Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock air pressure

Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear shock air pressure

The benifit of a really long, multi day ride is you get the chance to note all the quirks and try certain tests.

I bought the HD shock pump just before leaving with a view to trying different pressures as I was heavily loaded. Started day 1 at 18psi and noticed a disconcerting speed wobble at 90 mph (not life threatening but irritating)

Next day pumped her up to 22psi, it was a different back and she sat down beautifully.

Not saying this will remedy all wobbles, but it certainly made a massive difference in my case

Old 04-22-2009, 04:45 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to trade in my '08 Ultra because it handle so poorly it was borderline dangerous. I was just about to purchase a bagger brace to see if it would help. One night I was looking through the manual and came across the suspension section. So on a hunch I bought one of those air pumps as well. The stupid dealer I bought the bike from only had 5 psi in the shocks. I am fat (6'2" 300lbs.) so I pumped up the shocks to 20 psi right of the bat. Man what a difference! it was like a completely different bike. I now ride between 25 and 20. I no longer feel the need to purchase the bagger brace. ( I am not saying that it is not a good product or not needed so don't jump on me). I carry that little pump with me everywhere. Now if I can just get the issues in my front suspension figured out. Good post sgdiesel.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Dune2008
Novice

I have a '09 Ultra and 2-up I need to run 40 psi or I seem to bottom out all the time. Im 200lbs and the GF is tiny....my '03 Classic never seemed to have this issue. I also have the HD pump. Anyone else have a 'bottoming-out' issue?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Bamboo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dune2008
I have a '09 Ultra and 2-up I need to run 40 psi or I seem to bottom out all the time. Im 200lbs and the GF is tiny....my '03 Classic never seemed to have this issue. I also have the HD pump. Anyone else have a 'bottoming-out' issue?
Yup, ride with 40psi on my Street Glide solo is good and 50 psi. two-up. I am 235 and wife at 135. This thing bottoms like crazy on our roads at any lower!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by Dune2008
seems like you have something else going on here. there is no reason you should be bottoming out with less pressure than that.

Originally Posted by hellmut73
Now if I can just get the issues in my front suspension figured out.
i replaced the stock fork fluid with the se heavy (not the race) and am really liking that. give it a try and see. i followed iclicks post on changing the oil without having to tear the forks apart.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
slime_dog
Tourer

The pressure WILL leak out over time. So, the dealer may not have been negligent. The suspension pressure should be checked on a regular basis. It is also my opinion that the pump should be supplied as part of the purchase price since the pressue is a critical maintenance item - bordering on a safety item.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slime_dog
The pressure WILL leak out over time. So, the dealer may not have been negligent. The suspension pressure should be checked on a regular basis. It is also my opinion that the pump should be supplied as part of the purchase price since the pressue is a critical maintenance item - bordering on a safety item.
yes it does, and actually quicker that people may imagine. Also important to stress that this should be done with the bike cold, pressure varies significantly with temp of course

Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM
tmblweed
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bamboo
Yup, ride with 40psi on my Street Glide solo is good and 50 psi. two-up. I am 235 and wife at 135. This thing bottoms like crazy on our roads at any lower!
I run 30 PSI with the wife on board, no problems for us. Combined weigh about 400 lbs.

Last edited by tmblweed; 04-22-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

OK, here’s my question… I weigh about 140 soaking wet, yep, I’m a bean pole. So, I’ve been running it at zero psi per the HD manual. Any other skinny guys (or gals) out there running any pressure out there? The ride has been so good that I haven’t bothered playing with it yet.

I have also not purchased the pump yet… it’s on the list, but to be honest not at the top. I have a compressor that allows me to set the max pressure, so I’m thinking I may use that, but haven’t so far.

- Jerm

Old 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Agreed - the pump should come standard, but otherwise, everyone should have one. There's so little volume of air in the system that you can't use any ol' bicycle pump to get it right. Most pumps will bleed your air out when you detach. I run about 20 psi (200 lbs) alone and 30 when 2-up (maybe 330 lbs).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear shock air pressure