Also....this board is great! A wealth of knowledge.

I wanted my pipes yesterday!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag pipes and performance????