Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike has a hard time going into Neutral.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Inked624
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike has a hard time going into Neutral.

I was riding my bike in my driveway, and after a while i was having a hard time getting it in Neutral. After initially riding it for a few minutes, it would go into Neutral no problem. When i park it in the garage, i like to keep in that gear, but it seems to be chore to get it there. Anyone know why this is?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

Try adjusting your clutch either at the basket or on the cable. Then use some redline heavy shockproof in the tranny. That should do the trick. The service manual outlines clutch adjustment.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Has anybody changed the primary oil lately? If the clutch has been adjusted, was it done on a cold drive train? There s acaution in my Service manual concerning to much oil and difficulty in finding neutral.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Changed mine last weekend. I adjusted the clutch also (long story.... ) anyway, manual says to adjust the clutch at room temp. which should be considered to be about 72deg F. Which means just before riding, or several hours after.

Streetbob, I would change out the tranny fluid to either Redline HD shockproof, or Mobil-1 75/140. I run Redline and finding neutral after bike is hot is no problem. Shifts pretty smooth.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

riding in the driveway? is your drive way like ten miles long? If you give her a good runn the tranny should come back to normal by itself. Is it new? sometimes they go in nuetral real easy sometimes not,it's a harley! Do what those guys said too they are not wrong...not 1 of them! LOL enjoy your info overload!? your about to get 1000 different opinions!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetBob624
I was riding my bike in my driveway, and after a while i was having a hard time getting it in Neutral. After initially riding it for a few minutes, it would go into Neutral no problem. When i park it in the garage, i like to keep in that gear, but it seems to be chore to get it there. Anyone know why this is?
There are two reasons for hard nuetral location for both hot and cold. As it heats up the oil drag on the clutch is less. This makes it easier to shift with a light touch. This is a cold symptom, where the cold oil sticks the plates together or drag fluid over the plates. If you are have problems getting into nuetral when hot, the clutch is not disengaging enough and dragging. As the bike gets hot, everything in the clutch pack expands and the actual clutch lever clearance will be more. (try it hot and cold and you'll see this) With less disengage travel when hot the plates won't separate as much causing drag and that pain in the *** missing nuetral each time. A correct clutch adjustment will cure this each and every time. In your case, you have too much clearance in the adjustment.
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 05-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you trying to shift while sitting still? If you are, that's the problem.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny
Are you trying to shift while sitting still? If you are, that's the problem.
Hmmm, if you can't, my post will help you.
Ron

Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

I would also try rocking the bike a little back and fourth, that usually does the trick for me if i cant find neutral, but i never really had all that much of a problem

Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 AM
sycle1
Tourer

My 08 SB had the same problem from new and still is even after 10,000miles still is hard to find neutral.
Its also impossible to get neutral unless the motor is going.
Clutch has been adjusted by dealer fluid is correct level still hard to find neutral.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bike has a hard time going into Neutral.