Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

97 Wide Glide Starter Problems

Old 04-27-2009, 07:35 PM
jvincent4103
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 97 Wide Glide Starter Problems

I have a 97 wide glide with starter issues. After reading thread after thread i have done a couple things to try and fix the issue. It does engage and turn the engine over once but then disengages and spins. I changed the stater clutch with a "all ***** clutch" with no change. All internal parts look good to me. I cleaned up all the internals in the solenoid and still nothing. The battery is pretty new so it shouldn't be that but i am going to check it under load after it gets off the trickle charger tomorrow. Any help would be awesome! Thanks

Old 04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Checking primary chain. might be to tight.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:05 PM
jvincent4103
4th Gear

Ok i'll check it. Although nothing was changed and it has worked fine for 2 years.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM
jvincent4103
4th Gear

Just an update.... I think it must be an electrical problem. The battery tests good but i am without a manual for the time being and don't know were to begin with checking the wires to see if i have a bad wire in the system. It seems if i had more amps the starter would not disengage after encountering resistance. Just a thought. Let me know what you think.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, Try jumping it and see if the problem goes away.
Possible bad or loose cable?
Monitor battery voltage when cranking, that is a real load test, if the battery voltage drops below 10 volts you have a bad starter or a bad battery.
Check voltage at starter when cranking to verify cable is good.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That " disengages and spins " doesn't sound right It sounds like the new starter clutch is bad " no ***** " ?

Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM
jvincent4103
4th Gear

The thought has crossed my mind. (that the "new clutch is bad") Do you recommend stock HD parts? I know the starter is original with over 20,000 miles on the bike. I think i might just replace the whole starter with a OEM HD starter. Today i ruled out the battery and wiring. Everything is good and works as advertised.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When the starter clutch is bad it has a different sound than the starter turning over the motor almost like a whizzing sound ? I always used HD starter clutches on my starter rebuilds As to why ?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually if the starter clutch is bad they will slip or squeal, if it cranks and them kicks out on the first go round it is usually because the starter is not keeping up with the motor.

I will recommend again to jump it and see if there is any change, then do the voltage tests.

Or you can continue to throw money at it when you could be out riding.

I don't trust the battery load test you had done, as it does not fully load the battery like a cold start would. Most hand held load testers do not stress the battery, they put a light load on it and extrapolate the data.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:11 PM
jvincent4103
4th Gear

I checked the battery at the posts and at the starter while holding the start button and it never dropped lower than 10.4 at either location. All wires involved in the start system show no resistance at all. Its not making a squeal or grinding sound at all except when it tries to reengage the starter ring gear. Motor outrunning the starter actually sounds about right. Is it possible for a starter motor to wear out and start spinning slower?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Wide Glide Starter Problems