Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Slow crank

Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM
GaCracker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow crank

I took my 08 Electra Glide Classic in to the Harley dealer to check slow crank problem they said the battery was in good shape and gave it back to me, I was talking to a man who has 08 ultra se and he said they have recall for heads because of decompression valve and they replaced his for that problem, has anyone else heard this?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done a lot of work with this engine and one of the things I ran into was slow cranking, like there was a heavy load.
My compression releases didn't seem to be helping. Just spit.

Did all normal things.

Bigger + battery cables, doubled up the ground, one straight to a bolt on the starter.
new battery, An Odessy?.
Still slow.
Adjusted timing at low RPM, not much help.
Fooled around with different maps trying to get close.

Finnaly after a lot of people talked about not enough starting fuel, I figured, try less. Did a bold move, minus 20 across the board. Fired right up. Did some fine tuning. Much better now. Starting timing back to where it should be more or less normal.
Maybe lifters are leaking down when stopped hot, which is for sure will happen.
Now I have installed lifter travel limiters so thats no problem, can only leak down a little.
IAC is set to pick up the starting RPM. TTS Mastertune has a thing for starting IAC increaser which is like opening the throddle a little like the old days. Then runs on setpoint.

Now I push the releases, sometime I forget, turn the switches, do not touch the throddle, hit the button and BOOM it's running. Hot or cold. 1300 RPM for starters. There is a time thing built in I think, 10-15 seconds or so.

Those are some of the things I found fooling around this thing.
So comes down to a tuning issue. For me anyway. How about that? If you have the tools try these things before spending a lot on parts, etc.
Biggest was starting fuel.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 05-15-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Gunny I don't think Crackers SE has all that you got...
don't even know if he's got a tuner to change anything..

Wondering why the dealer just said its not the battery,,, here's your bike....
don't think I would have bought that..

Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your right. Overreached.
I was suprised how much tuning has to do with sounding just like a low or weak battery.

I figure an 08 bike with compression releases means there is somethiong going on.
Need a tuner and learn how to use it if you go past changing mufflers. Hate being at dealers mercy. Any kind of dealer.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 05-16-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:53 AM
GaCracker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replys I was sick all weekend so didnt get to look back at threads, I do have a tuner PC 5 I have leaned some from orig. settings and boy does she run like a scolded dog now but still have that lag when starting I still think has batt. issue because voltage is down around 9 when starting I am a auto tech so I know a little about electrical problems, got same old dealer bull when took in I may just go and buy another battery and take old one back for refund and tell them it left me stranded. lol

Old 05-18-2009, 09:47 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would disconnect,clean and properly tighten your battery connections and the ground connection to the frame. I worked on my bike a few years ago, where I had to disconnect the battery, a few weeks later I noticed it was starting slower. When I took the battery connections off there was a thin film of corrosion on them. After I cleaned and properly tightened them, the bike started normally again.
I would have sworn that I had tightened the cables after doing the work the first time, but since I was the only one that worked on the bike it had to be me, that left them just loose enough, to build up corrison.
Tom

Old 05-18-2009, 01:45 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GaCracker
I took my 08 Electra Glide Classic in to the Harley dealer to check slow crank problem they said the battery was in good shape and gave it back to me, I was talking to a man who has 08 ultra se and he said they have recall for heads because of decompression valve and they replaced his for that problem, has anyone else heard this?
They DID have a recall of Screamin' Eagle bikes, but that has nothing to do with your EGC. The SE bikes have a 110 cid engine with different heads and higher compression. Apples vs oranges. You should NOT be having a slow cranking problem with your stock 96 cid engine. The battery in your bike may be fine, but you still have a problem. Insist that your dealer find out what that problem is.