Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scallops and Flake - New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 AM
ky_ace
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scallops and Flake - New Paint

I finally went to pick up my paint. It wasn't as well put together as I had hoped for and there are a few mistakes I'm not real happy with. For the money I paid, I guess my complaints are too picky. I still have about 5 hours of polishing ahead of me and some Meguiar's NXT Gen 2.0 waxing to do as well.

Later,

BM

Last edited by ky_ace; 05-11-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:14 AM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good in the pics.....can't wait to see it assembled on the bike

Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

spahkley

Old 05-11-2009, 05:21 AM
gabulldog
Tourer

I can understand your frustrations, I am painting my bike now and I am amazed at the work involved to get a 1st class custom paint job. You DO have a lot of work ahead of you wet sanding and polishing but it will come around. Just make sure you got enough clear coat to work with. You'll be surprised how good it will look.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:31 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't put wax on it for a while. I would use Meguires #7 polish. As posted, make sure it has enough clear on it before you machine polish. Maybe a hand strip of silver between the scallops and base color would be cool. Then clear it and #7 then wax.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:17 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master

The paint looks great! It's looks pretty subtle and the transitions aren't contrasted as much since they are both dark colors...it's a pretty clean look! Although, Timberland did have an idea with the silver outlining the scallops! but hey...Your scoot...your decision!

good Luck on the polishing...always an arduous rask!

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You don't say if the problem is trash in the paint or orange peel or both. You can deal with both if there's enough clear on the bike as gabulldog said earlier.

I'm resolving similar issues with my painter as I type this mainly because there isn't that much involved and correcting these will be the difference between a very good paint job and an excellent paint job.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck, it looks like you've got a great start. Looking forward to the finished product.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:16 PM
ky_ace
Road Master

no trash, no orange peel, no runs. It's workmanship. There are a couple dark spots where the gun spit pearl. there's a small spot on the top of the bag near the lid where he burned through with the buffer on the corner. There are things about the #1 I don't like because it's got somewhat crooked lines and the scallop on the FF is about .5 in off being centered the entire way up the fender, and the scallops on the bags are about 1" difference between the sides.

About the polish, It has quite a bit of clear on it. the scallops are buried in clear and can't feel the transition. I'm using Meg. Mirror Glaze#7 and NXT Gen 2.0 Wax as stated. I'm going to Dawn the parts after I glaze them and then I'll wax them in a week or so. The front fender is the only "green" part. The rest has cured for about 3 weeks.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Fat Boy Tim
Tourer

I Like the Paint, Sure is gonna make a difference in the bike.

Tim

Quick Reply: Scallops and Flake - New Paint