Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide radio problem

Old 06-01-2006, 05:44 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Road Glide radio problem

On the '02 Road Glide I just picked up, it has the HD AM/FM/Cassette player.
After it's on for a short time, the radio starts cutting out. Turn the radio off, leave it for a bit and turn it back on and it works fine for another while then acts up again. Same thing happens if using radio or cassette.

Googled a search and found some owners thinking that when the radio overheats, it acts up.
I don't lose the displays, just starts cutting out.

Service department at my dealer has never heard of this.

Any other owners out here have had the same problem?
What did dealer do to correct the problem?

Thanks,
Dale

Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Road Glide radio problem

News to me..........ask your dealer to give HD a call........they might have an answer. Could be a good time to install the Sony if you don't get any satisfaction.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:53 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an '02 RG and never had that problem but got tired of the cassette player and wanted a CD player. The HD radios were too expensive so I checked into after market radios that have a CD player, can also play MP3's (which you can put a ton of song on one CD) and also not lose the controls from the handle bars. I found such an animal at BikeTronics. They use Sony radios and have a wiring harness that just plugs into your existing HD set up. I've just ordered one for my 2003 Road Glide along with an XM Sattillite radio module. All in all I'm going to have the best of both worlds. Here is the link to the website if you or others would like to check into it: BikeTronics Retro Radio Kits Good Luck!! [8D]

Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cruise,

Check and see if your speakers have been replaced with aftermarket ones! If so, you're in the same boat I'm in! I've contacted the company that made HD radios (up until 2005), and the engineer there said that if we used aftermarket speakers, the radio can overheat.

The reason for this is that HD radio puts out 8ohms to its 8ohm speakers. Where, aftermarket speakers are only 4ohms. Thus, the radio has to work twice as hard to put out the same amount of volume to the 4ohm speakers. And, start to cut out to protect itself.

Now, according to the engineer, there is no one in the aftermarket world, who makes 8ohms speakers anymore. Your best bet is to change your radio to a 4ohm system, or change your speakers to somewhere closer to 8ohms as possible. For me, I ended up ordering the Hogtunes speakers, instead of changing out my radio (for now.) These speakers are rated at 6.5 ohms, which are better than the 4ohms (if you do have them.)

Again, this is what I was told. Check your speakers and let us know what you have.

Thanks,
Kahuna.

ORIGINAL: cruise_carter

On the '02 Road Glide I just picked up, it has the HD AM/FM/Cassette player.
After it's on for a short time, the radio starts cutting out. Turn the radio off, leave it for a bit and turn it back on and it works fine for another while then acts up again. Same thing happens if using radio or cassette.

Googled a search and found some owners thinking that when the radio overheats, it acts up.
I don't lose the displays, just starts cutting out.

Service department at my dealer has never heard of this.

Any other owners out here have had the same problem?
What did dealer do to correct the problem?

Thanks,
Dale

Old 06-02-2006, 04:51 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

Thanks Kahuna,
Was at the dealer today picking up the Hogtunes I ordered.
Will put them in this weekend.
Spoke to the guy who has the most knowledge about the radios and he said he's never heard of my problem.
Suggested that when I have the fairing front off and installing the speakers, that I check every connection and use dielectric grease on all the connections.

Will work on it and report back,
thanks everybody.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2000 EG with the cassette player and Infinity speakers. Never had any problems. The most common problem I know about is the left channel going dead.

Good luck with your problem.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Pick
Novice

Cruise,

Was planning on posting this very thing on HDF. This problem developed on my 01RG couple years back and I wrote it off to sub par HD speakers so spent the best C-note on Hogtunes - Well, still the best speaker you can buy, but the problem is still there but just sounds louder. Was hoping to get help on the forum - Today is Fannie-n-me's anniversary so I am confident she has a new Sony wrapped up somewhere for me -not- Still love the s**t out of her! Have seen Pez as the name associated with Hogtunes – Maybe he can help

Old 06-07-2006, 01:30 AM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

Update on problem..

Today took the fairing front off and found that the previous owner had replaced the stock speakers with a set of 120 watt Blaupunkt 4 ohm speakers. One of the speakers appeared to be wired wrong.

Took them out and put in a set of Hogtunes. Made sure the wiring was right this time.

Pulled all the electrical connectors, cleaned them and used dielectric grease on all the contacts.

For starts, the Hogtunes sound really, really good! Able to run the volume lower with better sound.
Went for a couple of long rides and the radio acted up once this afternoon. Powered off, left it for 5 minutes, powered up again and worked fine.

Took the better half out for a long cruise tonight and the radio worked fine.

Perhaps all that was needed on the radio end was to clean the connections and use the grease.
Will report back again after running the radio for another period of time to see if it will act up.

Dale

Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Dale,

Sounds like you have it pegged! I have just received my Hogtunes speakers yesterday, and will be putting them in this weekend. I have a pair of Kenwood 4ohms in mine too. Can't wait to hear those new speakers.
I'll let you know if mine acts up after the replacement.

Thanks,
Kahuna.

ORIGINAL: cruise_carter

Update on problem..

Today took the fairing front off and found that the previous owner had replaced the stock speakers with a set of 120 watt Blaupunkt 4 ohm speakers. One of the speakers appeared to be wired wrong.

Took them out and put in a set of Hogtunes. Made sure the wiring was right this time.

Pulled all the electrical connectors, cleaned them and used dielectric grease on all the contacts.

For starts, the Hogtunes sound really, really good! Able to run the volume lower with better sound.
Went for a couple of long rides and the radio acted up once this afternoon. Powered off, left it for 5 minutes, powered up again and worked fine.

Took the better half out for a long cruise tonight and the radio worked fine.

Perhaps all that was needed on the radio end was to clean the connections and use the grease.
Will report back again after running the radio for another period of time to see if it will act up.

Dale

Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain

Kahuna, did you get your speakers in?

Since putting mine in, the tunes have been great!
Radio has only acted up a couple of times.
Next time I pull the fairing front, going over all the connections again with cleaner and then grease.

That seems to have cured most of the problems.

Dale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Glide radio problem